Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 7 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
WIP: U.S.S. Bozeman revisited--aka Unused TSFS Ship Design.

I confess, I've always hated the Soyuz-class we saw in TNG's "Cause and Effect," being as it was a cheap redress of the Reliant, only with ugly crap stuck all over it and a bigass shuttlebay poking out the back.

At the same time, I've also been intrigued by some of the unused ship designs from Star Trek III, especially one of Neil Rodis's paintings of a ship in spacedock. Intriguingly, the TSFS ship and the Soyuz seem to have a lot in common--the TSFS ship clearly owes a lot to the Miranda-class , and like the Soyuz-class, it has a big shuttlebay pod hanging off the back. Only it's not, you know, so hideous as to make your eyes bleed.

Since I'd wanted to build a model of Rodis's design for a while now, I'm working on a new U.S.S. Bozeman, as we could one day see in TNG-R (if we're lucky and they even do a TNG Remastered...)

Progress so far:

This a basic (very, very basic) study model, focusing on getting the shapes and proportions right. It's very low-poly so I could easily adjust the shapes to better match the concept art. It's not perfect, I think because some of the perspective in the painting is wonky, but I think it's good enough to establish the basic look of the ship.

I'd like to try and recreate this whole shot, with the spacedock and everything so I can do a fly-through. If I'm really ambitious, I might even get a Galaxy-class mesh and crash the two into each other.
Old September 7 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: WIP: U.S.S. Bozeman revisited--aka Unused TSFS Ship Design.

I had a go at doing some 2D plans for this a while back...never did finish it though.
I had trouble picturing what the secondary hull was supposed to look like...at least in a way that didn't make the while thing look like a big insole from above.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2008, 03:08 PM   #3
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

While I don't have the same degree of heartburn over the original Bozeman,this looks to be a great design - I look forward to how you develop it further!
Old September 7 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Gep. do you have a link to some of those unused designs? I'd like to take a look at them. OH, and nice job, I don't know if I will ever be able to build something that way.
Old September 8 2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

sojourner wrote: View Post
Gep. do you have a link to some of those unused designs? I'd like to take a look at them.
Unfortunately not. The image I'm using came from the December 2002 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, where they were hyping the DVD release of TSFS. I haven't been able to fund any of them online; for all I know, the magazine may have been the only place they were published.

I got a good start on the real mesh last night and today. Some of the details have been tricky to work out; since the painting was pretty clearly not intended to show a ship that would ever be built, some of the geometry seems to be impossible in 3D, so I've had to go with the best approximations I can.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I must have gone through three or four versions of the impulse engine block before I settled on one that I was happy with.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I am pleased with the nacelles, which have come along smoothly, barring a dead end I embarked on when I tried to build some detail into the control cage that would be more wisely added after I freeze the mesh.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Speaking of the impulse engines, however, I'm starting to think I'm going to have to turn the impulse exhausts into something else, like cargo doors or something, because they are just too damn huge. They look cool, but they're far too inconsistent with every other impulse engine scale we've ever seen before. If anyone has any good ideas about fixing them, I'd love to hear it.

Reverend wrote: View Post
I had a go at doing some 2D plans for this a while back...never did finish it though.
I had trouble picturing what the secondary hull was supposed to look like...at least in a way that didn't make the while thing look like a big insole from above.
I would say "flatiron" from above. It turns out to not be a very pretty ship at all from upper and lower angles; it seems to want the camera to stay around the midsection. I rendered a set of orthographic images and I'd be interested to hear how they compare with what you'd worked up.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by Gep Malakai; September 8 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Great Work, Gep. Amazing job.

I like the look of her.

Are you going to go with a navigational deflector? Looks like there is room for an NX type one at the front of the secondry hull. That said, the Oberth and Miranda didn't have them. What about putting torpedo launchers were the Impulse engines should be. Keep the impulse engines within the two vertical centre pieces, and you can get four torpedo launchers in there. Two either side!!!

You also have to wonder how they get from the saucer to the secondry hull.

