A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 13 2012, 08:58 PM   #16
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Vanguard- to read or not to read?

^ It's okay, Christopher. He's entitled to his opinion. It doesn't hurt anyone to let him speak his mind. There's nothing to be gained by arguing with him. Tastes in entertainment are entirely subjective and not really subject to objective evaluation.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I've loved everything I've read of Vanguard.

I like the "new crew" books better overall than the TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT books because they have the sense of "anything can happen". No script/franchise immunity. Kill off a lead, blow up the ship, start a war...nothing is set in stone.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re the "nameless losers" quip (what's with the rude language, btw?), personally I greatly enjoy TrekLit that focusses on entirely new or pre-established but minor characters. SCE, Articles, A Stitch in Time (granted, calling Garak minor is stretching it), Gorkon, DTI or heck, a classic like The Final Reflection - love those, more please! It enriches the tapestry of the franchise so much IMHO, and I've grown to like many of these characters just as much as those on the shows.

In fact, it might be that in terms of the reading experience I enjoy casts of characters original to TrekLit more than adaptations of the show's casts. With the latter there is always this background thought process of comparing the characterization to the show with me (where the unchanging actors always ensure a certain level of perceived character continuity and create this strong imprint). When an author nails it it's awesome, but when it's off it can distract from what might otherwise still be a perfectly fine story. With original characters there is no such overt cross-media distraction, if that makes sense. The background scan doesn't happen despite varying authors; I accept continuity differences more readily as episodic.

I also really like the whole idea of a having a decently sized miniseries with the opportunity to well and truly bookend things, next to more serial lines like the aforementioned SCE (which I'd still love to see more of).

Last edited by Sho; January 13 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I first read Harbinger a few years back due to all the praise the series received. I thought it was okay, but not spectacular. I never continued with the series. Then, early this year, I picked it up again and gave it a re-read. Something must've clicked the second time around because I quite enjoyed it. I've been reading the rest of the series off and on throughout the year to get caught up. I really appreciate the complex characters, the on-going storyline, and the fact that I don't really know what is going to happen to these people.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 11:39 PM   #20
bfollowell
Commander

Christopher, remember what they say about not feeding the trolls.

He may honestly be voicing his opinion or he may just be trying to get a rise out of everyone.

To each his own, regardless of how crazy most of us may think that opinion is. Still, there's no reason for such blatant rudeness. Typically it's a sign of poor education, poor upbringing or both but there's no need to get into that here.

The main thing is, MOST of us absolutely love Vanguard and can't recommend it highly enough.

- Byron
Old January 13 2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

But anyway, answering the original question:

READ IT. Read it TWICE. It's completely made of awesome.
Old January 13 2012, 11:48 PM   #22
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander

View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Old January 14 2012, 12:46 AM   #23
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

It looks like I'm late to the party, but, YES, by all means, read the series! It's the best series out there. I hate to see it ending (but I understand and can appreciate why it is.)
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 12:50 AM   #24
Skywalker
Admiral

Vanguard is definitely on my "to read" list. I'm planning a big read-through of the "main continuity" Trek lit this year, and since I intend to read them in chronological order (I know they don't have to be read that way, it's just how I want to do it), I'll be getting to Vanguard sooner rather than later.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

bfollowell wrote: View Post
remember what they say about not feeding the trolls.

He may honestly be voicing his opinion or he may just be trying to get a rise out of everyone.

To each his own, regardless of how crazy most of us may think that opinion is. Still, there's no reason for such blatant rudeness. Typically it's a sign of poor education, poor upbringing or both but there's no need to get into that here.

The main thing is, MOST of us absolutely love Vanguard and can't recommend it highly enough.

- Byron
Yeah, it's hard to imagine that anyone genuinely has a negative reaction to Vanguard of that nature. As Jim Morrison said however, people are strange...
Old January 14 2012, 01:11 AM   #26
JD
Admiral

Definitely read it. Vanguard is one of the best Trek stories in any medium in the entire history of the franchise.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 01:16 AM   #27
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Sho wrote: View Post

I've been wanting someone to do TOS in a way that's informed by 24th century Trek, i.e. assume that's where the reader is hailing from and paint it as an alien and rawer period of history rather than go for an air of comforting nostalgia. And to exploit this for characterization - show how folks acted and thought differently when they could not take the achievements of later days for granted. It sounds like this might be what Vanguard is doing.
Meh, I prefer the TOS era federation which was more like a real government at times to the TNG (which I do still like but) who at times were naive idiot group who thinks everyone is a pacifist who would just love to co-exist with a group that likes to lord over them at times with their holier than thou attitude and I'm one of the people who grew up during the TNG-Ent run.

David Mack wrote: View Post
setting the stage for their collective/institutional evolution into the nobler incarnations we saw in TNG and beyond.
Doesn't the TNG era federation leave entire planets worth of people to die if they aren't warp capable, screw over their own colonists and then when the compromise they work out to at least let them keep their homes goes how you expect considering it left them as living in a fascist dictatorship who like to do very horrible things to the citizens of it and anyone they conquer get pissed about it, and don't get me started on Insurrection. not to mention how Starfleet has become a little more dogmatic about some federation policies

Not to mention that DS9 deconstructed a lot of TNG stuff.

How is this nobler than the TOS era?

Personally I wish the TOS federation would only change in being way less corrupt and were more responsible towards colonies they are suppost to protect like letting them know they live on a planet where space monsters might kill them.

Last edited by Hartzilla2007; January 14 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 12:26 AM   #28
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the OP: Vanguard is my second-favorite Trek series behind the DS9-R (Relaunch), even though I've only read up through Book 5 at this juncture because I have a hard time finding Trek books, especially the Vanguard ones (the Hastings that is close to where I live has a rather paltry selection of Trek Lit, and, last time I checked, didn't have Declassified or its follow-up), so I definitely think you ought to read it.

BTW, I personally think Vanguard is much more 'TOS meets Babylon 5' than it is 'TOS meets DS9', since it has a broadness of scope that is more akin to what JMS and Co. did with B5 than what was done on DS9 (and I LOVE DS9).

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 12:45 AM   #29
Sho
Fleet Captain

Not to go off on a tangent (and then proceed to do just that), but doesn't your bokstore do orders?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 01:50 AM   #30
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Not really, no. There's a Barnes and Noble in Layton, UT (I live in Ogden, which is about 20 minutes' drive away from the B&N store), but because I don't drive, it's hard to get out there. I've seen Declassified at the Hastings in the past, but the last time I was in there (which was in late November/early December), they didn't have it, nor did they have very many of the Trek lit books that came out in November and December of last year.

Anyawy, back to the topic at hand.

One of the things that I love most about Vanguard is that it combines all the best elements from the post-finale Trek Lit - as well as Titan, New Frontier, and some of the other 'novel-only' stories/series we've gotten over the last decade or so - and distills them into something that, as I mentioned, feels very B5-esque while still being completely grounded in the universe and tonal style that Gene Roddenberry originally created back in the 60s. Having appearances from familiar TOS-era characters in the early novels is actually a big help in this regard, because it kept things familiar enough while still allowing the series to tread new ground and expand the Trek universe in new ways.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote