IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 21 2012, 02:10 PM   #61
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan
Re: What are your current computer's specs?

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Yeah, I heard Windows 7 overtook Windows XP in market share recently. Still, 90% of computer users don't need more than 4 GB of RAM. I believe that buying more of anything than you really need is a waste of ressources and thus not a good policy.
In my case, I just like to be comfortable.
I upgraded my PC last spring :

Asus motherboard M4N68T V2
Phenom 2 x6 1055T
2x 4GB DD3 1333
Some graphic card (a radeon HD 5570 apparently...I didn't even remember)
2x500 GB HD
Some old DVD player and DVD burner
An old ugly box around that.
Plugged to a "beautiful" internet box designed by Philippe Stark (it's not a joke) and optical fiber (optical fiber is maybe the most beautiful thing in the world, after the Paris-Brest, of course).
Old January 21 2012, 06:56 PM   #62
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

2.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
256MB (shared) Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics chip
640GB Hard Drive
Dual-layer DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

For more details see here. I haven't changed or replaced anything.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 03:10 PM   #63
Great Pumpkin
Pumpkin God

Location: In the pumpkin patch to surprise Linus and Captain Ice

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Yeah, I heard Windows 7 overtook Windows XP in market share recently. Still, 90% of computer users don't need more than 4 GB of RAM. I believe that buying more of anything than you really need is a waste of ressources and thus not a good policy.
Generally I agree with you regarding buying more than you really need. However, computers are one of the items where I disagree with you. If I were someone who bought a new computer every other year, I would agree with you. However, I only really buy (or build since I build my own desktops) computers every 7 or 8 years or so. With how quickly the world of computers changes, I've found that it's better to buy the absolute best processor, the largest hard drive, the best optical drive, and the most RAM capacity you can afford as this generally means that you will be able to go for a longer period of time before you have to upgrade anything.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Great Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 04:14 PM   #64
Deks
Rear Admiral

Hehe.... I'm happy to report I got my X9100 cpu.
I had some temperature issues at first, but after properly spreading the thermal grease on the cpu and gpu, temps don't exceed 70 degrees in gaming for example...
I even stress tested the cpu for 26 mins... 70-72 degrees C stable and constant under load.

Well, that and I unvervolted the cpu so that when it's running at maximum frequency of 3.06Ghz on both cores, instead of using 1.2V, it's using 1.1V (which means that by reducing the current I probably dropped the temps by about 5 to 10 degrees C - I hadn't tried running stress tests without the undervolt).

Love it, though I'm still considering putting copper shims of 2x2cm by 1mm on the gpu, cpu and northbridge to see if I can force another 10 or 15 degrees drop in temps (that would definitely be sweet).

Current laptop specs:
CPU: X9100 Core2Extreme 3.06Ghz
GPU: 9700M GT GDDR3
RAM: 8GB SO-DIMM DDR2 800Mhz
HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 - 500GB/7200rpm

The final potential upgrade I might consider is to put an SSD into the primary hdd bay for OS and programs, then yank out the optical drive and place a caddy in it's pace and put the HDD inside (but I'll probably do this at a later time).
Old January 22 2012, 05:52 PM   #65
ares93
Commodore

Deks wrote: View Post
Love it, though I'm still considering putting copper shims of 2x2cm by 1mm on the gpu, cpu and northbridge to see if I can force another 10 or 15 degrees drop in temps (that would definitely be sweet).
They'll help some, but don't expect miracles. Your best bet is uning quality thermal paste and clean the computer regularly with pressurized air

Current laptop specs:
CPU: X9100 Core2Extreme 3.06Ghz
GPU: 9700M GT GDDR3
RAM: 8GB SO-DIMM DDR2 800Mhz
HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 - 500GB/7200rpm

The final potential upgrade I might consider is to put an SSD into the primary hdd bay for OS and programs, then yank out the optical drive and place a caddy in it's pace and put the HDD inside (but I'll probably do this at a later time).
Juicy specs, mate.

