Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 11 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
pets on star ships?

it's pretty common knowledge that Data had his pet cat Spot aboard the Enterprise D, and logically E afterwards...

We also know Archer had his pet beagle... can't remember the name of the dog off my heart...

So i was just wondering, how common do people think it actually is for a crewmember to have a pet aboard a starship or space station?

In ships like the Galaxy Class ships, where families are welcome aboard, is it a leap to say the might have had a vet's area aboard, like the had a hairdressers and such?

just wondering really

M
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

Re: pets on star ships?

I seem to remember a line in TNG somewhere, saying that there were about 12 cats on board the Enterprise. (or maybe it was 12 male cats?)
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

Sulu kept pet plants...

...And the whole idea of a starship having an arboretum seems to be in line with the keeping of pets. It's not as if the trees there could serve any scientific or engineering purpose, not the way the arboretum is portrayed in TOS or TNG. It's purely for pleasure and mental health, like pets. Or families.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

It's bound to be limited up to a certain point, possibly even a perk for senior officers.

There were over a thousand people onboard the Enterprise-D, imagine if every one of those chose to bring a Great Dane onboard as their pet. It's madness I tell you. Madness!
Old January 11 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

hmm, 12 cats on board a Galaxy class... considering the amount of families on board, thats a pretty realistic number...

i agree it might be senior staff only... or something you have to 'apply for' with the Captain... sort of 'at his discretion' thing

M
Old January 11 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Enterprise's Doctor Phlox had lots of animals in his sickbay, including bats, lizards and even tribbles (which were used as food for the larger ones!)
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Methos

heh, i'd forgotten about Phlox... haven't watched Enterprise in ages actually... might have to dig the DVd's out

M
Old January 11 2012, 04:38 PM   #8
The_Baron
Commander

I'll tell you this for nothin'. You wouldn't want MY cat on a starship. She'd be chewing trough ODN relays and clawing her way through the outer hull before you knew what hit you...
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 07:12 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

In The Child, Deanna's son spoke of a litter of puppies being in the class room. When Uhura brough her tribble on board the Enterprise, no one (initally) though there was anything wrong with doing so.

And there's Picard's fish.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 07:41 PM   #10
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Chief O'Brien also had a pet spider on the Enterprise (but possibly not on DS9 as it was never mentioned).

And it looked like Klingons could have pets too since Kruge had a "whatever" on his ship.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

ToddKent wrote: View Post
And it looked like Klingons could have pets too since Kruge had a "whatever" on his ship.
Targ.
Old January 11 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I've never owned a cat, but don't they like to "go out" as it were. Its not like you could really just open the door to your quarters and let your cat go running around the Enterprise.
I know there are "house cats" who never leave the house, my auntie had cats like that, well, in that she didn't let them leave the house. To me that seemed pretty cruel.

Same for a dog. I suppose you could take it to the holodeck for a good runaround, but I always got the impression holodeck time was fairly limited to the number they had compared to the number of people on the ship. Like you'd have to book your time in advance kinda thing.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Methos

i have two 'housecats' really... they're allowed outside, i have a catflap for them, they just don't... i found it really odd at first, but they're both happy inside...

some cats are just like that lol

M
Old January 11 2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Nothing compares to the one scene in the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure when the bridge is invaded by a horde of poodles.

True, they were part of a travelling circus troupe, but still.
Old January 11 2012, 10:11 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Don't forget the flying horse at the end!
Sandoval wrote: View Post
ToddKent wrote: View Post
Targ.
Targs resemble boars. Kruge's pet was totally different.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote