RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,084
Members: 26,073
Currently online: 431
Newest member: KhishannK4D

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 2 2015, 04:00 AM   #1
The Historian
Cadet

When Did Fans Learn of Klingon/Federation Peace?

Hi all,

I'm doing some research, and it would be helpful to know when fans first learned that in the TNG era, the Klingons and Federation had signed a peace treaty. As I recall, the news was pretty controversial for some Trekkers.

The earliest mention of it I could find online was in a newspaper article from late July, 1987, before the show first aired. But I suspect that news was made public earlier than that? Say even in the spring of '87?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, especially if memories can be backed up with a link to an article, or anything like that.
The Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2015, 04:13 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: When Did Fans Learn of Klingon/Federation Peace?

I'm not sure we learned about it until Michael Dorn (Worf) was added to the cast. Which was relatively late in the process.

Starlog and TV Guide would probably be your best bets for the information you're looking for. There was also tidbits of information in the DC Comics Star Trek letter column leading up to the premiere of TNG.
Old August 2 2015, 04:17 AM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

It looks like issue 114 of Starlog is where they start reporting on TNG.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wik...%28magazine%29

The Star Trek: The Next Generation Compendium may also have some information. I don't have mine handy at the moment.
Old August 2 2015, 04:19 AM   #4
The Historian
Cadet

Hi BillJ,

From what I can tell (mostly from The Next Generation Companion), Worf wasn't made public until David Gerrold's Starlog column only a month before Encounter at Farpoint aired in late September.

But I know peace between Klingons and the Federation was mentioned in the Los Angeles Daily News in July 1987, and I remember it being a topic argued in fanzines that entire summer. Maybe Roddenberry disclosed the news in an interview sometime between October 1986 and July?
Old August 2 2015, 04:21 AM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

The Historian wrote: View Post
Hi BillJ,

From what I can tell (mostly from The Next Generation Companion), Worf wasn't made public until David Gerrold's Starlog column only a month before Encounter at Farpoint aired in late September.

But I know peace between Klingons and the Federation was mentioned in the Los Angeles Daily News in July 1987, and I remember it being a topic argued in fanzines that entire summer. Maybe Roddenberry disclosed the news in an interview sometime between October 1986 and July?
I know that we knew of Worf before August of 1987. There was a people magazine article about the shooting of the pilot and it probably published in June or July, if I remember correctly, I'm getting old.
Old August 2 2015, 04:25 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

http://www.people.com/people/archive...097009,00.html

It was the August 31, 1987 issue.

Where The Next Generation really goes into warp drive, however, is with its principal players. As the title implies, this is an all-new crew, and with the exception of LeVar (Roots) Burton, who plays blind Lieutenant La Forge, and Wil (Stand By Me) Wheaton, who plays young Wes Crusher, the actors are less well-known. Royal Shakespearean actor Patrick Stewart plays Starfleet Captain Jean-Luc Picard, and Jonathan Frakes is his trusty sidekick, Commander William "Number One" Riker. Denise Crosby, Bing's granddaughter, is security chief Tasha Yar. Gates McFadden takes over Sick Bay as chief medical officer Dr. Beverly Crusher. Brent Spiner plays Lieutenant Commander Data, an android whose muscular prowess is matched by his memory. Michael Dorn is Lieutenant Worf, one of the now-chummy Klingons. Marina Sirtis is Deanna Troi, a half-human, half-Betazoid Starfleet counselor.
It looks like the earliest mention of the peace in Starlog is a comic in issue 123, page 27.

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...e/n25/mode/2up

Last edited by BillJ; August 2 2015 at 04:38 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #7
Richard Baker
Captain

"Michael Dorn is Lieutenant Worf, one of the now-chummy Klingons"
I think this is also the first and last time anybody dared to call a Klingon 'Chummy'
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #8
stardream
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some of us knew Levar Burton from Reading Rainbow.
stardream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
"Michael Dorn is Lieutenant Worf, one of the now-chummy Klingons"
I think this is also the first and last time anybody dared to call a Klingon 'Chummy'
cH'uMMy is Klingon honorific.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #10
Ithekro
Commodore

The first time we saw other Klingons it was implied that the Klingons were even part of the Federation, or at the very least allied almost to the level of Vulcan and Earth back in the first season of TOS era. But by the second season it became clear the Klingons were still separate from the Federation and the alliance was more distant.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #11
The Historian
Cadet

Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

BillJ wrote: View Post
http://www.people.com/people/archive...097009,00.html

It was the August 31, 1987 issue.
---------------------------------------------
It looks like the earliest mention of the peace in Starlog is a comic in issue 123, page 27.

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...e/n25/mode/2up
Appreciate the links, BillJ. All of that backs up my vague memory the Klingon peace was something fans had picked up on by the summer. Guess it can be confirmed it had happened by that August.