Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 3 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
T'Baio
Admiral

Can we talk about the Babe of the Week threads?

Without judgment, I was wondering if we could talk about the Babe of the Week threads? Maturely and without malice. Without talking about banning them or censoring them, or treating them as if they're the bastion of free speech or the most important things in our lives, either.

I was wondering if there was anyone else out here who is uncomfortable with them? Is it just me...having some of the most popular threads on the board be about rating women's physical features? Are they an indication of harmless male attraction, or an indicator of continuing patriarchal misogyny? Or something in between?

Sometimes the comments in the threads can be harmless, perhaps. But also some of them can sometimes be downright mean spirited. Is there a line that should be drawn? Or is it a good idea to perhaps have the mean spirited people self identify?

I'd love to just have a discussion about what people think, if anyone is uncomfortable with them, why people are totally cool with them or what they represent to everyone.

Hopefully this can be a really thoughtful discussion....
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: Can we talk about the Babe of the Week threads?

i don't perticularly mind them to be honest... aside from my annoyance at the constant skinny blonde steriotypical girls coming up week after week...

as for having threads specifically about rating womens features... womens sexuality is a major point of the world... there's no denying it... TV shows, advertisements, commercials, movies... everything runs on sex and featuring sexual content...

I work in the adult industry, and none of the women i work with see anything like this as bad... sexuality is part of the world and people are going to discuss it, it's not demeaning or bad towards the women involved or anything like that.

as for the comments... there is a line to be drawn, not for the comments per se, but for bad taste and the fact there are some younger members on the site... teenage members here are going to notice sexuality sooner or later, but i do agree that there are some comments that go a bit too far towards the 'bad taste line'.

M
Old February 3 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The thread is all about sizing women up like pieces of meat, which is why I don't participate. I find it disgusting.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I don't care one way or the other about the babe/hunk threads. As with others that don't hold my interest, I typically skip by them and move on to the next thread.
Old February 3 2012, 05:37 PM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Methos wrote: View Post
i don't perticularly mind them to be honest... aside from my annoyance at the constant skinny blonde steriotypical girls coming up week after week...

M
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I don't participate anymore. And another thing, why is every damn girls 25 years old and under? There are attractive women out there 35 and up, you know.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Nice pictures sometimes. I don't bother voting though.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
infinix
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
Methos wrote: View Post

M
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I don't participate anymore. And another thing, why is every damn girls 25 years old and under? There are attractive women out there 35 and up, you know.
Natasha Henstridge is way above 25 and a bit passed 35. I'm sure a couple of other "babes" on there are older, too.

But the reality is that this is supposed to be Hollywood's babes, and we all know babes in Hollywood have a strict expiration date.
Old February 3 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

RandyS wrote: View Post
completely agreed... should be an 'alternative' thread as well, for those of us that like their girls outside of the 'normal' guidelines of attractive

M
Old February 3 2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I don't care one way or the other about the babe/hunk threads. As with others that don't hold my interest, I typically skip by them and move on to the next thread.
This is pretty much how I feel too. I'm just glad that it's down to these threads instead of the "boobs of the week" or "butt of the week" threads that used to infest TVM.
Old February 3 2012, 05:51 PM   #10
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The thread is all about sizing women up like pieces of meat, which is why I don't participate. I find it disgusting.
Guys enjoy looking at attractive women, grading their physical attributes and personalities, judging them on a 1–10 scale, fantasizing about them. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s nature. It’s reality. Always has been, always will be. Deal with it.
Old February 3 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I don't like them either. Quoth the posters of those threads:

Yoda wrote: View Post
BigFoot wrote: View Post
She used to be hot... now, not so much. Thumbs sideways.
Pretty much this, except that equates to for me. I go with the Breaking Bad philosophy. No half measures.
CaptMurdock wrote: View Post
I had to flip a coin between UP and Sideways. She has a very cute face, but you call that a figure??

In the end, I went with a (reluctant) Sideways.

(NB: I know the term "butterface" but is there such a term as "butterfigure"? If not, Dibs!)
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Santa Claus wrote: View Post
That must come later in life. I'm 31 and I ogle 18 year olds without any reticence.
Apparently much, much later. I'll warn you when I get there so you can prepare.
I am 51 and tend to look at women the age of my daughters or younger as children.

My daughters being cheerleaders killed the cheerleader fantasy for me too.
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
low fat-content, so likely to lack much fatty tissue around her labia and thus be deficit in terms of her suitability for sexual congress according to my judging criteria.
Am I the only one who sees more than a little bit of sexism in these comments?
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:03 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

no one's forcing you to read it, if you don't like it, don't read it.

although, i do agree some of the comments are a bit much.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

scotpens wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Guys enjoy looking at attractive women, grading their physical attributes and personalities, judging them on a 1–10 scale, fantasizing about them. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s nature. It’s reality. Always has been, always will be. Deal with it.
Of course guys enjoy that. Does that mean they should be encouraged to make a public show of it? Have they no sense of decency or shame?

I'm not even against discussing attractive women or anything like that. What I have a problem with is the way they're reduced to nothing but a "thumbs up" or a "thumbs down," based almost entirely on their looks (after all, it's a "babe" thread, not a thread about their intelligence, sense of humor, generosity, etc.)

The days of treating women as nothing but objects are over. People who do it deserve any derision they get.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I am not ashamed to say that I enjoy looking at beautiful women so that's why I participate. Hell, even my wife enjoys seeing who the babe of the week is.

Yes, there are plenty of posters who are way out of line with their remarks but there is nothing inherently disgusting about saying whether you find someone attractive or not. It's something we all do in our heads just about everyday. Some of us are just able to express it more maturely than others.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I've participated in the threads and voted and occasionally commented, but mostly don't bother with them. The comments I think are what people seem to have the most problem with...but yeah otherwise I don't really care about the threads. I think they've been around as long as I've been here.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote