Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 18 2012, 08:47 PM   #256
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: My homebrew kitbashes

KNH wrote: View Post
The Spartan looks like an in-universe descendant of ptrope's Crossbow
Beat me to it, dude.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:03 AM   #257
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

You will not find the ships of the Eternal Vigilance class on any fleet roster. You will not find their construction contracts in any shipyard database. You will never see one, even if you encounter one. If you were to by some happenstance catch a glimpse of one, you would be well served never to speak of it.

Ships of the Eternal Vigilance class have been constructed and are operated exclusively by crews belonging to Starfleet Intelligence. They are the stealthiest starships in the fleet, virtually undetectable at medium to long range even though they conform to the various treaties between the Federation and Romulus that forbid Federation ships from using cloaking technology.

Every aspect of their construction facilitates their ability to pass unseen, from their tightly controlled warp signatures to the sensor-absorbent plating on their hulls. Any potentially energy emitting source onboard is either baffled or otherwise shielded to minimize those emissions. Even the warp nacelle flux chiller grills have armored baffles that can be slid into place to prevent their characteristic blue glow from being seen while in operation, though the panels do hinder operational efficiency by a factor of ~15%.

SI uses these ships for surveillance and covert insertion operations, typically in areas on the fringes of or outside of the Federation proper.

Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:07 AM   #258
YARN
Fleet Captain

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
You will not find the ships of the Eternal Vigilance class on any fleet roster. You will not find their construction contracts in any shipyard database. You will never see one, even if you encounter one. If you were to by some happenstance catch a glimpse of one, you would be well served never to speak of it.

Ships of the Eternal Vigilance class have been constructed and are operated exclusively by crews belonging to Starfleet Intelligence. They are the stealthiest starships in the fleet, virtually undetectable at medium to long range even though they conform to the various treaties between the Federation and Romulus that forbid Federation ships from using cloaking technology.

Every aspect of their construction facilitates their ability to pass unseen, from their tightly controlled warp signatures to the sensor-absorbent plating on their hulls. Any potentially energy emitting source onboard is either baffled or otherwise shielded to minimize those emissions. Even the warp nacelle flux chiller grills have armored baffles that can be slid into place to prevent their characteristic blue glow from being seen while in operation, though the panels do hinder operational efficiency by a factor of ~15%.

SI uses these ships for surveillance and covert insertion operations, typically in areas on the fringes of or outside of the Federation proper.

So it's black because it's supposed to be stealthy?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:46 AM   #259
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ The thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is black.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:54 AM   #260
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Yarn: yes, it is coated in a non-reflective or "matte" black color as part of it's "steathing".
Old March 19 2012, 01:54 AM   #261
Knight Templar
Commodore

The Spartan impresses me as well. Deadly yet elegant and a really fine name.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 02:05 AM   #262
YARN
Fleet Captain

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ The thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is black.
I guess we have to hope those oversized nacelle caps don't give anything away then...

I suppose the window on the primary hull have permanently closed drapes?

At any rate, if you are tracking ships that travel faster than light with light sensors, you're pretty much in the wrong century.

It seems odd that if you ever see this ship you'd better keep you're mouth shut. Starfleet has no qualms about making its own people disappear, but is rather prissy about cloaking devices? I mean, why go to the trouble of having the Enterprise steal a cloaking device if you never plan to use one?

EDIT: The lines look pretty good. I am just not sure about the paint job. I take it that's some sort of spy-pod under the ship?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 02:58 AM   #263
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

YARN wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I guess we have to hope those oversized nacelle caps don't give anything away then...
They too can be covered up if need be. The ship can operate for a considerable time w/o needing to use the bussards. The ship carries a fuel supply from launch, the gathered hydrogen from interstellar space only extends the supply (and not necessarily by that much).

I suppose the window on the primary hull have permanently closed drapes?
IF there were windows at all they'd have blackout shutters, yes.

At any rate, if you are tracking ships that travel faster than light with light sensors, you're pretty much in the wrong century.
It's the "uncovered" little details that can trip you up. Such a ship as this could "hold station", shut down the engines, and go to passive sensors and STILL be seen via reflected light at close range, or by light from portholes and windows if it weren't "blacked out"

It seems odd that if you ever see this ship you'd better keep you're mouth shut. Starfleet has no qualms about making its own people disappear,
Even Starfleet has it's military aspects. They might be less willing to go the covert ops route than, say, the modern US, but it's an option any realistic government would retain.

but is rather prissy about cloaking devices? I mean, why go to the trouble of having the Enterprise steal a cloaking device if you never plan to use one?
To learn how to defeat it.

I take it that's some sort of spy-pod under the ship?
Sensor pod, yes. I've used the same pod on other ships, but presumedly the Vigilances would have the absolute most cutting edge sensors IN their pods.
Old March 19 2012, 02:59 AM   #264
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

your new Recon ship is....AWESOME!!!
Old March 19 2012, 10:28 PM   #265
publiusr
Commodore

Love that Valhalla (best use of this saucer http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...=DNsaucer2.png

I think Canis D did these drawings BTW...

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
The "extended" hull I used for several classes actually belonged to someone else.

My apologies to JAFisher44 over at Sub Odeon.

IIRC, the book never really mentioned anything other than the class, name and mission. No description.

So my design is as good as any, IMO...and it's not all that much bigger than a Connie.
I see. JAFisher's hull and that (Canis D?) saucer look really nice together.

By the by, the Carnegie reminds me of another trek novel ship--the mile long defender that was made of multiple hulls? Carnegie is the only ship with a lot of hulls that keeps that Jeffies era flow...

Last edited by publiusr; March 19 2012 at 10:59 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 01:09 AM   #266
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the heads up on credits...I'll try to get those fixed or updated as I can.

I see. JAFisher's hull and that (Canis D?) saucer look really nice together.
Technical note on credits: JAFisher's hull is the one on the Hubble/Roberts/York ships. I used Canis D's saucer on the Valhalla refit which otherwise consists of Vance parts or parts I "bashed" out of Vance parts (the nacelles).
Old March 20 2012, 02:38 AM   #267
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

In Shatner's The Return, they used a black Defiant class. I can't remember what the exact deal was with it, but it involved stealth I'm sure.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2012, 08:46 PM   #268
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

This wouldn't leave me alone until I did it.

Ballard-class refit
Old March 21 2012, 10:03 PM   #269
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Good Refit
Old March 24 2012, 09:18 PM   #270
publiusr
Commodore

You might want to place the Valhalla's two different type of super saucers side by side and enlarge one. The first looks like an ever so slightly thicker refit, while the second looks more Ariel sized judging from the bridge. Lining the bridges up and having a side by side might be interesting to see how they would fit on the secondary hull.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote