Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 8 2012, 05:21 AM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

I suck at my job

This is a hard thing for me to admit because I am normally awesome at my job (whatever it may be). I work in the admissions office at a vocational school, enrolling students for our programs. I am awesome at it. I am so awesome at it that, about 6 months ago, they asked me to become their high school recruiter in addition to working in the office. I would go out to high schools and speak to guidance counselors and give presentations for students. I accepted the new/additional position because it seemed like a bad idea to turn down a potential promotion.

Well, 6 months later, I have realized that I suck at it. I suck at it because I don't have any interest in it, and I am completely unmotivated to get better. In addition, because I am now doing two jobs instead of one, my original admissions job, at which I was awesome, is suffering because I can't focus my efforts on it. I am doing the company a disservice by remaining in my current position, but I also feel awkward telling them that. I'm unsure of what the outcome might be. I know that eventually the plan is to have me ditch my admissions job and start the high school thing full-time, and if that happens, I will very likely quit because I really don't enjoy it.

One of my supervisors is going to be in town tomorrow, I think I'm going to break the news to him. I'm just really not sure how he and the other higher-ups will take it.
Old February 8 2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: I suck at my job

I just had a similar problem, and was afraid of the same thing. I took a promotion last January and thought the same thing you did: it'd be dumb to pass up an opportunity. Well, a year later I realized that I hated it and I'm not that good (which is mostly why I hated it). I was afraid that if I told my boss I wasn't enjoying it that I'd lose my job all together or would at least be demoted back to where I was, meaning a pay cut.

Well, I did some asking around, asked some hypothetical questions and what I found out empowered me. I found out that I wouldn't take a pay cut if I went back to my old job, and that it could even open up better opportunities in the future. My boss had actually sensed my displeasure in the job and opened the door to having a conversation about it. I actually just came out and said something to her today, and the process has started to get me back to my old department and where I know I'll be happier.

Basically, don't worry about how they may take it. Who knows, maybe they've seen the signs that you're not happy, too. And if they're good supervisors, they'll want you to be happy and help you get to where you can be. They know that if you're unhappy that you are, as you say, doing a disservice to the company...and yourself.

Life is too short to be unhappy at work. Do what it takes to be happy, and so what you're awesome at doing.
Old February 8 2012, 05:43 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

That's kind of how I'm feeling about it. I have a feeling my displeasure with my current job is not going unnoticed. The truth is that they really like me, which I think is the reason they offered me this job in the first place, and they want me to stick around, which is always a good thing. It's just such a hard thing for me to admit.

I feel like I'm failing, and I make it a point to do that as infrequently as possible.
Old February 8 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Again, exactly how I felt. It was like admitting I was unhappy and wanted to go back was admitting defeat. I realized that going back to my old department really would make me happier and relieve me of the dread I felt about going in to work, and wouldn't really be me giving up, but just me moving on from something that didn't work.

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; February 8 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Flux Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Namikaze
Lieutenant

Rojo, have you considered tailoring the presentations, so that they are more to your taste? You are trying to recruit students, so if you have fun with it and keep it interesting, it might satisfy your professional needs and motivate your students to join the school.

I hate speaking in front of a crowd, but I found that if I talk normally, instead of using a script, it becomes more enjoyable for me.
Namikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 06:16 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Again, exactly how I felt. It was like admitting I was unhappy and wanted to go back was admitting defeat. It was once I realized that going back to my old department really would make me happier and relieve me of the dread I felt about going in to work, and wouldn't really be me giving up, but just me moving on from something that didn't work.
I appreciate your input here. It makes me feel better about the situation.

Namikaze wrote: View Post
Rojo, have you considered tailoring the presentations, so that they are more to your taste? You are trying to recruit students, so if you have fun with it and keep it interesting, it might satisfy your professional needs and motivate your students to join the school.

I hate speaking in front of a crowd, but I found that if I talk normally, instead of using a script, it becomes more enjoyable for me.
I've tried various things, and it doesn't help. I'm not doing a bad job because of my skills. I'm doing a bad job because I just don't care about the position. I have no motivation to do it, let alone do it well.

And actually, one of my coworkers got really mad when I was offered the position because it was something she had been wanting to do for a while. I think she would be way better at it than I am.
Old February 8 2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

^ Mention that to your supervisor. One of the things I was worried about was leaving my supervisor in the lurch without anyone to take my place. If you already have someone you know would be great that you can recommend, that'll make their job to re-fill your position the that much easier.
Old February 8 2012, 06:36 AM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

The professional world is so tricky. I miss the easy days of being a bartender.
Old February 8 2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Or the days of being a kid when the biggest dilemma you had was which Saturday morning cartoons to watch.
Old February 8 2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That's kind of how I'm feeling about it. I have a feeling my displeasure with my current job is not going unnoticed. The truth is that they really like me, which I think is the reason they offered me this job in the first place, and they want me to stick around, which is always a good thing. It's just such a hard thing for me to admit.

I feel like I'm failing, and I make it a point to do that as infrequently as possible.
I would say that if there is all of this good will all around, they like you, you like them, etc. it would be most unwise to mess that up by not talking to them. Be upfront, very polite and they'll probably appreciate it.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
voyagergrl3193
Lieutenant

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Or the days of being a kid when the biggest dilemma you had was which Saturday morning cartoons to watch.
Huh, tell me about it, Flux! I have an interview myself today and am extremely nervous about it. It's not that I doubt myself at all..it's the drive that I worry about. I worry about freaks on the interstate ramming into me!
voyagergrl3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Most companies tend to like employees who are reflective about their skill set and about where they can best serve the company.

Obviously you know your company & supervisors better than I, but in your shoes, I think it's want to have a full, open & professional discussion about your role within the company. If you can do this easily within the context of another routine meeting, great. But if not, don't try to shoehorn it in tomorrow. Instead schedule a specific appointment to discuss it. Go through with the supervisor the roles you enjoy, your skills, and what is making one aspect of your work challenging. Don't explain it in negatives; explain it in terms of positives (i.e. not "I'm not motivated by job X", but "I think I'm more productive when I do job Y"). Be clear that you enjoy working for them, but are finding a specific aspect isn't working out as well as you and they hoped and you want to find a way of making things work better for everyone.

In the end, the outcome will be unpredictable (there's no way to make it a 100% safe conversation so if this bothers you, don't have it), but if you're really unhappy, then I think it's generally better to be open (with a problem-solving attitude) rather than letting things fester and then getting fired for being crap at something you don't like doing.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Paradon
Rear Admiral

I'm sure they will forgive you and you can return to your old job. Most administrators and managers love good workers and will go out of their way to help you out, because they can't afford to loose good people. If the work doesn't get done right and on time it, it makes them look bad.
Old February 8 2012, 07:04 PM   #14
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I am having a similar problem with my job, though I am more determined to get better at my job. It is a very challenging environment and I feel that if I can learn how to succeed here, then I will have developed some very good skills at working with the senior leaders.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 07:08 PM   #15
ThankQ
Admiral

I had changed jobs about every five years. Some people are like that. You could have a job in a condom factory as a quality control tester and still get sick of it after a while.

Maybe you're one of these people.

Oh, and then I started working for myself from home. I'm at work now. Don't look under the desk Well, unless you plan to back it up.