RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 501
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 2 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

The Metron communicator device

Anyone have any idea what this prop was made from?
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 03:54 PM   #2
mach7
Commander

Re: The Metron communicator device

If your talking about the ones Kirk and the Gorn used, I believe they were just slightly modified universal translators.

I've always thought they were metal tubes, probably a flashlight?
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Redfern
Commodore

Actually, it was the reverse. The prop first appeared here (a first season episode) as "alien" technology supplied by the Metrons and was later used in "Metamorphosis" (a second year story) as StarFleet hardware. Actually, nothing was stated as to where the "universal translator" originated. some fans, like myself, just assumed the latter was StarFleet engineered, but it could be equally valid that StarFleet managed to replicate the Metron device and issued it to various ships. Or, it could have been the same device given to Kirk in "Arena", a little "thank you" from the Metrons for showing promise as a developing species.

As for the props construction, the usual theory is that it started existence as a flashlight casing redressed. I honestly don't know.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Plum
Rear Admiral

Just as a side note, the universal translator was invented by Hoshi in 'Enterprise'. *cough* rather like most things in trek, 'Enterprise' invented it. ;p
Old January 2 2014, 11:22 PM   #5
mach7
Commander

Redfern is correct of course.
Arena was the first episode it appeared in.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 11:49 PM   #6
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Thanks.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Darkwing
Commodore

Plum wrote: View Post
Just as a side note, the universal translator was invented by Hoshi in 'Enterprise'. *cough* rather like most things in trek, 'Enterprise' invented it. ;p
Only in nuTrek. Have we seen nuKirk use a universal translator yet?
Old January 3 2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Warped9
Admiral

No.
Old January 3 2014, 03:34 PM   #9
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

The translator prop reminds me of a light saber handle in Star Wars (1977) that was really a tubular stainless steel mount for a camera's flash. The tube held the flash bulb's batteries.

http://petapixel.com/2011/07/11/star...-camera-parts/
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 01:21 AM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Since it's a prequel, why wouldn't most of the technology have antecedents in the Enterprise era?

Hoshi didn't invent it, though. But she was responsible for the linguacode matrix (after she left the Enterprise). Hoshi was more of an operator and supplement to the UT.

Apparently the Friendship One probe launched in 2067 contained "Translation matrix" "that facilitated the conversion of symbols and sounds from one language to another".

So we'd better get cracking.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; January 4 2014 at 01:37 AM.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 11:37 PM   #11
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
I'm not entirely sure, you're most likely right, but in the ENT episode 'Demons' where the federation is first formed the Earth president (Richard Wilkins), I distinctly remember him, thanks Hoshi for the universal translators (they were clipped onto their clothes). To which she acted all humble and aw shucks like a schmuck, saying she just put together a few things.

Memory Alpha has a line about this under 'universal translator'.
Old January 5 2014, 01:41 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^^^
I'm not entirely sure, you're most likely right, but in the ENT episode 'Demons' where the federation is first formed the Earth president (Richard Wilkins), I distinctly remember him, thanks Hoshi for the universal translators (they were clipped onto their clothes). To which she acted all humble and aw shucks like a schmuck, saying she just put together a few things.

Memory Alpha has a line about this under 'universal translator'.
I don't think they say she invented it.

Memory Alpha wrote:
The actual universal translator, which was used for deciphering unknown languages on the fly, was a handheld device with a keypad and display to which a communicator could attach at the top. (ENT: "Precious Cargo") The communicator was also apparently able to translate preprogrammed languages without having the full universal translator attached. (ENT: "Civilization") Additionally, small translators, able to be clipped onto clothing, were available in 2155 to function as a standalone version of what was usually built into communicators of the era. (ENT: "Demons")
I assume it's this line:

Demons wrote:
SAMUELS: Well, it certainly helps that the delegates can understand each other. These universal translators work perfectly, thanks to you.
HOSHI: I just updated them with a few things we picked up on the mission.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:33 AM   #13
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Ahhh, righto.