Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 21 2012, 01:35 PM   #31
MarsWeeps
Commander

Re: Future Imperfect

Timo wrote: View Post
In 14 years, it's not difficult to imagine Data's programming changing to allow the use of contractions.
But Data has never had a problem with using contractions.
It's well established in the series that Data cannot use contractions, his programming doesn't allow it. It's stated in several episodes, even though there are times (at least one) that he uses a contraction and the editors didn't catch it.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 05:12 PM   #32
Timo
Admiral

Uh, completely untrue. There is no episode that would make the claim that Data cannot use contractions.

Instead,

1) In "Datalore", Lore's use of a non-contracted form and other stilted patterns of speech make Wesley think Lore is Data - and Lore reinforces this false conclusion by stating that "I do use language more formally than Lore". Nothing there about Data being unable to use contractions - not even when his worst nemesis is actually doing the claiming.

2) in "The Offspring", Data is impressed at Lal's effortless command of language, stating "You have used a contraction; it is a skill my program has never mastered". Considering that Data by that time has used contractions in virtually every episode, Data's standards of "mastery" simply appear overtly strict. Data also thinks he hasn't mastered sneezing, yet is quite capable of it.

In short, the "Data cannot use contractions" is a complete urban myth, a bit like "Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet". It's something that might be part of the character, but isn't, and never was.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 05:20 PM   #33
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Guys, can you all stop arguing with Sheldon please?
Old January 21 2012, 06:10 PM   #34
MarsWeeps
Commander

Uh, completely untrue. There is no episode that would make the claim that Data cannot use contractions.
I was pretty sure there were episodes that mentioned it but I'm too lazy to go try to dig them up.

But, like all Trek, one episode often contradicted another.
Old January 21 2012, 07:39 PM   #35
Timo
Admiral

...So, "Data cannot use contradictions" must be true because this is contradicted by not just a few, but (better still) all the episodes?

Timo Saloniemi
Old January 21 2012, 08:32 PM   #36
MarsWeeps
Commander

...So, "Data cannot use contradictions" must be true because this is contradicted by not just a few, but (better still) all the episodes?

Timo Saloniemi
Look...I'm just going by memory and from what I remember about the series, it was made known that Data couldn't use contractions (or wasn't supposed to be able to use them.) I thought it was kind of a stupid point anyway. Why would Riker bring it up in the episode if he thought Data could use contractions all the time?

Some of your posts are interesting but you seem to want everyone to accept that you are THE authority on all things Trek. Is that why you sign your name to each and every post, just to make sure people accept that "fact"?
Old January 21 2012, 08:35 PM   #37
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Is that why you sign your name to each and every post, just to make sure people accept that "fact"?
I'd always assumed it was a form of OCD.
Old January 21 2012, 10:01 PM   #38
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Photon wrote: View Post

Riker to picard...."shut, that close your mouth, stop talking" WIN
Shut up! As in close your mouth and stop talking!

I love that line
Old January 22 2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Sandoval wrote: View Post
MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Is that why you sign your name to each and every post, just to make sure people accept that "fact"?
I'd always assumed it was a form of OCD.
OK, OK, folks, try to avoid it becoming personal digs or it rapidly devolves into trollery.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Timo
Admiral

What is OCD?

No.

Also, "fact"? It's not one of the fuzzy areas, where Trek is silly fiction and can't really be right or wrong. It's a matter of quotes. You got it 100% wrong. I pointed out what the facts (irrelevant but still irrefutable) are, although anybody could have done that. Why do you find pride in the concept of being wrong and not caring? That's positively subhuman.

Sorry, should have rephrased.

Negatively subhuman.

Timo Saloniemi
Old January 22 2012, 05:16 PM   #41
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Barash looked like one of those Gray aliens we always hear about. I wonder if they intended to follow up on that.
Would have been nice, since those fellows were a subject of interest I was always into.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 07:10 PM   #42
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

For the sake of completeness, Data mentions contractions in two scenes of The Offspring. From http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/164.htm:

LAL: I've been programmed with a listing of fourteen hundred
GUINAN: I've?
DATA: You have used a verbal contraction.
GUINAN: You said I've instead of I have.
DATA: It is a skill my programme has never mastered.
LAL: Then I will desist.
DATA: No. You have exceeded my abilities. I do not object, but I do not understand how this has occurred.
and
HAFTEL: Her neural nets are laid down identically to yours?
DATA: There do seem to be some variations on the quantum level. She can use contractions. I cannot.
HAFTEL: An aberration. What have you done about this?
Old January 22 2012, 10:58 PM   #43
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ha, just put this one in last night. Still a very strong episode, although I can't help but wonder why there would be such a severe time lag when it was really Barash's advanced alien tech that was reading Riker's mind and not the Romulans. Especially when you consider all the other tiny details the simulation got right.

Even if Riker's memory WAS effected, you'd think the alien tech could at least improvise a few things and not be so transparently obvious.

Other observations I had:
--Wow, were those some ridiculous looking Romulan uniforms. They might have looked fairly intimidating on the viewscreen, but watching Tomalak walk around in that thing made it really hard to take him seriously.
--That was some VERY unconvincing gray they put in all the actors' hair. It's amazing to me that they couldn't have done a better job than that, and I imagine it'll only be more distracting in HD.
--Also a shame that such a great episode had to end with what looks like a kid wearing a bad Halloween costume. Would have been a much stronger ending if he remained looking like a regular kid, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 08:20 PM   #44
Worf'sParmach
Commander

One of my favorites as well. My only critism of it is that if Barash searched Riker's mind for a woman that was important enough to him that he would have married her, it seems like Troi woud have been the obvious choice. But, that would have ruined the twist so I'm okay with it
Old January 30 2012, 08:40 PM   #45
22 Stars
Commodore

HAFTEL: Her neural nets are laid down identically to yours?
DATA: There do seem to be some variations on the quantum level. She can use contractions. I cannot.
HAFTEL: An aberration. What have you done about this?

I think Timo or whatever its name is, just had a stroke
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote