Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 11 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
propita
Rear Admiral

Ever find something you thought you lost?

This has been a bonus week foe me!

A couple of years ago, when Hubby and I were in Vegas, he bought me a heart necklace from one of those kiosks in malls. Not expensive and not fancy, but just because he thought I'd like it and it was right there. I hadn't seen it in years and all of a sudden it turns up. It had been misplaced with some of my nephew's things somehow, but now it's back. It meant a lot, just because, you know?

The second thing was, a file of photos hidden on a computer of ours. My Dad had worked for JPL, and had given me photos given to employees from the different programs. I spent three days scanning them into a computer, went through ID-ing them, and burned them to a disc. Dad died before I could get him the disc, so it was buried with him. But I couldn't find the computer file! I was resigning myself to redoing the scanning, when I came across the folder hiding on the computer. About 300 images. Viking, Voyager, shuttles, etc. Now it's all burned to a disc, saved on the iMac and the backup.

Anybody else have a "There you are!" moment recently?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
ares93
Commodore

Re: Ever find something you thought you lost?

You are going to laugh at me now, but I once misplaced a NOS 1993 Audi S2. Me and a mate bought it but it needed serious work, so we just parked it in the garage. One thing led to another and we sorta forgot about it. But when we decided to repair it, we couldn't find it. I ended up finding it a year later inside a lorry. My mates old man has this veteran Scania from the 60's or something. And somehow the Audi ended up in the back. He probably needed the space and killed two birds with one stone.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 11:02 PM   #3
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

The wardrobes in my daughter's bedroom are being rebuilt next week and we're in the process of emptying them. One wardrobe holds her clothes but the other is my craft cupboard, and I've been cramming stuff in there for years. Earlier today I came across embroidery scissors that used to belong to my aunt. She died 19 years ago, and as I was the only niece who did needlework I inherited all her craft supplies. A friend of my aunt's had purchased it for her many years ago as a souvenir from Spanish Toledo (I know this because one of the blades has "Toledo" written on it ), and for some reason my aunt kept these scissors in her fruit bowl. My aunt could be difficult, but she created beautiful needlework despite suffering from crippling arthritis for most of her adult life, and I always respected her for that.
Old February 11 2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

One time I thought I'd lost my MP3 player and I was looking all over the place for it, and I thought I was never going to find it again (it was a Memorex device about 3/4" on all sides) and it turned out that I had been listening to it while I was looking. Yeah, maybe I shouldn't be allowed to have candles, incense and power tools in my house
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 11:20 PM   #5
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Ah, Like being late for something and then the people you are supposed to meet call you and while you talk to them you still run around frantically searching for your phone...

Yeah, been there!
Old February 12 2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Yup, my mind.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Ah, Like being late for something and then the people you are supposed to meet call you and while you talk to them you still run around frantically searching for your phone...

Yeah, been there!
That's a good one.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Avalon
Captain

Yeah, been there!
Trekkiedane! I thought we'd lost you!

Old February 12 2012, 04:44 AM   #8
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Going through my mother's things at her house my wife found a Star Trek poster that I don't remember having or it was something my mother bought for me but never got the chance to give it to me.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I lost a remote in the couch for two whole years.
Old February 12 2012, 07:32 AM   #10
propita
Rear Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Horror! Channel-surfing is my only real exercise!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
That reminds me of the remote for our stereo that went missing when my older kids were toddlers. We found it about 10 years later...inside one of the speakers. They were large speakers and, unknown to us, our toddlers had posted quite a few items into the round opening for the bass sound. I remember tearing the house apart looking for that remote, including rummaging through the rubbish bins.
Old February 12 2012, 12:21 PM   #12
ares93
Commodore

macloudt wrote: View Post
That reminds me of the remote for our stereo that went missing when my older kids were toddlers. We found it about 10 years later...inside one of the speakers. They were large speakers and, unknown to us, our toddlers had posted quite a few items into the round opening for the bass sound. I remember tearing the house apart looking for that remote, including rummaging through the rubbish bins.
I so did that when I was a kid. I used to hide my mam's glasses in the same place.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
trekkiedane
Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

Yeah, been there!
That's a good one.
What can I say, you don't have to be a senior to have senior-moments?
Avalon wrote: View Post
Trekkiedane! I thought we'd lost you!
And all the while I was right here

I've heard the expression "too big to fail" and am wondering whether there also is an expression like 'too big to be lost'.

Some months ago I bought a bunch of non-allergic (which basically means non-perfumated) roll-on anti-Perspirants -ridiculously low priced, but I had to buy a dozen of them.

Well, my bathroom didn't have enough cupboard-space for this amount of, well, anything really, so I put them somewhere else.

I'll bump this thread if I ever find them again.
Old February 12 2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

My virginity.

It came back.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 11:29 PM   #15
trekkiedane
Admiral

Sandoval wrote: View Post
My virginity.

It came back.
It'll do that if you watch enough Star Trek...