Great work though.

Old September 8 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

jon1701 wrote: View Post
Are you going to go with a navigational deflector? Looks like there is room for an NX type one at the front of the secondry hull. That said, the Oberth and Miranda didn't have them.
There's enough height on the secondary hull that I think a small dish with torpedo launchers flanking it would fit in there, so my rough plan was to try and see about fitting it in there. I'm not a fan of the NX-class arrangement, so I don't see myself using that. If a dish in the secondary hull doesn't work out I'm just going to leave it off.

What about putting torpedo launchers were the Impulse engines should be. Keep the impulse engines within the two vertical centre pieces, and you can get four torpedo launchers in there. Two either side!!!
Maybe, but that seems like overkill for rear-facing launchers. Are they really expecting to get attacked from behind that often?

The Oberth has the same problem.

Great work though.

Glad you like.
Old September 8 2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Those pylons are a lot thicker then those on an Oberth so a turbolift would fit right in there.

I don't think the impulse engines are too large, they look fine to me in any case.

As for the launchers, turn two into RCS thrusters maybe?

As for the rest, great job
Old September 8 2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Are you going to go with a navigational deflector? Looks like there is room for an NX type one at the front of the secondry hull. That said, the Oberth and Miranda didn't have them.
There's enough height on the secondary hull that I think a small dish with torpedo launchers flanking it would fit in there, so my rough plan was to try and see about fitting it in there. I'm not a fan of the NX-class arrangement, so I don't see myself using that. If a dish in the secondary hull doesn't work out I'm just going to leave it off.

What about putting torpedo launchers were the Impulse engines should be. Keep the impulse engines within the two vertical centre pieces, and you can get four torpedo launchers in there. Two either side!!!
Maybe, but that seems like overkill for rear-facing launchers. Are they really expecting to get attacked from behind that often?

The Oberth has the same problem.

Great work though.

Glad you like.
God, no - don't use the NX arrangement.

What I meant was one of a similar size - a very thin elipse. I was only semi-serious about the torpedo lauchers.
Old September 9 2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

God, no - don't use the NX arrangement.
Ah. Yes. If I'd been paying attention when I read your post, that would have been obvious.

Today was "Secondary Hull Day." I reshaped most of the components and built the back end and shuttle bay. I've been fiddling with how the torpedo launchers should fit on but haven't come up with anything good yet. They've been added in their rough positions, just to test out the location.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I don't think there's a good way to get a deflector on there, at least as the front of the hull is arranged right now.
Old September 9 2008, 02:09 PM   #11
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Modeling wise, it's looking great. That is definitely an awkward looking ship, though...

-=MadMan1701A=-
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Data Holmes
Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I don't think there's a good way to get a deflector on there, at least as the front of the hull is arranged right now.
Nice... Remember that this is the movie era, you don't have to have a deflector dish. Just use the set up of the Reliant.
Old September 9 2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Blip
Fleet Captain

Tssk. Reliant was "designed" by ILM - considering the amount of thought they put into that and other ships such as the Grissom, I hardly think we can rely on it as a technical guide...

Not too sure about the aft shuttlebay, to be honest. To me it looks like your endcaps should be a part of the same door assembly, with a slightly curved right angle rather than the clamshell arrangement you have there. In fact, I'd suggest that the secondary hull as a whole is a lot less curvy than you've portrayed, and more boxy.

Unfortunately a combination of poor shading along the sides, and the pronounced slope at the front of said hull give the impression of it being a lot smoother.

Despite that though, I love that someone is taking the time to tackle this peculiarity - and I definitely agree with your assessment of the original Bozeman!
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

* shrugs * I like the original Soyuz better. The secondary hull doesn't really suit this design IMO, as it just looks tacked on. Perhaps it's supposed to be a pod unit, much like the Oberth's lower section is speculated to be? That solves the transportation issue.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 05:36 PM   #15
EmperorKalan
Commander

Hmm. It has a lot in common with the TNG Springfield class: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...pringfield.htm
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote