Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 20 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Star Trek: (news network)

We know that there is some sort of 'news media' in Trek. Jake Sisko was sending his reports to some news service, and there were several reporters in TREK 6 recording the Ent-B's launch.

So why not a TREK show that centers around a news network. It could be about the 'news' while focusing on seven major characters.

1. News exec. Deciding which shows to cover or not.
2. Several reporters (of varrying star trek races). There are some kind of 'soap opera' dynamics between them to explore.

3. News events that could be covered in single episode throwoffs, or two parter-three parter episodes.

Stories they could cover?

Federation Presidency election
Murder mysteries.
Launching of Starships
Disasters on worlds
Sporting events
Miss Universe (ratings episode and lots of scanitly clad women)
Assasinations
Undercover stories (with lots of sexual inuendo)

STAR TREK;
FRONTLINE
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: (news network)

This idea would not work as a TV series, maybe a limited web-series.
Old February 20 2010, 05:16 PM   #3
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

FleetLord wrote: View Post
This idea would not work as a TV series, maybe a limited web-series.
I agree somewhat. I think it could work as part of a promotional campaign for a Trek canon project. A web-only video clips of Federation of Planets news coverage of some event in an upcoming film or TV series.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Rhionnach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I prefer things set on ships, like the Enterprise.
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Rhionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Fed politics has never been depicted as interesting enough (or depicted at all) for the journalism angle to be interesting. Sounds more like a B5 premise than anything that will work for Trek.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 11:45 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Fed politics has never been depicted as interesting enough (or depicted at all) for the journalism angle to be interesting. Sounds more like a B5 premise than anything that will work for Trek.
My wife likes the idea already. And yes, this show would not be based on a ship (yawn) but would be about events happening all over the federation; and center around characters, including a 'driven' female reporter out to get the scoop, as well as her 'soap opera' love life.

Would it be for the hardcore TREK fans? Ummm...no. It would try to attract young women; the kinds of fans that do not exist at your typical star trek convention...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

I'd LOVE the idea of using jefferiestubes8's idea of a "web series" promo--for upcoming events in canon and TrekLit.

Perhaps we could have coverage of the complete Bacco/Pagro presidential debate. KRAD showed us their clash over foreign policy, but that was it.

(BTW, that clash reminds me, more than anything else, of the clash between Ron Paul and Rudy Guliani in the '07-'08 primaries. Arafel Pagro's a 24th-century Ron Paul, with the semi-isolationist "no alliances with any foreign powers like the Klingons, or any involvement with their affairs" philosophy. And Nan Bacco, like Rudy and the others, puts Pagro in his place with a little common sense.

Apologies if there are any Ron Paul voters here. )

We could also, of course, see webcasts of FNS News as "sneak peaks" of the events of future novels and films. Recall the "Harvey Dent Campaign" leading up to "The Dark Knight". Something like that.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 03:12 AM   #8
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
My wife likes the idea already. And yes, this show would not be based on a ship (yawn) but would be about events happening all over the federation; and center around characters, including a 'driven' female reporter out to get the scoop, as well as her 'soap opera' love life.

Would it be for the hardcore TREK fans? Ummm...no. It would try to attract young women; the kinds of fans that do not exist at your typical star trek convention...

Rob
Except it would turn off the women with the Sci Fi content and turn off the men with the soap content. And you'd be left with the ratings of Defying Gravity.

It sounds like you're trying to create an anthology series without admitting to it being an anthology. The viewers are smarter than that. If you want a series about the news agency you need to make it about the news agency. Sure, Aaron Sorkin could probably pull it off, but why does the show need to be set in the Star Trek universe? If you can take a concept, remove Star Trek from it and not change the concept, then it probably doesn't belong as Star Trek to begin with.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 06:59 AM   #9
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

I like this idea alot sounds like it could be interesting.
TerraNovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Axanar used this kind of concept very successfully as a promo video.
Old August 11 2014, 09:39 AM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Yep, that's exactly what I thought of. PtA was done very well, I could imagine it playing on one of these screens in Trek's world.

I wouldn't want a TV series based on Star Trek news, but I hope we get more fanfic along the lines of PtA and this. And this.
Old August 11 2014, 10:10 AM   #12
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

Rhionnach wrote: View Post
I prefer things set on ships, like the Enterprise.
I dont think you quite understand the premise. It would still be based on touring the galaxy.

Except it would be with the intention of finding interesting news stories instead of exploration(whatever thats suppose to mean)
Old August 12 2014, 08:14 AM   #13
wulfio
Lieutenant Commander

NCIS - Federation, or CSI - Federation!
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Mage
Commodore

I don't think it could work a Star Trek series, since Star Trek is about, well trekking. Through the stars.....

I like the concept, I really really do. But as others have noted, maybe a webseries.
Old August 13 2014, 10:04 PM   #15
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
I don't think it could work a Star Trek series, since Star Trek is about, well trekking. Through the stars.....

I like the concept, I really really do. But as others have noted, maybe a webseries.
How wouldnt they be trekking through the stars. Theyre reporters, they go wherever the story is.