The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What did You Think Of The 2 Hour Premiere?
::::::::[ "Pilot" ]::::: 2 3.17%
Excellent! 11 17.46%
Good 35 55.56%
Average 11 17.46%
Bad 3 4.76%
Horrible! 1 1.59%
:::::[ "Ernest Cobb" ]::::: 2 3.17%
Excellent! 9 14.29%
Good 28 44.44%
Average 13 20.63%
Bad 1 1.59%
Horrible! 1 1.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 24 2012, 08:50 PM   #166
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Alcatraz (FOX) "Pilot" & "Ernest Cobb" *Spoilers!*

Urgh, I'm not sure how much more of this show I'm going to bother with, if every week is another mundane copy-show story about the same types of criminals who abound on TV everywhere. The serial criminals are particularly annoying in how clumsily they are being written, pop-psychology style. Maybe the bank robber next week will be more fun.

But the larger issue persists: when JJ Abrams and FOX were developing/greenlighting this show, why did they think criminals from Alcatraz would be any more interesting than criminals from any other cop show we could watch instead? Or any more dangerous to the general public?

TV is chock-full of hideously dangerous criminals (as opposed to reality, of course, where serial killers are far more unusual). These guys are not at all distinctive or interesting. They better start revealing some of the background mysteries very quickly because I'm becoming very bored with the show as is.

And those mysteries better be damn good. Which of course they won't be. Maybe I should just bail now.

Santeria wrote: View Post
I'm guessing Blondie's grandfather had something special in his blood that the bad guys' organization was using to gain immortality/time travel/whatever capabilities, and were likely using the 63's as their test subjects. Throw in a bit of brainwashing and reprogramming here and there and you pretty much get what we've been seeing so far.
Now there's the show I want to see. Okay, that wouldn't be the most original premise, but at least it might be worth watching on a weekly basis. If I wanted to see a cop show, there are a dozen I can choose from. How about more sci fi instead?

Ratings news: fell 10%. Overall, a very modest drop for a sci fi series, which have a tendency to fall off a cliff in the second week. The cop-show tropes that bore me are probably what will keep the ratings buoyant, at least in the short term. I can't fault JJ Abrams' business sense.

Alcatraz fell a three tenths of a point with adults 18-49 from the last week's two-hour premiere to a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating. The 10% is a relatively decent post-premiere decline.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 12:42 AM   #167
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Again, the premise continues to be far more interesting than the characters. Sam Neill continues to be terrible on this show and he comes across as a guy who commands nothing. Sarah Jones looks and sounds a lot like Katee Sackoff did at the beginning of BSG. Maybe Sackhoff would have done a better job. Jorge Garcia is good but he's basically playing the same exact character he played on Lost. I actually find myself liking the Warden the best. The actor seems to know how to play the character for a show like this...hell, he would be a lot more interesting in the Sam Neill role. I could get creepy mysterious bastard from him.

Tonight's story was very run-of-the-mill, although the guy playing Kit was convincingly creepy. The end was interesting but that tends to be the most interesting part.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:46 AM   #168
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Agreed with the Warden. The scene in the Solitary room with the matches was the best scene in the entire episode.

As for the series as a whole, I'm still liking it but I still am worried of the "Heroes First Season" curse this show might have. They really have to start mixing it up a bit (Like one week not having a prisoner of the week, or having an episode taking place entirely in the 1960s, I don't know) because they can only go so far with the prisoner of the week thing.
Old January 25 2012, 03:30 AM   #169
Snick27
Captain

Not only did I see a terminator vibe with the guy in the first episode, I would have sworn that they were ripping off the terminator musical cue everytime they had a shot of him walking

Why is that guy getting No love here? Did like no one here ever watch Charlie Jade???