As for the extra hdd. I used the same trick inmy Asus before i dicovered it has two hdd slots. (one was hidden inside the computer, covered by a piece of plastic.) You'll have a slighly lower transfer speed, but unless you're using an SSD in the optical slot, you wont notice it. If you run a normal mechanical HHD, it wont make a difference.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 09:17 PM   #66
Deks
Rear Admiral

Oh I regularly clean my laptop manually (at least once per year)... but I never use compressed air (because there's a good chance it can push the dust further inside the system which can induce damage - and it can be unreliable).
As for thermal grease, I do use a quality paste... it's Zalman STG2 - these temps I'm getting are essentially the same with what a guy got applying MX-4 on his (same) laptop with same specs.

I'm hardly expecting 'miracles' with copper shims... 70 degrees during games or just doing CPU intensive work is amazing by itself (especially for an extreme cpu of 44W)... I just want to do it to see how much lower the temps can go.
Copper shims can be very effective and applying paste in the same manner like I did now, below and on top of the shims will essentially produce a 'mini heatsink'.
I'll be happy if the temps go down by another 5 degrees C... though I'm hoping 10 or 15 degrees less would be achievable (under load of course - I don't really expect idle temps to go down) because some people were able to get that much reduction.

Also keep in mind that this is an Acer 5930G so it's cooling system wasn't exactly perceived to be 'the best' if you know what I mean, but what I got with an extreme cpu shows that cooling can be more than adequate if you know what you're doing.

Original specs of this laptop when I got it (Nov/1st/2008) were:
CPU: P7350 (core 2 duo, 2.0Ghz per core)
GPU: 9600m gt gddr3 (underclocked 9700m gt actually - chips are identical - only clocks are diff)
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB 5400rpm

Lol... I undervolted the gpu years ago to 0.89V via flashing and OC-ed it to 9700m gt levels (20%) through Nvidia Control panel.

As for the SSD... actually, I was thinking on connecting it where my HDD is now and use a caddy option to replace the optical bay with the said HDD (hitachi) (essentially I'd have 2 drives... and the HDD would predominantly be used for storage - OS, installed programs and games would be on the SSD).
Old January 22 2012, 11:32 PM   #67
ares93
Commodore

Oh I regularly clean my laptop manually (at least once per year)... but I never use compressed air (because there's a good chance it can push the dust further inside the system which can induce damage - and it can be unreliable).
Not if you disassemble the cooling system and only clean that.

I could disassemble the cooling system on my old laptop by removing 11 screws. A cpu swap took 3 minutes flat.

My current laptop i slightly more difficult to disassemble. But i disassemble and clean in every three or four months anyway. (You would to if you worked in the auto repair industry.) Although, i try to avoid bringing it to work and use my Toughbook instead.

As for thermal grease, I do use a quality paste... it's Zalman STG2 - these temps I'm getting are essentially the same with what a guy got applying MX-4 on his (same) laptop with same specs.
Good choice, I use the same.

I'm hardly expecting 'miracles' with copper shims... 70 degrees during games or just doing CPU intensive work is amazing by itself (especially for an extreme cpu of 44W)... I just want to do it to see how much lower the temps can go.
Copper shims can be very effective and applying paste in the same manner like I did now, below and on top of the shims will essentially produce a 'mini heatsink'.
I'll be happy if the temps go down by another 5 degrees C... though I'm hoping 10 or 15 degrees less would be achievable (under load of course - I don't really expect idle temps to go down) because some people were able to get that much reduction.

Also keep in mind that this is an Acer 5930G so it's cooling system wasn't exactly perceived to be 'the best' if you know what I mean, but what I got with an extreme cpu shows that cooling can be more than adequate if you know what you're doing.

