TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old Today, 01:42 AM   #1
answare
Cadet

Economy of the Federation

Since Federation citizens pay for drinks etc. at Quark's bar and other non-UFP establishments, is the credit basically UFP currency? Does it say that credits are earned for work, or that they're exchanged for goods and services within the Federation, ie. transporter or replicator use for non-Starfleet?
answare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #2
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Economy of the Federation

The whole "there's no money in the future" thing is silly and unrealistic. The argument that it's somehow worse than a barter system doesn't really make any sense because, at its most basic form, currency is just regulated barter. All it does is give a quantifiable relative value to the goods and services being traded.

"The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives," is a fine ideal to live by. But wealth and money are mutually exclusive. Just because a person collects a paycheck doesn't mean it's the primary reason he does his job.

As far as people paying for things, the simplest answer is they're granted some kind of stipend to spend on non-Federation worlds. You know ... a paycheck.
Old Today, 03:16 AM   #3
nonbelligerency
Ensign

View nonbelligerency's Twitter Profile

It was never a completely straightforward doctrine. I remember in one of the first episodes of TNG, Crusher buys a whole bolt of cloth on a planet and has it 'charged to Dr. Crusher on the Enterprise' - or something similar.

answare wrote: View Post
Since Federation citizens pay for drinks etc. at Quark's bar and other non-UFP establishments, is the credit basically UFP currency? Does it say that credits are earned for work, or that they're exchanged for goods and services within the Federation, ie. transporter or replicator use for non-Starfleet?
nonbelligerency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #4
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

My answer to this question is that it is almost useless to examine closely, because they are using a system that has been discovered/developed between now and then that is superior to our own. But by definition, we CAN'T know what it is, because if we did, we'd be using it.

It's one of those places where the MST3K theme really got it right - "repeat to yourself 'it's just a show - I should really just relax'".

But hey, go ahead. Maybe you'll be the one to figure out what they would be using, and will revolutionize economics. Or at least make some sweet loot for yourself.
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #5
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Whether the Federation Credit qualifies as money, in the strictest sense...we can't say. I tend to think that it does. It's not money in the sense of being bills, coins, etc., but it IS money in the sense that it is a medium of exchange.

And before anyone mentions the replicator for the 1,000,000th time as the cure of all society's economic ills: Some people refuse to USE the replicator. Picard's family, for instance - his brother Robert would not allow replicators in their home. So what do they do? They make "money" selling the family wine, of course. You can't seriously tell me they go to all that work just to give it away for free...
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #6
JD5000
Commander

You only ever hear Starfleet people make the claim that they've transcended traditional economics and the accumulation of wealth. They also seem to have every possible need anticipated and fulfilled. The people we see involving themselves in businesses are civilians, and they seem very concerned with paychecks and profit margins.

I'll use Ezri's family as an example. Trill is a Federation world. Money is enough of a concern to them to cause Ezri's brother to commit murder. To get them to fall in line with the Orion Syndicate. Clearly, the Federation has not truly done away with the concept of currency and it's value, it's just that Starfleet officers are so cushioned that they don't have to think about it.
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #7
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Frankly I don't care about the entire federation. I just want to see how transactions take place on Earth.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #8
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

JD5000 wrote: View Post
You only ever hear Starfleet people make the claim that they've transcended traditional economics and the accumulation of wealth. They also seem to have every possible need anticipated and fulfilled. The people we see involving themselves in businesses are civilians, and they seem very concerned with paychecks and profit margins.

I'll use Ezri's family as an example. Trill is a Federation world. Money is enough of a concern to them to cause Ezri's brother to commit murder. To get them to fall in line with the Orion Syndicate. Clearly, the Federation has not truly done away with the concept of currency and it's value, it's just that Starfleet officers are so cushioned that they don't have to think about it.
Picard is the only I remember pontificating about how "evolved" the 24th century is. He's so sheltered from the necessity to pay for anything, Ro has to remind him that prostitutes expect to be paid (in the episode where they were undercover).

I don't see how the Federation could possibly function without some sort of economy. Even Voyager had an economy, where the currencies were replicator rations, holodeck time, and duty shifts.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #9
RunawayStarShip
Lieutenant

I'm just going to go with Picard is telling half-truths so that he would be in less trouble with the DTI. For example, he says the Enterprise has 24 decks... after the audience hears that the Borg control decks "26 up to 11" earlier in the movie.

Acquisition of wealth is no longer a driving force... probably for a lot of people, but not everyone. Perhaps money doesn't exist... but we know that Federation credits do. Et cetera.
RunawayStarShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #10
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

robau wrote: View Post
Frankly I don't care about the entire federation. I just want to see how transactions take place on Earth.
What's the diff? Earth isn't some kind of special case - it's just a Federation member world, like any other.

As for Ezri's family: Trill is a Federation member, yes. But the planet that the Tigans were living on was New Sydney, which is not part of the Federation.
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I just go with the idea that there's no physical money used within the Federation and that not everyone in the Galaxy accepts "Federation Express."
Old Today, 06:19 PM   #12
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ Don't leave the quadrant without it!