Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old January 13 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Lange
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone know why Elite Force 2 is expensive and rare?

Hi all,

Saw the thread about the free download of Elite Force 1 and was pleased wanted the elite force games for some time now as i've never tried Trek video games(other than star trek online) and i wanted to start getting into the games that were classics when activision had the license back in the day so I read. Im a huge video gamer(Wii PC) combined with my love of video games should be awsome. I wanted to compliment 1 with elite force 2 but unfortunately I hit a hurdle with obtaining it.

However anyone know what is up with elite force 2 and why it cannot be found easily? i checked ebay and amazon and a disc of it is 40 bucks with elite force 1 being around 15 which isn't bad considering its not made anymore however no need on 1 since I got the download. Also checked steam and thats unfortunately a no go which is wierd as big as those classic trek games are you'd think steam would want to sell them.

If anyone has ideas on how to legally obtain elite force 2 without breaking the bank on it for a used disc please share.
Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Anyone know why Elite Force 2 is expensive and rare?

Free download of Elite Force 1? Where?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Scout101
Admiral

I gotta remember to check out what I've got for old discs. Know discs like this, the Armada discs, etc are selling for a ton, and I've got them collecting dust for the most part. Always forget to follow up and try and find/ebay them...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Elite force 2 and Starfleet command 3 both fell at the starting gates when Activision sued Viacom in 2003 for not exploiting the Trek franchise.......so although copies of both games made it into retailers hands once the law suit started all prodction of Trek games was stopped while the law suit continued........and it took until 2005 for it to be settled, but by then the whole Trek franchise was on life support.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Lange
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Elite force 2 and Starfleet command 3 both fell at the starting gates when Activision sued Viacom in 2003 for not exploiting the Trek franchise.......so although copies of both games made it into retailers hands once the law suit started all prodction of Trek games was stopped while the law suit continued........and it took until 2005 for it to be settled, but by then the whole Trek franchise was on life support.
Wait what was the specifics of this suit? I read that activisions license to Star Trek was terminated back then by had no idea why which is a huge shame as activision had really carried the license and made the best Star Trek games today outside of those they have been weak to mediocre, something has to be said that the first real solid Star Trek game since the activision ones is Star Trek Online in my opinion lol.

Also outside of elite force 2 i am finding that many of the old games like Armada, Starfleet Command, etc are also very expensive and rare and its a shame really because I want to try the old acitvision trek games because they were so good and never had the chance.

Free download of Elite Force 1 isn't working for me so likely I will buy the disc, thats the only one out of that batch that is cheap and reasonable.
Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
donners22
Commodore

Rather ironic really when Activision turned out some pretty miserable Trek games.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Lange wrote: View Post
Wait what was the specifics of this suit? I read that activisions license to Star Trek was terminated back then by had no idea why which is a huge shame as activision had really carried the license and made the best Star Trek games today outside of those they have been weak to mediocre, something has to be said that the first real solid Star Trek game since the activision ones is Star Trek Online in my opinion lol.

Also outside of elite force 2 i am finding that many of the old games like Armada, Starfleet Command, etc are also very expensive and rare and its a shame really because I want to try the old acitvision trek games because they were so good and never had the chance.

Free download of Elite Force 1 isn't working for me so likely I will buy the disc, thats the only one out of that batch that is cheap and reasonable.
Basically Activision sued Viacom for letting the Trek franchise go down the toilet pan, and becuase thay had done this the gaming rights licence Activision had paid for was dead in the water.........according to Activision.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Destructor
Commodore

Lange wrote: View Post

Basically Activision sued Viacom for letting the Trek franchise go down the toilet pan, and becuase thay had done this the gaming rights licence Activision had paid for was dead in the water.........according to Activision.
It's kind of hard to argue with them.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 06:01 AM   #9
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Ah yes, the lawsuit that ruined Trek gaming.

Bad times.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:30 AM   #10
Borjis
Commodore

^^and the Interplay Fiasco just prior....
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:32 AM   #11
JB2005
Commodore

donners22 wrote: View Post
Rather ironic really when Activision turned out some pretty miserable Trek games.
They were good when they were modded!
Old February 10 2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Woah Woah woah. So your telling me all those old activision games are worth something? The box next to my leg which has boxed copies of Elite Force, Elite Force Expansion, Elite Force 2, Armada, Armada 2, Starfleet Command 1 and 3 and Bridge Commander is worth more than my boxed ST Micro Machines Collectors Set 3?!
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stop there.

If you have an original copy of ST Armada 2, BEFORE e-baying it, go to www.fleetops.net and do a test run of that mod for STA2.

You may decide never to part with your original copy.

There is a thriving PvP community that play networked games on the tunngle VPN.
Darth Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 08:24 PM   #14
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Darth Thanatos wrote: View Post
Stop there.

If you have an original copy of ST Armada 2, BEFORE e-baying it, go to www.fleetops.net and do a test run of that mod for STA2.

You may decide never to part with your original copy.

There is a thriving PvP community that play networked games on the tunngle VPN.
^The only justification for why I still keep the A2 disk, and for A2s existence at all.

Old February 10 2012, 08:40 PM   #15
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Woah Woah woah. So your telling me all those old activision games are worth something?
Boot up Elite Force/Elite Force Expansion and take a stroll back in time...to Starbase 11 & the USS Star League.

Two of the finest gems from the Silver Age of Trek Gaming Mods.