New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 14 2012, 06:44 PM   #301
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile
Re: My homebrew kitbashes

Love the Galaxy, the only weird view is the Front view. just seems off. but that happens with alot of ships you get a view that looks a little weird in the Orthos. The other views are sweet.

The Medical ship is very well done.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 08:39 PM   #302
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

^I've noticed that...a lot of starships have at least one "bad" ortho angle...the Excelsior-class is another such from the bow.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 08:49 PM   #303
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
^I've noticed that...a lot of starships have at least one "bad" ortho angle...the Excelsior-class is another such from the bow.
With Titan unfortunately it is in my opinion the side view.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 02:41 PM   #304
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

She's back again...USS Galaxy, now with 95% original parts

Old April 16 2012, 05:52 PM   #305
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Awesome design
Old April 17 2012, 02:59 PM   #306
Albertese
Commodore

I think this Galaxy idea is only improving! With each iteration, it looks even better.

If I may suggest:

1) The deflector dish area seems to screw with the visual flow of the overall design... maybe draw it into the hull halfway, so only the lower half of the dish area is visible from the side? Or else leave it sticking out but alter the lower profile of it to more cleanly transition into the lower lines of the ship? It just looks weird to me the way it is now.

2) You can really sell the scale of this thing by scaling down the actual bridge dome. If it were the same as on the Connie-refit next to it, we'd be able to just look at it and say "whoa, that's a big ship!" Right now, without the context of the other ship next to it, there's nothing to really suggest the size of this thing.

Food for thought!

--Alex
Old April 17 2012, 03:02 PM   #307
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

My one suggestion would be do re-draw portions of the secondary hull so that it doesn't look as if it was stretched out by PhotoShop. It should have the same line density that you're using for other parts of the ship. It's especially noticeable on the top view, where the lines are extremely blurry, whereas the primary hull and nacelle lines are quite crisp. Other than that, I'm really liking this design.
Old April 17 2012, 04:34 PM   #308
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
My one suggestion would be do re-draw portions of the secondary hull so that it doesn't look as if it was stretched out by PhotoShop. It should have the same line density that you're using for other parts of the ship. It's especially noticeable on the top view, where the lines are extremely blurry, whereas the primary hull and nacelle lines are quite crisp. Other than that, I'm really liking this design.
Ugh...I might at some point. It was enough of a PitA to do the first one though...I might be able to shortcut things by doing a layer trace at some point.
Old April 17 2012, 04:47 PM   #309
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Albertese wrote: View Post
I think this Galaxy idea is only improving! With each iteration, it looks even better.

If I may suggest:

1) The deflector dish area seems to screw with the visual flow of the overall design... maybe draw it into the hull halfway, so only the lower half of the dish area is visible from the side? Or else leave it sticking out but alter the lower profile of it to more cleanly transition into the lower lines of the ship? It just looks weird to me the way it is now.

2) You can really sell the scale of this thing by scaling down the actual bridge dome. If it were the same as on the Connie-refit next to it, we'd be able to just look at it and say "whoa, that's a big ship!" Right now, without the context of the other ship next to it, there's nothing to really suggest the size of this thing.

Food for thought!

--Alex
I might pull the deflector back just a tad.

The bridges are supposed to be in scale with each other, and are within about 3% by my calculations...I "fixed" the scaling, but it's barely noticable. She isn't supposed to be the size of the 24th century Galaxy, she's supposed to fall in between Connies and Excelsiors.

By my calculations (using the dimensions of a Connie as reference), shes: 377m x 156.25m x 62.5m in this incarnation.
Old April 17 2012, 04:52 PM   #310
anh165
Commander

I dont think it needs any further refinements, the flaws and imperfections of ambitious prototype ships makes them interesting to look at and is sort of amusingly dangerous.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 05:47 PM   #311
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Ok, took the advice and redid the line work on the dorsal view. Still have to do a "full size" of the larger version, but it's no longer a blow up of a blow up of a low rez origina, and looks better.

I also went ahead and gave the 2ndary hull a "nose job" as suggested.

Old April 17 2012, 09:17 PM   #312
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Looks good
Old April 17 2012, 10:12 PM   #313
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Definitely a massive improvement on the line quality.
Old April 18 2012, 03:01 AM   #314
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Ok, last and final edit...fixed profile and dorsal views. There isn't enough distortion on the bow view for me to bother going in and hand-correct it, which I'd have to do pixel by pixel.

I will admit the lines on the other two views cleaned up pretty good.

Old April 18 2012, 03:09 AM   #315
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Now thats a Pretty ship

is there a loose version of those new nacelles on this and the Cerberus class?