Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2012, 01:31 PM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 90s horror

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Prophecy with Christopher Walken, I like a good religious horror film. The others in the series are OK, but none are as well put together as this one.

Yeah it's a really good film. Is it Viggo Mortenson as Satan?

"All those years you were scared I was under your bed...and I was!"

Blair Witch scared the hell out of me. I can understand why people don't like it, but it's one of those films that's truly unsettling.

The Sixth Sense, I think a lot of the ghost stuff is very well handled, what lets it down is that I twigged the twist about 30 seconds in. Still a good film though.

The Other's is a very good film, and again it's unsettling more than anything else, wonderful atmospheric setting.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 01:43 PM   #32
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Yes, it is Viggo playing Lucifer. He does the part well. Walken is great in all three of the films he was in. But, it's Lucifer saving the day that makes this film for me. My uni had a theater nearby which used to run double features, this would have been a delight to see on their big screen with Kevin Smith's Dogma.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 02:05 AM   #33
byron lomax
Commander

Well, I watched Exorcist III. I was pretty impressed - some of the effects were dated and didn't work, but the movie built tension nicely, and the scene with the nurse was just brilliant. Dourif was just fantastic, as I expected. The exorcism at the end was a bit over the top, but I liked Scott's "I believe" speech.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 11:19 PM   #34
byron lomax
Commander

Still seeking out 90s horror, and recently watched Kyua ("Cure") a weird Japanese horror/thriller by Kioboshi Kurosawa, who later directed the eerie but uneven Pulse. This film was a good deal better, IMO, and features a detective investigating a series of murders where an "X" is carved on the victim's neck. Creepy and very bizarre.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 11:55 PM   #35
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Dark City might be a film to consider. It is not really a horror movie - more a thriller with a blend of science fiction and film noir - but it does have some horror elements.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:01 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

byron lomax wrote: View Post
Well, I watched Exorcist III. I was pretty impressed - some of the effects were dated and didn't work, but the movie built tension nicely, and the scene with the nurse was just brilliant. Dourif was just fantastic, as I expected. The exorcism at the end was a bit over the top, but I liked Scott's "I believe" speech.
As I recall, that final exorcism was added by the studio after the fact, because they thought the original finale wasn't flashy enough . . . .