RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 526
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 28 2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Chuck - The Series Finale

Bah, I messed up the DVR programming. What happened at the end? Is Sarah preggers? That's the big secret, right?

Uh...

Instead they invent a whole new kind of reset button and rewind the show back to the beginning.. Chuck has the Intersect again ("Boy.. i haven't done that in a while!" - yes Chuck, you didn't and i missed it so much), Sarah isn't in love with him but there is so much hope instilled in the last scene that the outcome is inevitable.. the loveable King of Nerds will do the unthinkable and conquer the heart of his love for a second time and they will rebuild their life together. That is a hopeful message to take with in the years to come when we pop in a Chuck episode from time to time to rewatch the gang save the world and catch the bad guys.
Is that how they really ended the series? Maybe my DVR was doing me a favor.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Adam Sandler should sue.

I was falling asleep in the middle.

Had to slap myself.

Jeffster had a fantastic conclusion.

Germany.

It makes so much sense.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Sheep
Vice Admiral

The way Chuck ended is basically Angel all over again--lots of people will absolutely HATE it because of how open-ended it leaves things and lots of people will love it due to how bittersweet it is.

I fall into the latter group. I would have puked up my lunch if they had flashed forward with Chuck, Sarah and baby living in a house with a red door and a white picket fence. I know the show is sappy as hell but that would have broken my sap-o-meter into a billion pieces, causing me to consider one of the previous "endings" (Paris, Morgan getting the Intersect, etc.) as my own personal ending to the show and the remaining eps being some sort of alternate universe that doesn't really count (a la Buffy).

I think the finale was only the second time I actually enjoyed Jeffster (the other time being at Ellie and Awesome's wedding). I liked all the references to earlier hijinks (the Wienerlicious and Irene Demova) and Chuck staying true to his "no guns" policy.

As not-so-brilliant as I think the last two seasons were (they were good, but not great like the first three), I'm going to miss this goofy show that had more heart than just about anything else on network TV (and most of cable TV, for that matter).
Old January 28 2012, 11:23 PM   #19
Beagleman
Captain

I thought it was a perfect ending. Much better than I anticipated.
Jeffster were awesome! One last in-your-face product placement for subway. And no reset button! The last scene was beautiful without any sap.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Chuck's last words...

"I've always wanted to slay a dragon."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 11:35 PM   #21
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

I also liked the finale quite a bit. Basically, I agree with everything Sheep wrote.

I don't think I'm gonna miss the show much, though. There are a bunch of other shows currently on the air that I enjoy much more than I've enjoyed the last two seasons of Chuck, so I'm mostly glad that it's over and that they managed to go out on something of a high note.
Old January 29 2012, 12:43 AM   #22
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Sheep wrote: View Post
The way Chuck ended is basically Angel all over again--lots of people will absolutely HATE it because of how open-ended it leaves things and lots of people will love it due to how bittersweet it is.
The Angel series finale was better than this. It had the emotional impact of the show ending, that these were the last times we were spending with the characters we knew and love, and ended on one hell of a high note. The Chuck series finale didn't have any of that. It had more of a feel of a season finale. That was the problem.

I wish the show had ended with either the Season 3 finale, the mid-Season 4 finale "Push Mix", or the Season 4 finale that featured Chuck and Sarah's wedding but without the post-wedding scenes. Back at those points, the show had more of a direction unlike this season in which it seemed to be bouncing from one direction to another without settling on one firmly.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 02:22 AM   #23
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
Sheep wrote: View Post
The Angel series finale was better than this. It had the emotional impact of the show ending, that these were the last times we were spending with the characters we knew and love, and ended on one hell of a high note. The Chuck series finale didn't have any of that. It had more of a feel of a season finale. That was the problem.
I agree with you that Angel's finale was better than Chuck's, but still thought Chuck's was good too. According to the interview linked to above, they cut a ton of footage to get it down to the ~40 minutes of actual show so I'm hoping those cut bits restored help with the closure aspect. As it is, I was just happy to see a show that was always teetering on the verge of cancellation get a good ending at all (not unlike Angel, again).
Old January 29 2012, 03:05 AM   #24
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I was thinking about buying the complete series on DVD once the show was over but with that ending I think I'm gonna pass on them. My favorite aspect of the show was the Chuck/Sarah relationship and this finale sort of ripped that away. It left me with a maybe she'll remember and they'll stay together ending to it* and it just leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. If I want that I'll drink a diet soda.

* It's just too open ended for me.
Old January 29 2012, 03:38 AM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
I wish the show had ended with either the Season 3 finale, the mid-Season 4 finale "Push Mix", or the Season 4 finale that featured Chuck and Sarah's wedding but without the post-wedding scenes.
The S4 finale with the post-wedding scenes is the right way to do "open-ended" - did anyone really want to see Morgan with the intersect? I sure didn't. But as a joke of the "we'll let you imagine what happens next" type, it would have been perfect.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 04:49 AM   #26
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Even though I enjoyed most of this season I wish it had ended with season 4. The season 4 finale was a fitting series finale even with Morgan getting the Intersect. Maybe I'll just get season one through four on DVD and skip season 5...pretend it didn't happen a la Earth Final Conflict's 5th season.
Old January 29 2012, 05:20 AM   #27
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

That can work.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 05:53 AM   #28
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Fantastic finale. Villain was a bit bland but I was more interested once he made the stakes personal last week.

I'll miss Buy-Moria.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 06:19 AM   #29
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Not the greatest season, but I didn't think it was 'show-taintingly bad'. The worst part by far was the crummy villain. He was just some fat dude without an interesting personality who just kind of showed up. I was expecting a real villain to appear and one never did...

I liked the finale. Jeffster getting the Metallica: S&M treatement,
Old January 29 2012, 08:15 AM   #30
Caliburn24
Commodore

I think if they had kept Shaw until the finale few episodes instead of giving him one episode at Christmas it would have been a major improvement.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote