Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 6 2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Last week I received a copy of the series which starred Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes (41 episodes) and I have been viewing episodes every evening and I am up to The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Today I received the second series of Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes). I have just looked at the first episode, A Scandal in Belgravia, and next episodes is The Hounds of Baskerville.

Without giving away spoilers will people suggest which of these two I should look at first. I did see the Peter Cushing version of The Hound of the Baskervilles but I don't think I remember how it ends.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 06:47 AM   #2
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Hound of the Baskervilles

Watch the Jeremy Brett one first; it will make you appreciate the Cumberbatch "version" a bit more. They are not much alike, but the similarities will be amusing. You might even recognize some of the locations.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The old Basil Rathbone version is good, too.
Old February 6 2012, 10:30 PM   #4
nvek86
Commander

Definitely watch the Brett version first. Cumberbatch's version is only inspired by the story and it will be more fun if you see which parts they kept or modified for modern times.
Old February 6 2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Wereghost
Commodore

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Without giving away spoilers will people suggest which of these two I should look at first. I did see the Peter Cushing version of The Hound of the Baskervilles but I don't think I remember how it ends.
For my money, you should watch Sherlock in order as there's something of a developing storyline. Also, A Scandal In Belgravia is way too good to put off.

(Edit: If you mean which of Brett and Cumberbatch, I don't think it matters. I only recently acquired the Brett version too and have watched just the first episode (which was great). Also, Sherlock has great rewatchability; so I can imagine that a person might come back to it again after seeing Brett and then discover new nods to the mythology.)
Old February 6 2012, 11:06 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

I'd go with the definitive Holmes, Brett's version.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Read the original books/stories first. They're definitive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

True, But the ITV adaptations starring Brett are reasonable close.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old February 6 2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

They're great adaptations, but you can appreciate any adaptation more if you're familiar with the original work that it's adapting. And just in general, people should read more instead of assuming that watching TV and movies is sufficient for cultural literacy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Miss Chicken

I looked at the Brett version last night. I thought it was very good, but rather familiar, possibly I saw it long ago or else I recognised similarities between it and the Cushing version.

As far as other Sherlock Holmes DVDs. I have

Three movies with Basil Rathbone as Sherlock. They are

Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green
Dress to Kill
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon

I have 10 episodes with Ronald Howard as Sherlock

They are

The Case of the Eiffel Tower
The Case of the Jolly Hangman
The Case of the Cunningham Inheritance
The Case of the Diamond Tooth
The Case of the Neurotic Detective
The Case of the Red-Headed League
The Case of the Vanished Detective
The Night Train Riddle
The Case of the Pennsylvania Gun
The Case of the Bachelor Street Bachelors

I remember reading a couple of Sherlock Holmes books when I was a teenager but that was a loooooooong time ago. I have just downloaded The Complete Sherlock Holmes to my Kindle.
Old February 7 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^I have the complete series with all 39 episodes of the Ronald Howard series. So far, I'm up to "The Careless Suffragette." (Not a very PC episode. It makes all of the suffragettes look stupid. Like, Nigel Bruce's Dr. Watson stupid.)

Overall, of the older, pre-Downey/Cumberbatch Sherlock Holmes adaptations, I'd say the Ronald Howard series is my favorite. I think it does the best job of capturing the odd couple nature of the Holmes/Watson relationship. (But they never did a "Hound of the Baskervilles" adaptation.)

Basil Rathbone does a good job of capturing the more sedate Holmes of the later Arthur Conan Doyle stories. However, I have a difficult time tolerating his movies because Nigel Bruce plays Dr. Watson as a complete buffoon. Only recently has Jude Law's portrayal in the Robert Downey Jr. movies begun to rehabilitate Dr. Watson's image with the general public.

I don't really care for Jeremy Brett. His Holmes always struck me as a bit too forced. And his adaptations are usually way too long, stretching out short stories into hour-long episodes.

I would agree that the best way to experience Sherlock Holmes is through the original ACD stories. But if you have to go with adaptations, I think Benedict Cumberbatch & Robert Downey Jr. are the best.

And for gods' sake, avoid Matt Frewer at all costs!
Old February 7 2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Miss Chicken

I have just order the box set with Peter Cushing as Sherlock. I was a bit disappointed to see that only 5 of Cushing's 16 episodes have survived. I believe that Cushing was properly my first introduction to Sherlock while I was a child in the 1960s. My mother loved detective stories and I would have watched them with her.

After that I might buy the complete Ronald Howard series.

Along with the Sherlock set I also ordered series four of The Murdoch Mysteries.
Old February 7 2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

MacLeod wrote: View Post
True, But the ITV adaptations starring Brett are reasonable close.
More so at the beginning than at the end. The Last Vampyre goes far afield from "The Sussex Vampire," and then we have those episodes with Mycroft(!) actually doing things.

As for Brett's Hound, Brett himself was not a fan of it and hoped that it could be redone.

It's a bit lurid, but I absolutely love the Hammer Hound with Peter Cushing as Holmes and Christopher Lee as Sir Henry Baskerville. The scene where Sir Henry is being menaced by a tarantula is awesome!

I like the Canadian Hound of a decade ago with Matt Frewer and Kenneth Walsh as Holmes and Watson.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 11:31 PM   #14
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The old Basil Rathbone version is good, too.
They're okay, but I never really liked the way Nigel Bruce portrayed Watson as kind of dim-bulb who was more or less there to only point out just how brilliant Holmes was.

For my money, Jeremy Brett is the definitive screen version of Holmes.
Old February 8 2012, 01:34 AM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

I feel we need a poll to decide on the best potryal of Holmes. Though have to limit to a few choices with Other as an option. After all I believe Holmes is the character to have most different actors to potray him.