The guy in the first episode named Jack Sylvane is actor Jeffrey Pierce. Whom was in the great scifi show Charlie Jade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDjqixSWsFo

He is the main reason i watch this show, saddly he is in jail the whole time but was hoping he be more part of this show.
Old January 25 2012, 04:02 AM   #170
propita
Rear Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Wilhelm Scream™ during the showing of Ants!
It's "Them," starring giant ants. But such an easy mistake to make.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:17 AM   #171
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Thanks for the correction!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 03:02 PM   #172
scnj
Captain

Since the actor doesn't appear to be listed anywhere online, was that BSG's Doc Cottle appearing as Dr Beauregard?
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 04:26 PM   #173
Tom
Rear Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
Since the actor doesn't appear to be listed anywhere online, was that BSG's Doc Cottle appearing as Dr Beauregard?
No it wasn't. Donnelly Rhodes (Doc Cottle) did not play that doctor, I looked on IMDB and i can't find who played him, weird.

BTW, I noticed that im all three episodes so far, all prisoner flashbacks have been from 1960. Seems kinda odd that if they dissapeared in 1963 we get no flashbacks from 61 or 62. It maybe nothing, just seemed weird.
Old January 25 2012, 05:26 PM   #174
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I am still trying to figure out a few things about this show which will no doubt never be addressed or answered. Where are the guards and the families that disappeared and when will they show up? Who does Sam Neill really work for? How did Sam know they would come back and when and have the forsight to build a prison for them? Is there a point to keeping them alive and in a hidden prison?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 07:20 PM   #175
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Is there a point to keeping them alive and in a hidden prison?
Good question. Despite killing the bad guy in the last episode (probably showing, that even with questionable goals and allegiances, he has a heart), he was very insistent earlier on catching their targets alive, there must be a reason for that.
Old January 25 2012, 07:48 PM   #176
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
No it wasn't. Donnelly Rhodes (Doc Cottle) did not play that doctor, I looked on IMDB and i can't find who played him, weird.
The actor playing Doctor Beauregard is Leon Rippy.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:10 PM   #177
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

You might remember him as the bartender on Deadwood or the angel, Earl, on Saving Grace.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:46 PM   #178
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, He's a character actor that's been around for decades. It might have been hard to place him due to the fact that he rarely has hair that short and neat.
Old January 25 2012, 10:16 PM   #179
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Again, the premise continues to be far more interesting than the characters.
The premise is potentially more interesting. I'm going on the optimistic assumption that the premise is not just "cop show with criminals from Alcatraz." Maybe they're clones? Fifty years is enough time to grow all the clones to the right ages for them to be released - we haven't seen anyone who's more than 50 years old so far.

That's certainly more plausible than time travel or alternate realities, though I gotta wonder why Rebecca and Diego haven't considered the possibility that someone is just using plastic surgery to make modern-day criminals look like the Alcatraz inmates and coaching them on how to mimic their MO?

The audience has seen stuff that belies this idea, but Rebecca and Diego haven't seeen what we have. When confronted with an "impossibility," why haven't they considered that from their perspective, there are more plausible answers that don't require believing in anything beyond normal reality, and Hauser is jerking them around for his own reasons? (Because then there wouldn't be a series, which is not an acceptable answer. )

Who am I kidding, I'll keep watching just to see the other shoe drop. It's not like TV is glutted with great sci fi right now.

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Why is that guy getting No love here? Did like no one here ever watch Charlie Jade???

The guy in the first episode named Jack Sylvane is actor Jeffrey Pierce. Whom was in the great scifi show Charlie Jade.
I checked out part of one ep, didn't remember that actor (although I take it, he was the lead?), but yeah, I do like him. And since they've made a point of showing him in his cell, there's some hope that he will be reintegrated into the story in a more prominent fashion, which besides the other shoe dropping, is my main motive for hanging in there.

I gotta wonder if it would have been better to tell the story from his perspective. It would stop the show from being able to rely on tired cop-show tropes.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 10:19 PM   #180
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

^True. I'd like to see how it plays out, but I admit my expectations are fairly low.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote