RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 480
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 27 2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Ghost Bones
Captain

Blink: Is it all that?

It's quite good, Blink. Effective idea, not blinking or they'll move and all that. Thing is, doesn't all make sense does it? If they get you they feed off the time you would have lived by sending you back in time. What the fuck? Surely you should just die there and then. When it comes to energy, surely you're making a net loss by shooting someone back in time 50 odd years. And when whassername who ended up in Casualty (small c) gets sent back, she ends up in...what was it, a field in Wigan? If you get randomly placed like that, it's lucky she didn't end up in the sea.

The worst bit though is that fucking twat with his "Hurhur, I'm not sure but is my willy out?" routine. I mean what is this, cunting Men Behaving Badly?

Blink's still alright though.
Old January 27 2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Blink: Is it all that?

I don't know ... there's sort of a perpetual motion machine implied by the feeding mechanism of the Angels. I don't see how they can get more energy out of displacing their victims than it takes to push them to another time. But it was an astonishing concept and chilling when it first aired. Ordinary statues -- you see them everywhere, except some aren't what you think they are. Moffat has a talent for picking out ordinary things and making them creepy.

And while you're right that they should have just consumed all your potential and left you dead on the spot, I'm glad they went the way they did and had that wonderful and poignant second meeting between Sally and Billy Shipton. An impossible moment that couldn't happen anywhere else.

I'm disappointed by the way they were handled in "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone"; suddenly they were less creepy at the same time they became much more lethal. And one of their chief limitations -- that an Angel looking at another Angel would be enough to freeze the second Angel -- seemed to be forgotten.

I'm not sure what the point was behind whats-her-name's brother's intro, though. Oh look, I have no pants! Maybe something like that happened to Moffat once and he wanted to share what he thought was a funny story.

Still, I think this remains my favorite of the New Doctor Who stories.
Old January 27 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I would say the "no pants" thing is a quick way of breaking the ice between Sally and Larry. Once you've already seen the other one naked, there's little left of mystery between you. And that's necessary for them to be able to work together smoothly enough later.

The time-travel thing was in the original concept for "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone." Remember the ancient book that River read from, the "final authority" of the Angels? Originally it was going to be revealed that the book was written by one of the soldier/priests from that episode who had got zapped back in time during the episode. But it got cut from the script for time (so to speak).

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Psion
Commodore

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
The time-travel thing was in the original concept for "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone." Remember the ancient book that River read from, the "final authority" of the Angels? Originally it was going to be revealed that the book was written by one of the soldier/priests from that episode who had got zapped back in time during the episode. But it got cut from the script for time (so to speak).

Oh! That is good! Absolutely unnecessary for the story they were telling, but it's a nice touch.
Old January 27 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
23skidoo
Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what the point was behind whats-her-name's brother's intro, though.
There was no point. It was a joke intended to provide a memorable introduction to the episode's secondary lead character. The plot gets no thicker. Remember that Doctor Who is supposed to be a humor-tinged science fiction series. Always has been.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Thing is, doesn't all make sense does it?
If you want everything to make sense, you may be watching the wrong show.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 09:31 PM   #7
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Best part of Blink is the edning where the Doctor warns the viewers about not blinking as they show all those statues.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Yes, Blink is awesome since you asked.

That is all.
Old January 27 2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm not really a Dr. Who watcher (or fan) but I thought it was a nice little episode.
Old January 27 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

It was. It really was wasn't it? And then to be followed by Utopia. To me, the finest of the season in question. A shame the Angels were changed slightly in modus operandi for their return in Matt Smith's first season.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Wereghost
Commodore

Short answer: Yes.

The logic of the Weeping Angels doesn't bother me much. Some of the best Who stories eschew logic pretty much completely (City Of Death is a bit nuts.)

Blink is a clever, erudite, instructive, mentally stimulating, emotionally engaging, artistically worthy, conceptually avante-garde, meticulously polished, breathlessly exciting, compactly delivered little romp, reminding us as it does what a fantastic and versatile storytelling medium the mythological TV drama can sometimes be.

And it had the TARDIS taking off while leaving occupants behind, a scene whose coolness was the cherry on the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Wereghost; January 27 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Psion
Commodore

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what the point was behind whats-her-name's brother's intro, though.
There was no point. It was a joke intended to provide a memorable introduction to the episode's secondary lead character. The plot gets no thicker. Remember that Doctor Who is supposed to be a humor-tinged science fiction series. Always has been.

Alex
Ahhhh! Well thank you for explaining that to me. I never noticed that before.
Old January 28 2012, 12:13 AM   #13
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

It was an okay episode but it gave birth to the punch in the face worthy term "timey-whimey". I cringe eveytime I hear it and the variations of it.
Old January 28 2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Australis
Writer

It's good. And if the Weeping Angels are 'quantum locked' then I just take it to mean that they behave in a quantum way which is hard for us to comprehend, because quantum physics really is a bit out there.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Takeru
Fleet Captain

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
Best part of Blink is the edning where the Doctor warns the viewers about not blinking as they show all those statues.
That was the only part I didn't like, it was so over the top.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote