RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,672
Members: 24,198
Currently online: 631
Newest member: Bradmark

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 21 2012, 04:21 PM   #526
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: My homebrew kitbashes

Ok, I'd promised myself that I was taking an extended break, but this wouldn't leave me alone. I AM taking one after this for at least a week, so don't expect anything new after this until at least then...

By rights, the Constitution II-class starship should be referred to as the Republic class, just as the original Constitution class rightly should be known as the Enterprise class, after the first hulls flown in those configurations.

By late 2264, the ASDB had completed the design specifications for what was informally being referred to in Yard circles as the "Phase II" SLEP of the venerable Constitutions. New technologies, including major advancements in warp drive design, phasers, sensors and shields promised to make the heavy cruisers even more capable and reliable than they already were, and to ensure the dominance of the design for another two decades at a minimum.

This was considered highly desirable due to continuing difficulties with the Great Experiment, also known as the Excelsior class, which had originally been intended to succeed the Constitutions as the premiere Class I starship starting in the last half of the 2260s. Those intentions were quashed by ongoing problems with the cutting-edge FTW-1 transwarp drive system, which simply refused to perform in actuality in the manner the math indicated it should in theory.

Thus it was that nearly twenty years after the commissioning of Enterprise, the starship Republic (NCC-1371) was ordered to report to Utopia Planetia Starfleet Yards to undergo a partial refit to serve as testbed for the new systems. She put into Dock 47 in early April, 2263, and spent the next eleven months undergoing significant structural changes to allow the placement of the hardware test articles for the new design. Returning to service in mid-May of the following year, Republic would spend the next three years undergoing extensive testing.

The new configuration was a mixed success. While the new systems never truly failed, each had it's own unique "quirks" that prevented the total package from functioning as smoothly as the design team had hoped. The Vickers FWG/LN-60 warp drive proved particularly troublesome in operation, with a tendency to destabilize the warp field at inopportune moments which on two different occasions nearly resulted in the formation of a wormhole which could have destroyed the ship.

By May, 2268, it was becoming clear that there would have to be significant changes made to the design if the original goals were to be met. By fortuitous happenstance, the starship Enterprise (NCC-1701) was just finishing a five-year tour of duty. The ASDB immediately put in for the services of Lt Commander Montgomery Scott, Enterprise's Chief Engineer. "Scotty", as he preferred to be known informally was widely considered the foremost expert on the Constitution class in operation, and it was felt that he, if anyone, could tell them where they had gone wrong.

Convincing Scott to join the program took some doing, as he expressed a definite preference to remain attached to Enterprise to oversee her post-mission analysis and overhaul. His cooperation was eventually obtained by scheduling Enterprise as the next ship to be upgraded to the new configuration, provided the design problems could be worked out.

With Scotty now on the team, work resumed and for the next eleven months every effort was made to tweak the existing plans into a form that would be operationally sound. However, as that time passed, Scotty became convinced that significant parts of the design would have to be majorly reworked if they were to have any chance of success at all.

It took many hours of arguing with the heads of the ASDB, but Scotty prevailed in the end and threw himself into the work. For eighteen months he labored to perfect the configuration and to refit Enterprise to the new standard.

The end result saw further changes to the warp engines, including an entirely new impulse configuration that saw main impulse power being drawn directly from the M/AMRC in the secondary hull, an entirely new photon torpedo complex being installed, and significant changes to the entire outer hull of the ship.

In 2271, the Enterprise, still weeks away from being ready for her trials, was pressed into service to resolve the V'ger Crisis. Despite a recurrence of the warp field imbalance issue despite the upgrade to the LN-64 nacelle configuration, the ship proved to be very sound structurally and in terms of systems integrity.

Plans for any additional refits to the P2 configuration were therefore abandoned, and all remaining ships would instead be upgraded to the Enterprise standard.

By mid 2276, it was clear that the majority of the remaining issues with the design had been addressed, aside from a weakness in the phaser systems (which drew their primary power straight from the warp engine, and would be cut off in the event it went off line). With the Excelsior still obstinately refusing to perform, it became clear that the Constitutions would remain the primary Class I starship for the foreseeable future.*

As a result, it was decided to partially upgrade the Republic with systems from the Enterprise program for use as a training vessel. A half-year of upgrading, including replacing both warp and impulse engines, the entire A-C deck saucer superstructure, phaser upgrades and the installation of a single torpedo launcher at the new secondary hull location saw Republic ready to fly.

* Excelsior would continue to cause ulcers for the ASDB until 2288, when Starfleet finally shelved the transwarp concept and installed conventional warp systems. Surprisingly, this seemed to solve most of the issues that had plagued the project for over 2 decades, and ships of that class have become the new "Queens of the Fleet" with the general retirement of the Constitution class...

---Commodore Alan Donovan, Starfleet Corps of Engineers/ASDB 2296
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 05:12 PM   #527
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Cool Write up and design
Old July 21 2012, 09:06 PM   #528
publiusr
Commodore

On the Paladin, everything just works. The parts just look like they were meant to be together. One thing you might try. Do a stock Excelsior with the Excelsior parts, but use Paladins nacelle supports instead. I've actually not seen a stock Excelsior with those parts.

Those Paladin supports, The Valhalla saucer atop the Yamamoto's neck on the Prometheus body might look interesting.

The Republic is just divine. You have done more with different impulse layouts than anyone else did with Jaynes type designs. Very fresh.

Any aft views?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 10:50 PM   #529
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

I absolutely love the Hokkaido, Charlemagne, and Chevalier... the Hokkaido I can totally see as a ship built during the Soyuz/Constellation-era, and the Charlemagne and Chevalier look very much like they fit right in with the SotSF designs.
NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 03:06 AM   #530
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I'm breaking my self-imposed post moratorium for this one project (since it wouldn't leave me alone anyways). I'm only posting the write up and the final image here, as opposed to my usual progression of changes.

The Constitution-class shipbuilding program died as it lived, fighting for every last moment in the sun and a chance to make new contributions to the knowledge and the security of the Federation.

By 2290, it had become apparent that the design was fast approaching the technological wall. Major strides forward were being made in both hull engineering and ship's systems with every passing month. The promising results that were starting to be generated by the Excelsior prototype (having abandoned transwarp drive in favor of more conventional engine technology), and even more exciting prospects on the drafting computers at the ASDB made it abundantly clear that the Constitution program was simply nearing the end of it's technological usefulness.

That did not sit well with some officers, however, both in field service and in the Corps of Engineers. To them, the Constitutions had become more than just ships in the Fleet; they were the Fleet. For over 40 years Constitutions had led the way during the Great Leap Outwards. They anchored Starfleet's battle lines during the Four Years War, rode herd on the re-emergent Romulan Empire, patrolled the spacelanes against Orion pirate incursions, and generally served as the face of the Federation to both far-flung colonies and foreign powers alike.

Now, in the apparent twilight of their service lives, more than a few were simply not ready to give up on the "Great Grey Ladies" and their noble legacy. In response to a staggering volume of requests from the fleet rank and file, the ASDB agreed to authorize a new SLEP proposal that might see the class remain in service for the next 40 years.

The proposal was put to the Federation Council in 2291, debated for several months, then authorized for a single ship only with the option to extend the program if the results warranted doing so.

The decision was made to use the Constitution herself as the testbed as she was the oldest example of the type still in service. Put into Spacedock and carefully examined, the determination was made that it might just be possible to again salvage the "core" of the ship, and rebuild the rest to new specifications.

The "spine" of the hull strongback through the centerline of the secondary hull, the interconnecting dorsal, and through the heart of the saucer was retained. Both hulls would see extensive reworking, the saucer to the expanded Mark 13-C configuration, and the secondary hull to a new configuration utilizing elements of the abandoned Galaxy-class. The result was an increase in internal volume of both hulls while reorganizing interior spaces to accommodate updated major systems as well as to address other perceived shortcomings in compartment layout.

Improvements were made to the M/AMRC assembly and impulse engines. The warp nacelles were changed from the LN series to the ACE-X-5-B, and improvements were made in both sensors and weapons (including finally providing a power reserve for the phaser systems).

The work took approximately 20 months, with Constitution ready to return to service in the first quarter of 2293. However, events outside the Federation's control would soon overtake the refit program. The explosion of Praxis and the subsequent collapse of the Klingon Empire led to the signing of the First Khitomer Accords.

The resulting treaty demands for reductions in force for Starfleet made the Constitution proposal untenable. The Federation Council decided it would be better to use available fleet deployment slots for the larger and more capable Excelsiors.

The Constitution herself would serve another two years as a technology testbed and training vessel (alongside the Republic) before being decommissioned and scrapped.

However, it seems as if Fate, would not let the legacy of the Constitution class die, however, and significant parts of the final SLEP would later be incorporated into the design of Lexington-class cruiser, which first saw service in the last half of the Dominion War.

"Like a Phoenix from the Ashes", Jane's Starship Review, 2388 edition
Old July 29 2012, 06:15 AM   #531
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Awesome stuff there
Old July 31 2012, 03:41 PM   #532
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Still not doing any new ships, but I was playing with some of my schematics and these came out. Playing a little with "overlays":

Constitution 2271 vs 2291

2285 Galaxy vs Constitution 2271
Old July 31 2012, 04:48 PM   #533
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Awesome
Old August 3 2012, 06:00 AM   #534
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Not the start of a new post "wave", just the result of a dvd-a-thon and some inspiration.

Presenting the USS Andromeda Ascendant

*Image updated to correct credit error.

Everybody reading this, learn from it and document where you scrounge your parts from when you scrounge them.

Last edited by Ian Keldon; August 4 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old August 3 2012, 11:52 AM   #535
Ziz
Commodore

Kaiser wrote: View Post
Good ships
Good stuff
Looks good
Epic ship
Very Cool ship there
Cool design
Awesome stuff there
I decided to save Kaiser the trouble of figuring out another variation on his typical response.
Old August 3 2012, 04:09 PM   #536
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Cool Battlecruiser there
Old August 3 2012, 04:10 PM   #537
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Ziz wrote: View Post
Good ships
Good stuff

Cool design
Awesome stuff there
I decided to save Kaiser the trouble of figuring out another variation on his typical response.
Well Excuse me for likeing short responses
Old August 4 2012, 01:19 AM   #538
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

See the Andromeda post above for important update and lesson to us all.
Old August 4 2012, 05:39 AM   #539
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
See the Andromeda post above for important update and lesson to us all.
Will do i usually keep my parts in seperate folders
Old August 4 2012, 02:22 PM   #540
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I wish I had been more organized...well, I think this time I have it fixed. Every ship in my "harvest" file has been checked against the work JA has posted at Sub-Odeon and properly labeled.