Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 2 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I Need Some Dating Advice

Yesterday, while flirting with a woman I know, I asked for her phone number and she gave it to me. If anybody remembers my "I Hate Myself" thread from about a year and half ago (shameless plug - http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=128007) you know that this is a huge deal for me.

So, now I need some advice on where to go on a first date. Any ideas?
Old January 2 2012, 02:25 PM   #2
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: I Need Some Dating Advice

I quite like lingering dates, say meet up in the afternoon for a hot beverage then if you get on well you can go for dinner or a movie or a stroll or something.

Or a casual drink is always good.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
ThankQ
Admiral

First, make it not a huge thing for you

Just read a few pages from your ShamlessMcPlug thread. Since this does seem so big to you (and it's just a first date) I would suggest keeping it way simple, maybe even silly.

BOWLING.

I shit you not. Bowling.

Simple, don't have to throw down your whole loaf of bread, you can talk (can't it cinema/theater), you can move around (can't at dinner), being able to move and talk freely is a helpful freedom. Felling tied down to a chair can make you feel trapped or stuck and movies are poor date ideas I think because there is not room for a lot of interaction after you sit down with the popcorn.
Old January 2 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
smiki
Captain

^For the same reasons: skating.

Edit: Of course, if you like skating, and you know she does too. No need to put both of you in misery.

Last edited by smiki; January 2 2012 at 06:45 PM.
smiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
ThankQ
Admiral

Good idea. Plus, if you're as poor a skater as I am, skating could allow for naturally occurring casual touching, which may chill you out a bit and could wind up helping spark a bit of chemistry. Who knows?
Old January 2 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I like the dinner date. I think the intimacy helps. Of course I also like sitting down at a nice place and eating dinner.
Old January 3 2012, 05:51 AM   #7
ParLawGod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great news!

Do you know anything about her? Perhaps you could plan part of your date around her interests?

Comedy club, walk through the zoo, mini golfing...doesn't have to be expensive to be a memorable date.

One piece of advice: if you're driving, don't drive like an idiot. Most women hate that
Old January 3 2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

I like dinner at a quiet place with some sort of optional activity afterward... like going to hear a live music show. I like the bowling idea though, never tried that one.
Old January 3 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I quite like lingering dates, say meet up in the afternoon for a hot beverage then if you get on well you can go for dinner or a movie or a stroll or something.

This!

My current girlfriend and I had our first date by just meeting for coffee at a bookstore. Granted, this was in lower Manhattan, so anything we'd want to do was close by. We wound up not having any coffee. Instead, we bounced around the city all day, going into various shops, wandering through Central Park, and then saw a show on Broadway. It was an awesome date.

I think the best way to go about it is to go in with something casual planned, but be willing to throw the plans away to do whatever comes to mind.

I don't recommend a first date consisting of just a movie or anything like that, though. Hard to get to know each other if you can't talk, right?

The advice others gave about doing something you are both interested in is also good. Just don't get totally committed to whatever you come up with--being fluid is a plus!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Plan drinks and dinner. Not an overly fancy place, but not a chain like Applebys either. You want to sit and talk and get to know each other.

Plan it for early in the evening, and if after a couple of hours things are still going well, suggest a movie. Hopefully while chatting you have asked her what her favorite movies are, so you can pick something comparable.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
ThankQ
Admiral

Maxwell House wrote: View Post

This!

My current girlfriend and I had our first date by just meeting for coffee at a bookstore. Granted, this was in lower Manhattan, so anything we'd want to do was close by. We wound up not having any coffee. Instead, we bounced around the city all day, going into various shops, wandering through Central Park, and then saw a show on Broadway. It was an awesome date.

I think the best way to go about it is to go in with something casual planned, but be willing to throw the plans away to do whatever comes to mind.

I don't recommend a first date consisting of just a movie or anything like that, though. Hard to get to know each other if you can't talk, right?

The advice others gave about doing something you are both interested in is also good. Just don't get totally committed to whatever you come up with--being fluid is a plus!
Yes, fluidity is a plusidity, but remember we're trying to get the OP on a date that begins and ends pleasantly, with pleasidity in between. All-day-dates just kind of happen. Let's not put too much pressure on the new guy. It's his first article in the paper, let's not give him 200 column inchs to fill.
Old January 3 2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

ThankQ wrote: View Post
Maxwell House wrote: View Post

This!

Yes, fluidity is a plusidity, but remember we're trying to get the OP on a date that begins and ends pleasantly, with pleasidity in between. All-day-dates just kind of happen. Let's not put too much pressure on the new guy. It's his first article in the paper, let's not give him 200 column inchs to fill.
Well, I would hope he would take all the advice in this thread and synthesize it into something that he thinks will work in his case. There are no hard and fast answers about dating, after all.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 04:13 PM   #13
ThankQ
Admiral

^Oh sure, I just didn't want to see him spending two days trying to come up with the perfect plan of fluidity
Old January 3 2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The zoo works. If you're getting along great you can talk and pay as much attention to one another as you like. If it's...awkward and unpleasant, look at the monkeys.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 04:26 PM   #15
ThankQ
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The zoo works. If you're getting along great you can talk and pay as much attention to one another as you like. If it's...awkward and unpleasant, look at the monkeys.
Just skip the sea lions who do tricks. You just don't want to be compared to that on a first date.