Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 24 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
GemHaters
Captain

Who Else Loved Lieutenant Barclay?

Honestly, when he's first introduced in 'Hollow Pursuits' I found him a bit annoying, but the more I saw him the more he grew on me to the point of looking forward to the next episode he was in. I guess my overall point here is, why the hell wasn't he given some kind of role on DS9? He was obviously a fan favorite, or he never would have been brought back so many times.

And on that note, Q only got ONE episode on DS9??? Preposterous! He didn't have to come back as frequently as he was on TNG, but come on!!!
GemHaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 02:43 AM   #2
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Who Else Loved Lieutenant Barclay?

GemHaters wrote: View Post
Honestly, when he's first introduced in 'Hollow Pursuits' I found him a bit annoying, but the more I saw him the more he grew on me to the point of looking forward to the next episode he was in. I guess my overall point here is, why the hell wasn't he given some kind of role on DS9? He was obviously a fan favorite, or he never would have been brought back so many times.

And on that note, Q only got ONE episode on DS9??? Preposterous! He didn't have to come back as frequently as he was on TNG, but come on!!!
His first episode they played him off as an imbecil. He improved after the incident with the Cytherians (sp?).

They always played him as the stereotypical loser who pines for Deanna but is content to just be her friend, instead of letting the guy develop some type of better relationship with someone else.
Old January 24 2012, 03:23 AM   #3
7thsealord
Captain

I always thought Barclay successfully managed to be both funny and a very sympathetic character - his lack of confidence with other people is something I think a lot of us can identify with. I know I did.

Would have been very easy to play him solely for comedic effect but, thankfully, they didn't.
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 03:48 AM   #4
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I *love* Barclay - love love love 'em. What a great idea for a character and what a great job Dwight Schultz did of portraying him. I'm not equally thrilled with every way in which the character was used - sometimes the writing verged on stereotypical - but I think it was great having an alternative the near-perfect Starfleet officers that surrounded him.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 04:02 AM   #5
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

GemHaters wrote: View Post
Q only got ONE episode on DS9??? Preposterous! He didn't have to come back as frequently as he was on TNG, but come on!!!
Q didn't have the kind of onscreen chemistry with Sisko that he had with Picard or Janeway. All Sisko wanted to do was punch Q in the face...otherwise Sisko wanted nothing to do with him. At least Picard and Janeway sort of enjoyed sparring with Q. Sisko would have none of it.

As for Barclay, I totally identified with that guy. Barclay was much more realistic than any other character we've seen, IMHO. At least Barclay had faults. He wasn't the ultra-perfect type that Gene was always trying to put out there.

My favorite Barclay line in Trek history (from 'The Nth Degree'):

(on being told by the computer that there is no 'neural scan interface' in the records)
Barclay: No problem...here's how you BUILD it!
I just love how totally exasperated Reg sounds, like it's the most obvious thing in the world.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 04:32 AM   #6
7thsealord
Captain

Naturally, Memory-Alpha has quite a lot on Barclay. Especially noteworthy is a very nice excerpted interview with Dwight Schultz (Appendices, Badkground Info) which fits in well with how many here see the character.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Reginald_Barclay
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 04:51 AM   #7
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Nth Degree was a great episode, and he was the perfect character for it.

RAMA
Old January 24 2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Agreed. I liked him and would have liked to have seen him on DS9. I think he was wasted on Voyager, though I did like that he had showed a gain in confidence.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 05:42 AM   #9
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

The introduction of the character was very disturbing - wrongthink is bad! Lustful thoughts? You're not pretty enough to have lustfull thoughts! Privacy? What's that?
Sadly, 20 years later, we're well down that road.
Old January 24 2012, 06:10 AM   #10
dtoliaferro
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I certainly identified with Barclay, still do.

For all his faults, he was still a Starfleet officer.
dtoliaferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 07:29 AM   #11
davejames
Vice Admiral

I miss Q. It's a shame two movies were wasted on boring nobodies like Ru'afu and Shinzon, while a fantastic villain like Q was relegated to making guest appearances on freakin Voyager.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 07:38 AM   #12
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

The problem with using Q in a movie is that he's so powerful, any situation involving him is likely to be over too quickly to stretch out into a feature film.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 08:55 AM   #13
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The problem with using Q in a movie is that he's so powerful, any situation involving him is likely to be over too quickly to stretch out into a feature film.
Yeah it's a challenge, but I'm sure they could have figured something out. Q was rarely the immediate threat in his episodes anyway-- just the guy hovering in the background instigating things and putting the crew in difficult situations.

No reason he couldn't have done the same thing again.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:37 AM   #14
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

What's the OP's obsession with shoehorning TNG cast members into DS9..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Mage
Commodore

I loved Barclay, both as a character and how he was portrayed. It was good to see that not EVERYONE is perfect in The Next Generation.

Funny thing, the new A-Team movie was on tv a few days ago, and the scene where they were about to bust Murdock out of the nuthouse was on. Funny scene, so I kept watching. As a diversion, the rest of the team sent a movie to screen on a wall, to keep everyone busy. And I couldn't help but notice one of the 'actors' listed in the credits of that movie: Reginald Barclay.