Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 12 2012, 05:27 PM   #31
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Mariska Hargitay to Continue with Law & Order:SVU

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I love Modern Family...wait....
Old January 12 2012, 06:46 PM   #32
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

JRS wrote: View Post
PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
I like the addition of the two new characters though after watching Cold Case for 7 seasons i keep thinking Danny Pino is playing the same character on SVU but I think that's more me than him.
I know what you mean. I was more of a Cold Case fan than an SVU fan - I loved that show, and I loved the character of Scotty Valens. And whenever I see Danny Pino, I subconsciously wait to see Kathryn Morris (who I also adored).
Where are the Cold Case DVDs anyway? I heard it was something to do with the music rights.
Yup. There's so much music on Cold Case that getting all the rights would be way too cost prohibitive for a DVD release.
Old January 12 2012, 07:54 PM   #33
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

JRS wrote: View Post
Where are the Cold Case DVDs anyway? I heard it was something to do with the music rights.
Yup. There's so much music on Cold Case that getting all the rights would be way too cost prohibitive for a DVD release.
Yeah...no way we are ever gonna see Cold Case DVD sets. Every single episode of that show has period-specific popular music on it, and no way could they get the rights to all that for a reasonable amount of money. It would be impossible. They even had a few episodes where they used the music of only one band - I remember they used Bruce Springsteen's music for one episode, for example.

This is the only show that I have pieces of that were acquired by alternate means. I purchase the DVD sets for all of my favorite shows, and would gladly purchase them for Cold Case...but no way we are ever gonna see them. It's a shame for the fans, but they couldn't ever get all the rights, and re-scoring every single episode of a show that ran for what? 7 years? That ain't gonna happen. Still, put out the DVD sets and I'll be the first in line. I loved that show - great characters!

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 09:59 PM   #34
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Aren't the Cold Squad creators still bitter over their perception of Cold Case supposedly ripping them off? Perhaps that is also part of the DVD holdup.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 10:03 PM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I doubt it. Bitterness has nothing to do with DVD releases.
Old January 12 2012, 10:07 PM   #36
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Litigation would. The Cold Squad people did attempt it. Perhaps they still are.

Although the music clearance issue is probably a bigger obstacle.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 10:08 PM   #37
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

They thought about filing a lawsuit back in 2003 when the show first aired, but nothing ever came of it.
Old January 13 2012, 01:39 AM   #38
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Timby wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
but the ratings have been pretty good
Uh, not really. It's averaging only around 7 million viewers per episode, nearly 2 million down from last season (and more than a million viewers less than the numbers which got Criminal Intent punted to USA Network), and it's tied its all-time series low in viewership at least twice this season. SVU's renewal is far from a sure thing, though I'd tip the scales in favor of Season 14, if only because Giddish and Pino signed two-year contracts and NBC surely won't want to eat that money.
Its ratings may be down but it seems like they're pretty much down across the board on NBC nowadays. Things are a lot worse for NBC now than they were when Criminal Intent was moved to USA. (And even then, Criminal Intent would still pop back up on NBC every once in a while.) Plus, since it's a Universal show, that means that NBC/Universal makes extra money on DVDs & syndication.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I assume she is still going to be moved into some sort of a supervisory role at some point in the season.
Yes. Her demand for signing on for Season 13 was that she have a reduced workload, so she signed a deal that had her in a full-time role for the front thirteen episodes of the season, and would move her into a reduced role for the back nine. I'll bet you anything that Dann Florek has been given his walking papers.
Hey, it's not like any of them ever listen to Captain Cragen anyway.

That might kinda suck for Florek but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. It would be similar to Jack McCoy's promotion to DA during the 18th season of the original series. (One difference though: The previous DA, Arthur Branch, left the show voluntarily because Fred Dalton Thompson wanted to make a run at the 2008 Republican Presidential nomination.)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Is this show worth watching anymore? I quit watching SVU years ago, as it got kind of stale for me.
It's Law & Order. It's always going to be the same. The main question is whether or not you're in the mood for it.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
As sad as I am to say it, the simplest thing financially would have been to have Munch retire as well. There must be some kind of financial dues due to the Homicide people for using him every episode and he's only in a third of them a season anyways.
Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana waived their rights to Munch but there's a third guy whose name escapes me right now who didn't and they still have to pay him royalties.
David Simon? I believe he's one of the other creators of Homicide.

Why don't they use Munch more often?!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
As for Benson: If she does take over the squad, I bet Munch would be only too happy to let her (he hates it when he has to run things, he only took the Sergeant's exam on a bar bet ).
He also took the Sergeant's exam back when he was in Baltimore at the same time Kay Howard did, but he flunked it. (I think. Either he flunked it or he got kicked out of the exam room for sass-mouthing the teacher.)
Old January 13 2012, 02:21 AM   #39
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Everyone is always down on them not using Munch that much, but I wonder if anyone has ever asked him if he simply doesn't want to work that much? I mean, Belzer is 67.
Old January 13 2012, 02:35 AM   #40
Harvey
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana waived their rights to Munch but there's a third guy whose name escapes me right now who didn't and they still have to pay him royalties.
Simon wrote the non-fiction book the series was based upon, but the third person is probably Paul Attanasio, who wrote the pilot and has the sole "created by" credit on the series (Simon's "based on" credit is relegated to the end titles; he didn't join the series until the fourth season, although he did co-write an episode of season two).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 02:58 AM   #41
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

^Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about Attanasio.

BTW, has anyone ever read David Simon's original book? Is it any good?
Old January 13 2012, 03:19 AM   #42
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Simon wrote the non-fiction book the series was based upon, but the third person is probably Paul Attanasio, who wrote the pilot and has the sole "created by" credit on the series (Simon's "based on" credit is relegated to the end titles; he didn't join the series until the fourth season, although he did co-write an episode of season two).
It is Simon, actually, who has the third part of Munch's character rights, due to Munch being based essentially entirely upon a character in Simon's book, right down to lines of dialogue, and as part of his sale of the book, Munch was one of the characters to whom he holds partial ownership. According to The Unofficial Companion, which is at least authentic enough to have a pretty detailed foreword from Dick Wolf and direct quotes from cast and staff (along with being written by two longtime Hollywood Reporter writers), Simon was the lone holdout in waiving the rights to Munch on SVU, and as a result he gets a royalty payment for every single appearance the character makes.

In any event, between his television, stand-up and book work, Belzer's made his money, and it's not like, after 13 years on SVU, he's making eight bucks an hour for his work. He's made his money, and from comments he's made in the past, he's perfectly fine with showing up for a few scenes an episode and earning a decent paycheck to finance his love of travel.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 06:54 AM   #43
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Interestingly enough, Detective Munch is based on a real Baltimore PD Sgt. Jay Landsman, who was known as the skinniest guy in the department. The Jay Landsman in The Wire, of course, does not have this feature.
Old January 13 2012, 07:48 AM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

It is Simon, actually, who has the third part of Munch's character rights, due to Munch being based essentially entirely upon a character in Simon's book, right down to lines of dialogue, and as part of his sale of the book, Munch was one of the characters to whom he holds partial ownership.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Although I'm bewildered why Attanasio wouldn't have some ownership of the character, but Levinson and Fontana would.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 11:27 PM   #45
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

While I suppose it makes sense that perhaps Belzer would want a reduced shooting schedule, I would prefer it if we at least got two or three kickass Munch-centric episodes per season rather than dribbling out a few token scenes per episode.

BTW, does Simon get paid just for Munch being listed in the opening credits, even if it's an episode that he's not actually in?