Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 23 2012, 01:38 AM   #1
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Regeneration

What would the ENT boards be without at least one single thread about the Borg's one-time appearance in Jonathan Archer's time as Captain of Enterprise?

How do the fans of this series rate the the episode and the Borg in it? It was quite unusual for them to bring the Borg in to a story like this one, that had nothing directly to do with their ongoing stiry arcs on TNG/VOY. So how you are it?
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
tighr
Commodore

Re: Regeneration

I think Regeneration was well done, even if it fell into the same trap that most Enterprise episodes did of introducing characters/races we are already familiar with from the 24th century without having had first contact with them yet (Acquisition comes to mind).

It was certainly a better Borg episode than most of the Voyager Borg episodes.
Old January 23 2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Tiberius
Commodore

I liked it, and given that Starfleet probably would have classified everything it doesn't bother me that Picard doesn't know about them later.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 04:30 AM   #4
butch101
Lieutenant Commander

I liked the episode. actually, it felt pretty good to see the Borg being badass again after all these years wasted on Voyager... And the music was pretty effective to me. Didn't sound like the common star trek episodes.

Thumbs up!

Butch
butch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I liked it. The Borg were effective again.

And as for it not being part of the ongoing Borg Arc, here's a little something from Memory Alpha's "Background Information" on the episode....

The episode introduces a potential predestination paradox into the overall Borg story arc. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that the assimilated Earth freighter dispatched a subspace message to the Delta Quadrant. T'Pol theorized it would take at least two hundred years for the message to reach the Delta Quadrant, implying that this may be how the Borg originally learned of Humanity's existence. If the message was received, it may explain why, in the 24th century, the Borg sent at least one vessel to the vicinity of Federation space, destroying several Romulan and Federation outposts in 2364 (TNG: The Neutral Zone). A series of incidents with the Federation followed over the next several years, culminating in the Battle of Sector 001, wherein a Borg sphere traveled to the 21st century in an effort to assimilate Humanity in the past (Star Trek: First Contact). The sphere was destroyed, and several drones from the vessel were frozen in an Arctic glacier in 2063, which were uncovered by the Arctic scientists 90 years later in Regeneration, starting the causality loop all over again.
Old January 23 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Alienesse
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Alienesse

I didn't have a problem with the Borg being in Enterprise. I did think that the crew of the NX-01 had a tad too little trouble overpowering them, but I guess that's just small potatoes.

As several people have already mentioned, "Regeneration" brought back that sinister quality that the Borg had when we first saw them in TNG. I thoroughly enjoyed the initial scene when the Borg bodies are found and the Arctic research team is trying to figure out what they are, completely ignorant of the danger they pose. That scene has a classic horror movie feel to it.
Old January 23 2012, 03:37 PM   #7
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

I always assumed the Borg took all their tech when they left earth explaining some continuity errors.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 02:39 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I loved it, it was straight out of "The Thing". Great music, very atmospheric. I loved how they handled them never being named and ending up an unknown mystery that was easily forgotten as there were no new encounters after that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 02:50 AM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

A very enjoyable episode. Lots and lots of fun. The continuity's broken, no matter how much you try to think your way around it (predestination paradox? Yeah, right) but that doesn't matter.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 04:12 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Probably the fourth best Borg episode behind:

Q, Who?
The Best of Both Worlds I
Unity
Old January 24 2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Tiberius
Commodore

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
A very enjoyable episode. Lots and lots of fun. The continuity's broken, no matter how much you try to think your way around it (predestination paradox? Yeah, right) but that doesn't matter.
I don't think the continuity is broken. What makes you say it is?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:18 AM   #12
dtoliaferro
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought it was awesome. When I first saw it on TV I was like: "oh sh*t!"
dtoliaferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I don't think the continuity is broken. What makes you say it is?
Remember the bit in "Q Who", where Data brought up Archer's old log of cybernetic beings identical to the ones they were confronted with now? No?

Me neither. And remember, in the TNG era people play through Archer's old missions on the holodeck ("These Are the Voyages")
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 01:12 PM   #14
The_Baron
Commander

But as has been said, Starfleet likely classified all information on the incident.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Remember the bit in "Q Who", where Data brought up Archer's old log of cybernetic beings identical to the ones they were confronted with now? No?
I do quite like that.