Original specs of this laptop when I got it (Nov/1st/2008) were:
CPU: P7350 (core 2 duo, 2.0Ghz per core)
GPU: 9600m gt gddr3 (underclocked 9700m gt actually - chips are identical - only clocks are diff)
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB 5400rpm

Lol... I undervolted the gpu years ago to 0.89V via flashing and OC-ed it to 9700m gt levels (20%) through Nvidia Control panel.
Its nice to meet someone who has both the knowledge and will to mod laptops. Most people look at a disassembled laptop and run away. We laptop modders are an endangered species, I'm afraid.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
Old January 23 2012, 12:37 AM   #68
Deks
Rear Admiral

lol...
well, I do like to tinker with laptops, that's for sure, but only in a manner that is relatively safe of course because it's not as if I currently have cash growing on trees.
Old January 23 2012, 02:48 AM   #69
RAMA
Vice Admiral

With the cloud craze, we all have unlimited storage space!
Old January 23 2012, 02:53 AM   #70
RAMA
Vice Admiral

ares93 wrote: View Post
^ Now, that's a pretty nice setup. A bit cluttered for my taste, but otherwise, its totally me. Fast and functional.

Btw, this is my Command Center. I have a temporary Benq screen now since the old one died. But its crap, so it doesn deserve to be present.
Well if you look carefully there isnt anything more on there than I Need, its all peripherals and such...I also like the tower on the desk, but that would take up more space.
Old January 23 2012, 08:10 AM   #71
Deks
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
With the cloud craze, we all have unlimited storage space!
I'm not that crazy about cloud storage.
There's something to be said in keeping certain things in the cloud for better retrieval in the field... but not really for general storage.
I don't like the premise of having every single bit of electronic data in a cloud that would essentially require very fast/reliable speeds (something the ISP's can be cheap with like idiots even if there's no real technical reason to be - their lack of upgrading their networks is not my problem - they also have tons of money needed to get the job done, but we still get what we get).

Furthermore... the chances of your data being compromised is a bit higher in the cloud since for the most part, there would be nothing more than standard security measures in place that others with decent technical skills could break through relatively easily.
As I said, I can see the advantage of keeping certain aspects in the cloud... but definitely not things that are huge -space wise and everything else that you might need at any time (and with inherent unreliability of ISP's, internet connections, let alone fast ones can't be guaranteed globally - especially in areas where they have no coverage).
Old January 26 2012, 04:35 AM   #72
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Planned upgrades. 2nd hard drive, possibly bluray drive.

The new router:

RAMA
Old January 26 2012, 05:29 AM   #73
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Furthermore... the chances of your data being compromised is a bit higher in the cloud since for the most part, there would be nothing more than standard security measures in place that others with decent technical skills could break through relatively easily.
Not so with DropBox (which I use regularly). It has near military-grade encryption measures which would take about a million years to break.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 10:16 AM   #74
ares93
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Not so with DropBox (which I use regularly). It has near military-grade encryption measures which would take about a million years to break.
Unless the authorities ask them nicely. And they they'll give 'em the keys to the mansion without a second thought.

No ta, highly encrypted drives in my own servers will do nicely. I don't trust anyone else but myself with my data.
Old January 26 2012, 01:45 PM   #75
Deks
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That's with brute force techniques.
There are others which would take less time, and let's not forget that once quantum computers become mainstream (if it happens anytime soon given how companies seem content in giving us revisions of older technologies instead for some time to come to boost their profits) it's not gonna be an issue.

Plus, as ares93 already said... if the authorities want your information for whatever reason, your security measures mean squat and they get access to it.
With physical storage, the risk of this is reduced, and you can likely erase the content in a hurry if you want to.
And I don't ascribe to the premise that 'you're innocent if you have nothing to hide'.
That's a load of garbage meant to erode people's privacy. I'm sorry, but even if I'm 'innocent', that doesn't give the 'authorities' the right to have access to my data at their leisure.

If certain people want ALL of their data out into the open, fine... I have nothing against that... even I place certain things out into the open, but there's a limit to what I put out, and the data that's 'limited' is can only be accessible to me... not the authorities, my family or close friends... just me.