Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 23 2012, 01:22 PM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Fandom Questionnaire

I've been feeling kind of invisible lately so answering a long tome of questions might fix that..

What main Media Texts (TV Shows, Comic Books, Video Games, Cartoons, Anime/Manga, Movies, Other) would you say, you are a fan of?
TV Shows, one particular game, movies, in that order. Dabble in everything else though.

Have you ever created any fan produced content (E.g. Fan fiction, Fan art, fan videos, fan wikis, etc)? If so, what prompted you to do this and what did you hope to achieve?
Fan video, tumblr and blogging. I hoped to achieve enjoying myself.

Do you engage with fan produced content? If so, what form does it take and why and where do you engage with it? E.g. writing a fan fiction on fanfiction.net to explore an alternate ending to a TV series?
I watch youtubes, look at art and sometimes read fanfic if it's parody.

What do you think is the appeal of fan produced content?
It's MORE MORE MORE of the universe you love, especially if it's done well. You get that instant hit of knowing someone else is as into your fandom as you are and you get to enjoy your universe in a new permutation. When you have watched the same finite episodes over and over for uhh.. decades.. new content is very enjoyable.

Are you a member of an online forum dedicated to a particular object of fandom (celebrity, film/TV series, etc)? Why did you join and what has your experience been like?
I've been on lots of them, this being the longer term one (yahoogroups pretty much died). The first thing I do when I'm all caught up in a series is look for forum discussion, whether here or elsewhere. My experiences have been very interesting and enjoyable, though sometimes it is sad to see I've missed the boat when a fandom seems to be stagnant (Bab 5).

Have you ever encountered any online abuse when you have been on an online forum? Can you recall a specific incident?
No, though someone once attributed some craziness to me that was actually someone else. I let it stand because it was it like gaining a bad rep without doing anything and I thought it was funny.

What are your views on fans producing and distributing fan created content through the internet? Also what are your thoughts on the potential issues of copyright (E.g. using someone else’s creations in a piece of fan art)?
I think that fandom creations are huge in keeping a series alive and still being something that gets watched (and which advertisers pay for). It's FREE advertising, free fanvangelism, free publicity keeping the subject of the fandom relevant. It irks me when TPTB don't see it that way.

What do you think are the good and bad points of online forums and websites that encourage creativity such as: YouTube, fanfiction.net, DeviantART, etc, for those involved in fandom?
Good points: sense of community, frequent humor, get to be awed at others creativity, allows people to be a part of an ongoing tide of memes.

Bad points: Can't think of any.

Have you encountered or been involved with any instances of spoiling (revealing significant (and usually secret) elements of a TV series, film, book, etc, i.e. spoilers) online? What was the experience like?
I work very hard to stay unspoiled, yet my own curiosity spoiled me for one of ENT's big reveals. I was kicking myself for a long time. I do value forums that are strict about posting spoiler warnings for this reason.

Do you feel that fans have the right to post spoilers online? Do you think it ruins or enriches the experience of being a fan?
You either love 'em or you avoid 'em. As to "rights" well that's up to the forum owner isn't it? There are no "rights" other than what the forum owner gives you.

Do you think it is good or bad for fans to have access to celebrities and creative teams through the internet? (E.g. following writers/directors on Twitter) Do you follow a creative professional online, and for what reason? (E.g. writer, actor, musician, etc)
I barely follow them, might look up someone's facebook if I hear mention of something like an album coming out. "Good or bad", why the value call? If you want to follow someone, go for it, if not then don't. I prefer the fiction to the reality behind it which is why I don't pay much attention.

Have you ever been involved with signing a petition online or become part of an online campaign? Can you explain your motivation behind doing so?
Yep I have signed many Bring Back Janeway petitions. My motivation is.. "hey, who knows, someone may actually read this."

Do you think that Web 2.0 has given fans a larger say in the creative decisions made for the products of their fandom, and if so, what are your views on it?
I think any organic wiki-esque social networking is a positive thing. If you mean however creative decisions made for a series because of social networking/blogging then I highly doubt it. I don't think much attention is paid to fandom other than perhaps the loudest voice at any given time. And just because that voice is heard doesn't mean it will translate into action.

The participatory nature of web 2.0 has hugely enhanced fandom, making it not just more accessible but ubiquitous for the generation growing up with it. Nowadays if you're a teen and you like a show you will be plugged into tumblr, facebook, twitter etc.. as simply the way you like that show. I believe this has revitalized fandom. I remember going to a con in the 70's.. it was full of old, fat, strange people. I was the youngest person there. NOW I go to cons where there are THOUSANDS of young people all dressed up in costumes, arriving in huge groups with their friends, having a fantastic time. They meet tumblr friends at cons. Fandom has had an incredible adrenaline injection and while I won't say social media is the main reason it has certainly been the conduit.

If you could change one thing about online fandom what would it be?
A Bab 5 forum that isn't dead? That's about it, I love online fandom.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 02:57 PM   #17
TheDoctor388
Ensign

Thank you very much for your interesting and detailed response Teacake. Are you a fellow Media Student may I ask? Lots of great stuff in there which I can add to my study.
Cheers very much,
TD388
TheDoctor388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

No I'm not a media student, just like watching the changes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote