Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 16 2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: The "Shatnerverse" what do you all think-recommend or no

Christopher wrote: View Post
"One day?" It was in The Return that the infamous "60-ish Kirk beats up 30-something Worf" scene happened.
Thanks. I was trying to block out the gory details.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Kirk would be good enough on a bad day to beat Worf up.
Old January 16 2012, 09:43 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Kirk's flying kick beats any Klingon martial art. Beats it to death.
Old January 16 2012, 10:27 PM   #19
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Worf would crumple under the air displaced ahead of Kirk's JUDO CHOP, before it even connected.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 10:34 PM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Worf would crumple under the air displaced ahead of Kirk's JUDO CHOP, before it even connected.
I understand Worf collapsed just watching Kirk's battle with Thelev on videotape!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 11:01 PM   #21
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

I gave up during Spectre, just plain lost interest. Never really liked the whole ressurection thing either. But the Ashes of Eden was okay.
Old January 17 2012, 04:27 AM   #22
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network

I think Ashes of Eden was excellent--and it was a fitting "true" end to James T. Kirk's adventures in the 23rd Century--along with

The Return was pretty good--I enjoyed it a great deal. Still...I think the "attack the Borg homeworld" thing was a little hokey. So...how were they able to find the homeworld again?

Avenger was all right...but I didn't really see what was served by "revealing" that Sarek was murdered, and that Kirk has to avenge him.

The MU trilogy was pretty good--an enjoyable read...just not particularly memorable. I thought the parallel Earth "explanation", with the Preserver element, made the final book a little dull.

I haven't read the first and third book in the Totality trilogy...but I read Captain's Blood. It was all right--I like the whole mystery of "Who killed Ambassador Spock...or is he even dead?" Still, I suppose it was a little confusing because I didn't read the backstory with Norinda in the first book.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Lange
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the opinions so far guys seems like the books have a lot of merit. I'll at least give Ashes of Eden a try because that doesn't have Kirk's revival and is more of a final story before Kirk's role in generations and that seems pretty interesting to me. I may at some point even give the others a try even if the resurrection deal bothers me it would be a good story after all and I dont have to take it literaly to the main continuity.
Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 05:55 PM   #24
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

This sounds crazy, but when I read Ashes of Eden, I felt it could have worked as a Star Trek VII if the original crew did one more.
Old January 17 2012, 08:08 PM   #25
JWD75
Commander

Broccoli wrote: View Post
This sounds crazy, but when I read Ashes of Eden, I felt it could have worked as a Star Trek VII if the original crew did one more.
I agree. Ashes of Eden was quite good as was The Return. The Shatnerverse went downhill from there.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 08:49 PM   #26
Saul
Rear Admiral

By rule of thumb the books became progressively weaker with each one. But I loved them. The Ashes of Eden was great and felt the closest to spirit of the Movie era star Trek. The Return was just a heck of a lot of fun to read. Lets face it, Kirk CAN beat up anyone because he is Kirk from Star Trek. Avenger was enjoyable too. The Mirror Universe Trilogy was good but not as good as the previous trilogy. The Totality Trilogy was the weakest and a bit frustrating but nice ending to the series. The prequel Collision Course was fun too and I liked seeing Kirk's early days explored but the Villains were less interesting as was the threat.
I see these books as something like a Character series books, like spy novels, or fantasy/wizard novels. So I allow them to be larger than life and don't get too hung up on things that seem over the top. The writers try hard to tie everything together with Canon and they explore some fun unexplained canon.
Old January 17 2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Saul wrote: View Post
Lets face it, Kirk CAN beat up anyone because he is Kirk from Star Trek.
Not really. Remember, Roddenberry's whole purpose with Star Trek was to get away with the cartoony, larger-than-life fantasies of most science fiction on TV and approach the genre as a naturalistic adult drama, with more grounded and human characters. Kirk wasn't supposed to be some perfect superhero, but a relatable everyman with flaws and doubts and vulnerabilities and limitations. He generally did win his fights, but often with difficulty, getting pretty beat up in the process. And there were a number of fights he didn't win. Spock totally wiped the floor with him in "This Side of Paradise" and "Amok Time." The Air Force guards took him down in "Tomorrow is Yesterday." Cloud William beat him easily in "The Omega Glory." So he wasn't some unbeatable fantasy hero.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 10:03 PM   #28
captcalhoun
Admiral

don't you mean 'get away from'? not get away with....
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 10:32 PM   #29
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network

^Indeed. By saying "get away with"...Chris is actually agreeing with Saul!
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 10:45 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Broccoli wrote: View Post

Collision Course, I really enjoyed. Much more character driven than the others, in my opinion. I am disappointed that the follow-up, Trial Run, will likely never see print.
+1