Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 12 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Albertese
Commodore

January 2012 Art contest -- Albertese

Here's the very beginning of my entry this month. This is the pencil stage of just the top half of my page.

More to come...

--Alex
Old January 12 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: January 2012 Art contest -- Albertese

Well... damn. There goes my motivation for doing an entry this month!
Old January 12 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Starship
Commander

Excellent drawing! You have skill!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

lol @ B.J.... yeah, I have no illusions about winning this month.

Very nice start!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
BK613
Captain

Oh now that IS nice! Great job!
Look forward to seeing the finished piece...
Old January 16 2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Albertese
Commodore

So here's some progress. I inked the top part i showed the pencils for, and also the middle part which I hadn't posted the pencils for. there is a lower part yet to come, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Couple weeks left. I'll need them!

--Alex
Old January 16 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Very nice! So is this all hand-drawn traditionally, or is it fully or partially digital? Just a bit curious about your workflow here.
Old January 17 2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Albertese
Commodore

So far all hand drawn except the frames which are augmented in PS CS5 (extra simple marquee selections with a wide stroke). I've been toying with drawing the lower part with vector selections and strokes as it's meant to be more mechanical, but it's not working out quite how I liked and I'm beginning to think it might be quicker for me to just whip out the french curves and do it the old fashioned way.

Basically I pencil it at 2:1 scale which would theoretically make the page 11"x17" but as my scanner is not that big, I draw on two regular sized sheets and stick them together on the computer. After I ink it, I erase the pencil lines and scan it. Then I clean up the scans using the Image>Adjustment>Levels tool in PS and then paste all the parts onto a digital space that is 11"x17" at 300 dpi. Any little errors in the inking can be cleaned up here. Once all the line art is there, it's time to color it, which will come soon. To do that, I set the line art layer to Multiply and color it on layers beneath that. Normally I prefer to really go painterly on the coloring and shading, (the link in my signature line will show you some stuff like I mean -- check out my portfolio*) but I think for this image I'm gonna try something more graphical like a cell-shaded approach.

To make the .psd ready for the web, I save it as a .jpg and change the image size to 100dpi. Then I load it up to Imageshack and paste the link into TrekBBS's reply box.

I hope that covers my workflow.

As I mentioned I think I'm probably just gonna hand ink the bottom part, it'll probably make the whole thing seem more consistent anyway. I'll certainly have more to show by next weekend.

--Alex

*Note, I just tried to access my website, goldtoothstudio.com and at least Google Chrome is having problems with it. My bill's paid and everything on the end where I change things is working fine, so I don't get it. Maybe it'll work for you. --AM

Last edited by Albertese; January 17 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 05:41 PM   #9
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Sounds similar to what I do a lot of times (draw/scan/cleanup/color). As for your website, I'm getting "The Url is not resolvable." through Firefox/work portal.
Old January 27 2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Albertese
Commodore

Okay, so I made a bit of progress. Most of the coloring is done but there will still be more detail added to the station. As you can see something bad has happened to Starbase 8! I won't say what exactly until the final installment complete with word bubbles! That'll be done on Sunday. If not Sunday, then not at all, as that'll be my last chance at working on this thing prior to February.

I decided to go with a sketchier take on the shading. This gives it some texture and, I dunno, maybe makes it feel like something somewhat emotionally charged is taking place. Something bugs me though about the shading technique I used, and that's that is didn't do awesome things with the color of the bridge walls. I'll think of something to punch that up a bit. The bridge "set" if you will just seems to flat to me so far.

Also if you recognize some of the overhead screens' images that might be because I nabbed them from random places I found using a Google image search. I just want to fess up that those particular bits aren't mine, though I don't really know who to credit. Some of them are from Drexler's bridge re-creation for "In a Mirror, Darkly" and others aren't. But as I'm not making any money off this, hopefully no one will flip out.

Anyhow, enjoy. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome as always!

--Alex
Old January 27 2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

very nicely done!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
smalltalk66
Lieutenant Commander

Really nice work, Albertese! I love the the expressivenesss in the woman's tears and the station at the end.

Looks like I've got less than a week to put up mine against some stiff competition here. hmmm--lol

Again, great work.
smalltalk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Great work! Especially like the panel of the two crewmen reacting to the science officer. Very subtle.
Old January 27 2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Looking forward to knowing what type of ship uses such a small Bridge it looks great.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 03:35 AM   #15
Albertese
Commodore

Thanks for the kind words! In answer to you question, Bernard Guignard, it probably doesn't matter since this page won't show the exterior of this ship, but I had imagined this aboard a sister ship to the Antares as depicted in the second version of the Star Trek Concordance. The bridge design is my own, but I suppose it would be a smaller set-up than the Enterprise would need. In case you don't know what ship I mean, here's the image from the book:

Anyway, I hope I'll have time to finish this this weekend.. I have a lot going on so it might get a little dicey...

--Alex