Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Rings of Time.
Outstanding 27 34.18%
Above Average 34 43.04%
Average 11 13.92%
Below Average 7 8.86%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11 2012, 12:27 AM   #151
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: TOS: The Rings of Time by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Cool. It does sound like a fun read, so I do plan on checking it out eventually. Thanks.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 12:41 AM   #152
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Is this considered to be part of the current Pocket continuity (i.e. does it have any connections to books set before/after it, however minor), or is it pretty much just a completely standalone adventure with no ties at all to anything else?

It doesn't much matter to me either way, I'm just curious.

Shaun Christopher appeared briefly in my Eugenics Wars novels, and there's some (non-essential) callbacks to those books, but mostly it's a standalone TOS adventure.
Also there are brief, mutual allusions between The Rings of Time and my upcoming DTI: Forgotten History, which is a sequel/prequel to DTI: Watching the Clock, which is set within the main novel continuity. So Rings is peripherally linked to the main continuity, but again, is a mainly self-contained story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 03:58 AM   #153
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

I just finished this book. I rated it "outstanding"! I really liked the setting, that being during the 5 year mission. The story was really good, better than a typical episode which I viewed this as being. I actually liked the length, in a world of 500+ pages and cast of characters that requires a crib sheet this was refreshing.
If I had one wish it would be that there was a document of annotations offering nuggets of insight and references.
Regardless, thank you Greg!
Old April 13 2012, 07:59 PM   #154
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

I thought Rings of Time was a fun read. I must admit that I felt the 2020 portions were a much stronger narrative than the Kirk-era sections. To echo an earlier post, I would have enjoyed an entire book devoted to Shaun Christopher and the Saturn mission.

My favorite bits have to be the callbacks to the Eugenics War novels (which are not only my favorite works of Mr. Cox, but some of my favorite novels in all of Trek lit). I still hope to read about the further adventures of Gary Seven in some future Trek novel, preferably by Greg Cox or Lincoln Roberts.

I look forward to reading more Trek fiction from Mr. Cox in the near future. Cheers.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:18 AM   #155
garoo1980
Lieutenant Commander

Almost done this so I really shouldn't be reading this thread

Totally awesome, IMHO. My kind of read. I find myself really caring about the other story as much as the Trek which is pretty impressive I think. Fine work Mr. Cox
garoo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 02:49 PM   #156
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Finished the book last night – it was a fun read, filled with enough continuity references to both general Trek lore and Cox's other works (which are some of my favorites), to make this TrekLit reader quite happy.
Old May 30 2012, 02:02 AM   #157
kirk55555
Commodore

I just finished Rings of Time, and I really liked it. The story was very interesting, and actually made me care for the 21st centry storyline. I'm usually not a fan of any Trek stories that are set in or time travel too far in the past, but this was a good book. I really liked Qat being written as a Q in everything but name. It was a cool way to get a Q into a book set in TOS.

Also, since she seemed to be spending so much time with humans (several months or even years on the colony, a good amount of time on earth) maybe her enjoyment of humans led her back to earth in the 24th centry, and she was one of the two Q who took human form and gave birth to Amanda Rogers.

That's just me trying to make it fit in with the TV show more. I don't think Amanda's parents have ever been mentioned in any story (actually, besides brief mentions, I don't think Amanda Rogers has even shown up in any stories outside the episode she appeared in), so its possible. That might be an interesting story. While True Q is my least favorite Q episode (its not bad, just my least favorite), it would be interesting to see Amanda Rogers play some part in a Q story someday.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 05:58 AM   #158
JD
Admiral

Was she in any of the Q flashbacks in Q&A?
Old May 30 2012, 09:43 PM   #159
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

I loved The Rings of Time. It was a fun, exciting story and Greg Cox made the characters ring true. I think this may be the first Greg Cox book I have read. I keep meaning to read the Khan books. I am more interested in reading those now that I know he has the stuff. Good work Mr. Cox!
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 07:13 PM   #160
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BrentMc wrote: View Post
I loved The Rings of Time. It was a fun, exciting story and Greg Cox made the characters ring true. I think this may be the first Greg Cox book I have read. I keep meaning to read the Khan books. I am more interested in reading those now that I know he has the stuff. Good work Mr. Cox!
Thanks!
Old December 10 2013, 01:01 AM   #161
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Sorry for bumping this thread but this may be of interest especially to Mr. Cox :
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/...235111821.html
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:08 AM   #162
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread but this may be of interest especially to Mr. Cox :
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/...235111821.html
I saw that! Wow!

(For the uninitiated,the hexagon in questions figures significantly into the plot my book.)
Old March 8 2014, 04:27 AM   #163
ClayinCA
Commodore

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I finished this book today (I've been on something of a Greg Cox tear lately, having also just read The Weight of Worlds and No Time Like The Past) and really enjoyed it. The interpersonal relationships between the Lewis and Clark crew were a lot of fun, and the Enterprise crew were their familiar selves. I particularly liked Spock realizing that his lack of empathy could be a liability in certain command situations.

Another great job, Greg--looking forward to your next book!
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 05:24 AM   #164
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I finished this book today (I've been on something of a Greg Cox tear lately, having also just read The Weight of Worlds and No Time Like The Past) and really enjoyed it. The interpersonal relationships between the Lewis and Clark crew were a lot of fun, and the Enterprise crew were their familiar selves. I particularly liked Spock realizing that his lack of empathy could be a liability in certain command situations.

Another great job, Greg--looking forward to your next book!
Thanks. I'm plugging away at it now!
Old March 8 2014, 11:12 PM   #165
trampledamage
Clone

Small mod note - resurrecting an old review thread because you've just read the book is never a problem. Feel free

Trek books are forever and so are their review threads

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote