Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 15 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
GemHaters
Captain

Where's All The X-Files Love?

No, I didn't search every page to make sure there wasn't already an X-Files topic, but if there is, the fact that it isn't being talked about on the first page is a travesty!

I mean, come on, y'all are talking about Twilight for God sake!!!

So, come on, who here loves The X-Files? Who's your favorite character? Favorite episode?
GemHaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 12:15 AM   #2
GemHaters
Captain

Re: Where's All The X-Files Love?

Last edited by GemHaters; January 16 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old January 16 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

I love the series; my favorite character is Skinner. There have been a few long-running review threads here over the years. I did one about five years ago. Starbreaker has one in progress that he updates every once and a while.

It's a shame the second film didn't do very much business. I would have very much liked to have seen a third film released this year (2012) to tie up the mythology. Oh well.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
GemHaters
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
I love the series; my favorite character is Skinner. There have been a few long-running review threads here over the years. I did one about five years ago. Starbreaker has one in progress that he updates every once and a while.

It's a shame the second film didn't do very much business. I would have very much liked to have seen a third film released this year (2012) to tie up the mythology. Oh well.
There must be a third film wrapping up the story. If not, what was the point of the entire show if we can't see the Alien Colonization?
Old January 16 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

Chris Carter and David Duchovny ended up suing Fox after the series wrapped due to the way they handled syndication rights (selling them off to FX at less than market value, to keep everything under the News Corp banner). That put a wrench into any immediate, post-series plans, unfortunately.

That was all resolved, as far as I know, by the time the second movie entered production, but by then the series was a distant memory and not the pop culture phenomenon it had been in the 1990s. (Having said that, I discovered the show during this period).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 12:57 AM   #6
GemHaters
Captain

but by then the series was a distant memory and not the pop culture phenomenon it had been in the 1990s. (Having said that, I discovered the show during this period).
I don't know. I have a hard time agreeing with that. Yes, the show lost a lot of it's hype as time went on, but I also think that the show started losing said hype in it's eighth season, when the show clearly started going downhill. (Though, I have to say that I'm one of the few people that actually liked the last season) I don't think that lack of interest had anything to do with the failure of the second movie. Didn't I Want To Believe go up against Terminator:Salvation? That might be your reason.....
Though, I've read that a lot of fans just didn't like the movie. And I really couldn't tell you why, because I thoroughly enjoyed it...Even though it was a tad weak.
Old January 16 2012, 01:02 AM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

Fans didn't like it because, after so many years without any new X-Files stuff, they wanted to see a movie about the alien mythology, not some random movie about Frankenstein and a child molester priest.

That said, I love the movie for the exploration of Mulder and Scully's characters; I loved seeing where they had come in the years since we last saw them, but I wanted to see more from the story.
Old January 16 2012, 01:27 AM   #8
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Fans didn't like it because, after so many years without any new X-Files stuff, they wanted to see a movie about the alien mythology, not some random movie about Frankenstein and a child molester priest.
Personally, I wanted to see the return of the legless Indian butt dwarf from Season 8, but alas, it was not to be.
Old January 16 2012, 03:50 AM   #9
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

GemHaters wrote: View Post
but by then the series was a distant memory and not the pop culture phenomenon it had been in the 1990s. (Having said that, I discovered the show during this period).
I don't know. I have a hard time agreeing with that. Yes, the show lost a lot of it's hype as time went on, but I also think that the show started losing said hype in it's eighth season, when the show clearly started going downhill. (Though, I have to say that I'm one of the few people that actually liked the last season) I don't think that lack of interest had anything to do with the failure of the second movie. Didn't I Want To Believe go up against Terminator:Salvation? That might be your reason.....
Though, I've read that a lot of fans just didn't like the movie. And I really couldn't tell you why, because I thoroughly enjoyed it...Even though it was a tad weak.
The show went downhill in second part of season 6 and then reached the low point in season 7. The only good episode of that season was the finale. The next two seasons were better (not that this is saying much) and went back to the classic darker feel of the show - which was a real refreshment after season 7's mostly lame lighthearted comedy - but the mythology had become such a convoluted mess by that point that there was no way to salvage the show.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 03:58 AM   #10
DWF
Vice Admiral

I fell in love the show on DVD and I thought it was a great series til the ninth season started then it lost it's magic to to speak. But I love Skinner and the CSM, but Skinner was one of those characters on TV that you don't mess with, which is what made him so great.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

As it happens, the wife and I just watched an episode tonight!
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:45 AM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
The show went downhill in second part of season 6 and then reached the low point in season 7. The only good episode of that season was the finale. The next two seasons were better (not that this is saying much) and went back to the classic darker feel of the show - which was a real refreshment after season 7's mostly lame lighthearted comedy - but the mythology had become such a convoluted mess by that point that there was no way to salvage the show.
On my recent rewatch of the series, the mythology didn't seem convoluted at all. I think being able to marathon the episodes helped a lot. After watching one episode per week for 9 years, a lot of the details of the mythology were forgotten, so the whole thing was confusing. Being able to watch the whole thing in a matter of months, I realized that everything (for the most part) actually made perfect sense.
Old January 16 2012, 04:48 AM   #13
JB2005
Commodore

I started watching this a few months ago, but stopped after about half a dozen episodes...it wasn't that the show didn't appeal to me, and when I watched it held my interest, but I didn't feel an "urge" to keep watching that I do with other shows!
Old January 16 2012, 04:49 AM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

JB2005 wrote: View Post
I started watching this a few months ago, but stopped after about half a dozen episodes...it wasn't that the show didn't appeal to me, and when I watched it held my interest, but I didn't feel an "urge" to keep watching that I do with other shows!
I find the first season to be kind of iffy; those early episodes haven't aged particularly well.
Old January 16 2012, 04:51 AM   #15
JB2005
Commodore

When they're not using a computer my disbelief suspends no problem!