TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 2 2012, 07:47 PM   #211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Yeah I don't think the deflector dish was ever meant to be quite as bright as the warp engines.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 07:50 PM   #212
Ryann866
Lieutenant Commander

Just watched Farpoint and half of Sins of the Father. And, like everyone else, I'm blown away by the colors and clarity of the restoration. It is like watching a totally new show in a way.

The effects (except for that "energy beam" shot and the opening of SotF) are remarkable and a testament to the work of the crews that built those models and the geniuses who shot them. It's another example proving where CGI just doesn't hold up when compared to actual photography.

Like the Star Wars films where I can watch the first three films and not be thrown out by the model work, and yet the FX in the special editions and the prequels all look dated and obtuse after only a few years.

Seeing TNG restored, I actually prefer the sharper, more bold look of Farpoint and the first season when compared to the muted lighting of the later seasons... I don't know, in HD something about it just looks slicker and more feature film like. That being said, Farpoint still reeks of 80's cinematography with the odd camera angles and moves.

The main thing that stood out for me though (besides noticing that Troi, Picard, Tasha, and Beverly all seem to have been directed to become teary-eyed during their impassioned dialogue at one point or another during the episode) is how fresh the actual Farpoint story seems today.

Yes, some of it is executed poorly and the characterizations are typical of any cast trying to find their legs, but what I'm talking about is the story itself.

The concept and ideas behind it - putting humans on trial for the crimes of their civilization and a people who capture a space creature and force it into slavery are so "high-sci-fi" -- a kind of simple, yet evocative storytelling that doesn't really come around too often today.

This pilot, for all it's surface flaws, is effectively a perfect example of what Star Trek is - and why Trek has always stood alone in the type of stories only it can do well. The storytelling is straightforward and so earnest... and yet you buy into it because it is all so believable - the writing isn't cynical and it doesn't try to outsmart you or wink at you with gloss or pop culture references like so much of today's "important" sci-f does.

This particular episode is so Roddenberry. Which is why, watching in through now, it reminded me of TMP. And while it's certainly not the most exciting or engaging of Trek episodes, it has that air of trying to push the limit of what we can imagine -- while at the same time making a not so subtle statement about humanity. There is a sense of wonder to it all - and the characters portray that without any cynicism.

So much entertainment today (especially modern sci-fi) pretends to be important when it's really just clever plotting wrapped up in style and a cool factor. And while some of the best stuff today takes their cues from more character based episodic drama, there is a serious lack of shows that stretch the boundaries of big ideas.

It's interesting to take a new look at this old show and be reminded again why Trek, when done right, has such staying power.

And a nice touch that they credited DeForest Kelley. I remember watching this scene when it first aired in 87 in my parents bedroom, being pulled out of the giddy awe of seeing a new shot of the Excelsior model to utter speechlessness when McCoy appeared.

Those pre-internet days where you could actually be surprised are really missed...
Ryann866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 08:06 PM   #213
RAMA
Vice Admiral

What is it with the criticism of the energy beam shot?? I always loved that angle of the Enterprise...here and in Code of Honor. It's actually improved from the original shot by light years...look at the still on the thread for Christ sake! Rant over.

RAMA
Old February 2 2012, 08:14 PM   #214
JJohnson
Captain

Now that's a beauty shot there. Very nice.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 08:41 PM   #215
Ryann866
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
What is it with the criticism of the energy beam shot?? I always loved that angle of the Enterprise...here and in Code of Honor. It's actually improved from the original shot by light years...look at the still on the thread for Christ sake! Rant over.

RAMA
I thought the still looked great but when I saw it in the actual show it just looked very cut and paste. Maybe it was the moving stars... similar reaction to the Bop shot in SotF. Kind of a photoshop vibe that didn't match the other effects.

Not a big deal though, it didn't "ruin" the show for me.
Ryann866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 08:43 PM   #216
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ryann866 wrote: View Post
Seeing TNG restored, I actually prefer the sharper, more bold look of Farpoint and the first season when compared to the muted lighting of the later seasons... I don't know, in HD something about it just looks slicker and more feature film like. That being said, Farpoint still reeks of 80's cinematography with the odd camera angles and moves.
Yeah Farpoint definitely looks more cinematic, but I was still blown away by how sharp and colorful Sins of the Father looked as well. And with the better styling and costumes from that season, it makes the show suddenly look a lot more modern as well.

Other than the 4:3 format, there's hardly any hint that this is an episode that aired 22 years ago.

The concept and ideas behind it - putting humans on trial for the crimes of their civilization and a people who capture a space creature and force it into slavery are so "high-sci-fi" -- a kind of simple, yet evocative storytelling that doesn't really come around too often today.
Yeah it's a solid story idea, I think the problem is the episode was just too preoccupied with having to introduce all the new characters to really do it justice. Q's trial and the Farpoint mystery almost feel like an afterthought at times.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:16 PM   #217
trekker670
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it's a solid story idea, I think the problem is the episode was just too preoccupied with having to introduce all the new characters to really do it justice. Q's trial and the Farpoint mystery almost feel like an afterthought at times.
It kind of was. It was "hey we need to make an hour show into 2 hours; what else can we add?"
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:18 PM   #218
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
It kind of was. It was "hey we need to make an hour show into 2 hours; what else can we add?"
?

What else is there left if you take out Q's trial and the Farpoint mystery?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:24 PM   #219
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Geordi explaining to Beverly why he refuses eye surgery.
Data explaining to Riker what it's like to be an android.
Wesley talking about his father's death.
Picard and Crusher rekindling their friendship.
Imzadi.
"I'm a Klingon warrior".
Tasha losing it.

So: all that character exposition that sometimes comes at weird places in the middle of the real action... ;-)
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:28 PM   #220
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Also Bones' cameo.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:34 PM   #221
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Right! I also forgot the stern talk between Riker and Picard in the Observation Lounge that ends with Riker grinning like crazy.
Old February 2 2012, 09:34 PM   #222
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
Right! I also forgot the stern talk between Riker and Picard in the Observation Lounge that ends with Riker grinning like crazy.
To be fair, pretty much all of Riker's scenes in the first two seasons ended with him grinning like crazy.
Old February 2 2012, 09:37 PM   #223
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

First image coming to my mind: Brenna Odell dropping her dress ;-)
Old February 2 2012, 09:40 PM   #224
trekker670
Fleet Captain

IIRC, the original story was just the Bandii station and the alien creatures.

Edit: here's the quote

MemoryAlpha wrote:
Q was created as a second storyline when Paramount Pictures wanted a two hour pilot episode instead of a one hour pilot. (TNG Season 1 DVD special feature "The Beginning")
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:53 PM   #225
Borjis
Commodore

left one thing out...how could i forget this!?!?

The Excelsior looks AMAZING in HD, the way it should.
the detail of that model alone is unfit for use in SD.

Seeing it in HD reminds me how grand she looks in the films.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote