RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 452
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 16 2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Where's All The X-Files Love?

I feel like the best episodes can be found in seasons 2-6, although my favorite season is actually the eighth year. Robert Patrick was a breath of fresh air, and Duchovny seemed more excited to be in half the season than he did in any season seven episode.]

EDIT: Yeah, the first season is a bit hit or miss. When they hit on the mythology it is pretty good, but they hadn't quite figured out how to tell monster-of-the-week stories (Tooms excepted).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:53 AM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think the hard part about trying to get into a show like that now is that it's just so episodic. The mythology/arc episodes take up maybe 10-20% of the total show. It's a fine format if you're just watching it week-to-week, but I find episodic television very difficult to get into if you're trying to catch up on DVD.
Old January 16 2012, 04:55 AM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

Harvey wrote: View Post
I feel like the best episodes can be found in seasons 2-6, although my favorite season is actually the eighth year.
My memory told me that Seasons 8 and 9 were awful. I was so surprised during my rewatch that Season 8 actually turned out to be awesome! I loved Scully in that season and the way her mood shifted with Mulder being absent.
Old January 16 2012, 04:56 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It holds a special place in my heart because it the first show my wife I discovered together.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:57 AM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

Oh, I think as it moves along the mythology starts to become more important. I'd say it's directly involved in 25% of the show, and indirectly figures in another 25% of it (episodes like "Paper Hearts" or "Red Museum").

Old January 16 2012, 08:06 AM   #21
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I love the show, beginning to end. A genre classic, then and now.
Old January 16 2012, 08:07 AM   #22
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It holds a special place in my heart because it the first show my wife I discovered together.
Awwww.

My husband introduced me to it after we got married. I definitely wouldn't have watched it on my own, but it was fun to put on an ep at night. We stopped as we got to one of the later seasons, mostly because we got busier but then he also told me the eps weren't as good. I'm not sure if I want to go back and finish the rest.

I had seen the first movie when it first came out (having never seen the show), so we rewatched that and I enjoyed it more.
Old January 16 2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

GemHaters wrote: View Post
Didn't I Want To Believe go up against Terminator:Salvation? That might be your reason.....
No, the second X-Files movie came out a year before T4. It was up against some small, art house film that Christian Bale starred in. Heath Ledger was in it too. Can't think of the title...
Old January 16 2012, 08:54 AM   #24
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Where's All The X-Files Love?
Not sure, but keep looking. The truth is out there...
Old January 16 2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Pingfah
Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
GemHaters wrote: View Post
Didn't I Want To Believe go up against Terminator:Salvation? That might be your reason.....
No, the second X-Files movie came out a year before T4. It was up against some small, art house film that Christian Bale starred in. Heath Ledger was in it too. Can't think of the title...
Well, it debuted the following week, but yeah, I would think it did do it some damage.

The international take wasn't a total disaster though, considering the budget. I am sure it turned a profit once it hit the home media market.

Personally I really enjoyed I Want To Believe. I thought it was a very enjoyable character piece. Although it probably could have done with having a more supernatural orientated storyline, rather than what we got, which was more of a mad scientist thing.
Old January 16 2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Harvey
Admiral

It likely broke even, and even made a little profit, but it didn't do big business. The reduced production budget compared to the first film ($35 million vs. $66 million, and when you adjust that for inflation, its $35 million vs. $87 million) suggests that Fox made the film as a bit of a test to see if The X-Files still had some life left in it as a franchise.

Since we haven't heard anything in four years, I'd say that Fox decided it wasn't worth taking a gamble on a more expensive mythology movie. As much as I want to see that movie, they're probably right. Still, it's a shame we couldn't get a telemovie or something to tie things up.

Old January 16 2012, 11:59 AM   #27
Pingfah
Admiral

Well, never say never. There's always a possibility for a mini-series or something, however unlikely

Does anybody know anything about this new Fencewalker film Carter has self-financed? It all seems to be extremely secret, I can't even find a plot outline.
Old January 16 2012, 03:25 PM   #28
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i love the X-Files. i can still remember watching the pilot episode and being pretty creeped out. i remember the first movie was a big deal among me and my friends. i tried to give Agent Doggett a chance...but the show just wasn't the same.
Old January 16 2012, 04:16 PM   #29
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I really liked Doggett, Robert Patrick was great. Was rather indifferent about Reyes, though. And I thought Cary Elwes was way too slimy and too obviously corrupt.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I have always felt that The X-Files should have ended when Mulder left the show. It was always about Mulder's search for the truth, and if there was no Mulder, it should end.

The X-Files is the perfect example of a show sticking around too long.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote