Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 15 2013, 10:06 AM   #106
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Patching/downloading it now through Steam...
Old November 15 2013, 12:10 PM   #107
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Waiting for the postman to deliver mine

Edit:

It's here, it's installed... off i go!

2nd Edit:

First impression - brilliantly awesome. As i already knew you can build the new soldier types (Biological and Mechanised Supersoldiers) early on and i already have my first MEC Trooper inside a Mech Suit with an additional Flamethrower (that thing is awesome though naturally limited in range).

Have also upgraded my first soldier with biological augmentations giving him better eyes for better aim (i have used a Sniper as that seemed the best fit for this upgrade).

First new technologies have also appeared.. Flashbang Grenades that disorient every enemy who can see them and a new type of ammo that promises more damage at the cost of reduced range (perfect for Assault classes i believe).

Last thing which i didn't know is that you can now unlock Medals which you can give out once to any soldier for a one time bonus (you can also rename the Medal prior to the ceremony).

I've also not yet encountered an old map from the Enemy Unknown game and that's very refreshing because when you have played the same map for the xth time you more or less knew where enemies would appear so you could plan along. This may happen here too but from what i heard there's quite a bit more maps than in the old game so it will take longer.

Overall the game has increased the options tenfold and i've yet to see a drawback but one can't tell from two hour play as i'm very early in the game. Looking forward to the new Anti-XCOM fraction and all the new toys and upgrades i'll unlock on the way.

Definitely a very good Add On.. if it's one of the best remains to be seen but i'm positive.

Last edited by FPAlpha; November 15 2013 at 02:10 PM.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:20 PM   #108
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I've enjoyed Enemy Within lots. They've made plenty of cool changes and the new features are great. I like the fact that they rebalanced the ability trees so that there are fewer clear-cut answers. With the exception of a couple spots in the first game, I knew exactly which abilities I wanted my soldiers to have. Now, there's a lot more tough choices.

I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it or heard about it, but the new Council Mission where you go to the fishing village is a bitch... with my Mec and her flamethrower still in sickbay, Run & Gun canceling out the new Close & Personal effect, and my heavy completely whiffing on a rocket fire, my entire squad was dead in two alien turns. This current gameplay (on Classic Impossible) may never recover from this round of devastation.

Initially, I thought Meld and the self-destruct timers was a little gimmicky, but it has grown on me. Definitely adds a new dimension of challenge to the game. A guy I follow on Youtube released this video of him falling into the ultimate Meld trap from hell...

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:49 PM   #109
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Maybe it's the normal setting but i'm blowing through this game so easy it's really no challenge.

I haven't even done the first alien base mission and my guys nearly have levelled out (and i just researched laser weapons and have aquired Plasma Rifles from a stunned Muton).

My squad contains a (now) once upgraded MEC Trooper and 2 Gene Soldiers (one Sniper with enhanced Leg Muscles so he can jump high on obstacles to get a better view.. looks awesome when he leaps around) alongside normal Troopers.

What i have noticed is that the MEC seems inferior to troopers and Gene soldiers because the latter keeps the skills and gets the bonus from the enhancements. However the MEC can really take some punishment and is near indestructible in the early game so i used him often enough as the advance scout to spot the Aliens.

Maybe later in the game when Elite Mutons and the Alien Walker appear he will be sorely needed, let's see.

I've now encountered the Exalt group and have sent out my first agent to infiltrate them, really like this add on.

So far i'm having a blast discovering all this new stuff and i've still to encounter any of the old maps.

Well done Firaxis!
Old November 16 2013, 07:21 PM   #110
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

^I would guess it is the normal difficulty. I played a few hours on normal just to get a feel for the new stuff and blew right through it as well with nor casualties. Bumping that sucker up to Classic is where the real "fun" begins.

Old November 16 2013, 11:04 PM   #111
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I'm not touching Classic with a ten foot pole right now.. it took me a good while and dozens of tries to get a good game going on where my soldiers actually had a chance.

Now with alien walkers, Exalt missions and that fishing village mission the controller might end up in the TV
Old November 17 2013, 02:39 AM   #112
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

I was surprised at how big of a leap it was between normal and classic. It took me 5 or 6 tries on Classic and lots of adjustments to my strategy to have a game where I didn't lose right away. Meld pretty much screws up the biggest improvement I made, which was moving my squad in a slow, compact group to avoid waking up every damn alien on the map.

Old November 17 2013, 09:31 AM   #113
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

As long as you spot the Meld and finish the mission before the timer runs out you will get all the Meld.
Old November 17 2013, 09:43 AM   #114
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

You don't even need to spot it.. finish the mission before the timer runs out and you get all the Meld in the map.
Old November 18 2013, 02:50 PM   #115
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Having lots of fun the the new expansion, love both the mechs and the gene mods. Shivs are still pretty useless though. I'd hoped with the new focus on cybernetics they'd find a better way to implement them.

Like say a much trooper without the full battle suit can be paired up with a Shiv netting two soldiers for the price of one. The downside being that if the lightly armoured mechtrooper goes down, so does the Shiv.

I also like the addition of the new council missions that follow a narrative. It adds a nice bit of variety and combined with all the new maps makes the game far more re-playable.

The difficulty curve for the exalt missions felt a bit steep, but that's probably because on the first mission I didn't get that disrupting the beacons means they get fewer reinforcements. Lost three guys on that mission and the other two were nearly dead by the end!

Speaking of the covert missions, did anyone else train up a soldier exclusively to be the covert operative, or just pick whoever? I picked a sniper and gave her the cloaking gene mod and the super-jump. The combination of those plus the gunslinger talentand treating low cover as full means she can dash around the map totally unseen, or even just sit in the capture zone blocking the hack.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:58 AM   #116
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Is it just my imagination, or is the alien activity significantly more frequent in EW (at least at Classic and higher)? This is my second attempt at a Classic play through on EW and I just can't seem to get ahead. I'm getting abductions, UFO's, terror missions, and council missions every couple of days. Any time someone is sent to the infirmary (and I do mean literally any time), it is extremely rare that I don't go through at least 2 missions without them. I'm finding it impossible to get anything done because every squad I'm sending out gets slagged, so I can't get anybody ranked up. I can't even get someone ranked up high enough to unlock the Officer School. At least in Enemy Unknown, I was in pretty good shape once I figured out how to play smart. In this one, I'm not even being given a chance.