Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: SPACE: Above and Beyond - Reviews and general geekiness

Col. McQueen was one of the best bad-ass characters in science fiction.

To wit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5KO...eature=related
Old January 8 2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post

His exchange with Ross just before:

Ross: "I'll be a son of bitch if I attend your funeral!"

McQueen: Yes, sir, you will...but we'll discuss your mother when I get back."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I agree with the sentiment that McQueen, Hawkes, and Vansen (in that order) basically carried the show. As far as lead characters go, Nathan West was a pretty weak one. Maybe one of the few negatives points in that show.

Here's a clip which continues right after that moment... McQueen taking on Chiggi Van Richthofen singlehandedly, avenging the death of Lt. Winslow. Probably one of the show's best episodes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIzLBvB-tpM
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I've heard cost talked about before as a reason for why some shows don't get second seasons, and that's obviously a factor, but it's always been my contention that a big enough viewership would make money no object. I think if S:AAB (or Firefly, or Caprica, what have you) had the ratings that Cheers or Friends got on a consistent basis advertisers would gladly pay through the nose to sponsor such shows and the network in turn would gladly pay whatever it took to keep them on the air.
Sadly, that's not always the case. The original BSG never fell out of the top 25 shows, but CBS counter-programmed All In the Family and Alice against it, causing it to drop out of the top 10. BSG's high cost and troubled production schedule (partly ABC's fault for going to series too fast) made ABC think it could be more successful in that timeslot by moving the much cheaper to make powerhouse of Mork & Mindy against CBS on Sunday at 8. (That didn't turn out to be the case, and Mork's ratings dropped so much that the show never recovered.) BSG was killed despite doing pretty well in the ratings against some of the toughest competition on network TV: Archie Bunker.
Reference here.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Mr Light
Admiral

I hated, hated, hated West. He was so boring and lifeless. Gawd. The episodes starring him were by far the worst. I loved Vansen mainly because I had a huge crush on Kristen Cloke back in the day

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 02:12 AM   #21
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I loved this show too. It's a shame they didn't make a couple of TV movies to tie up the loose ends.

I wish Lanei Chapman had been given something meatier to work with in her Trek appearances too. Judging from what we see in this show, she could have made a worthwhile addition to the cast there if they'd developed her like O'Brien.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 03:18 AM   #22
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
I agree with the sentiment that McQueen, Hawkes, and Vansen (in that order) basically carried the show. As far as lead characters go, Nathan West was a pretty weak one. Maybe one of the few negatives points in that show.

Here's a clip which continues right after that moment... McQueen taking on Chiggi Van Richthofen singlehandedly, avenging the death of Lt. Winslow. Probably one of the show's best episodes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIzLBvB-tpM
It wasn't so much McQueens combat with Chiggy (to which BSG's 'Scar' owes an obvious debt) but his reflection afterwards.

'Now I know who I am. But who was he? And who was she?'

That's what raises SAAB to a higher level, gives it the emotional resonance that means we still adore it nearly 20 years later.

As for Damphouse she was ok, she needed more to do. But Wang and West were the dead losses. I did like Martin Jarvis' guest star role, nice to see the Grenadier Guards are still serving King and Country hundreds of years in the future.
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 03:19 AM   #23
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I hated, hated, hated West. He was so boring and lifeless. Gawd. The episodes starring him were by far the worst. I loved Vansen mainly because I had a huge crush on Kristen Cloke back in the day
Didn't we all? Certainly the producer did, that's why he married her (lucky bugger!)
Old January 9 2012, 06:40 AM   #24
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Wargamers also remember S:AB...

http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/ACME4155...ompage0001.htm

http://www.armouryhobbies.com/Starsh...and_Beyond.htm
Old January 9 2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Saul
Rear Admiral

Didn't like the show at first but by the end was screaming for more. nBSG did remind me of it.

Old January 9 2012, 02:16 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah, I think it started out weak - I actually stopped watching it after a few episodes. But then I tuned in again mid-season and discovered it had become the best military sci fi show ever.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 03:16 PM   #27
byron lomax
Commander

I barely remember anything about it, but I do remember liking it. From what I do recall, the main character was kind of bland, but the rest of the cast made up for it. I had a major crush on Kristen Cloke too, and still think she looks magnificent - too bad she never had much time for acting later on.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 04:34 PM   #28
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I didn't really care for it at first. After seeing the final episode, I thought it may be worth it to see the whole thing. A couple years back I got the DVDs for cheap. There were worse ways to kill a weekend.

I thought it was odd though, the way everyone was a pilot and a ground troop. Reminded me of the GIJoe cartoons from the 80s. I really wasn't sure if it was a conscious statement on the part of the writers to make future warriors completely adaptable. Or just lazy writing. "Eh, !@#$ it, everyone's a pilot and ground pounder. And a diver. And they snow board."
Old January 9 2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Loved the show. Bought the discs for 19.99 a couple years ago-so glad I did. The Col was my favorite by far-he added gravitas to the scenes, like when he blows up on that marine for hitting on him.

Favorite episode? The one with the pancakes. That final scene was, to me, almost iconic in its imagery. Good show, deserved more of a chance. Oh, and I owned (and still do) the same Bears t-shirt Wang had. LOL.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
saturn5
Fleet Captain

SnowFlakeOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for it at first. After seeing the final episode, I thought it may be worth it to see the whole thing. A couple years back I got the DVDs for cheap. There were worse ways to kill a weekend.

I thought it was odd though, the way everyone was a pilot and a ground troop. Reminded me of the GIJoe cartoons from the 80s. I really wasn't sure if it was a conscious statement on the part of the writers to make future warriors completely adaptable. Or just lazy writing. "Eh, !@#$ it, everyone's a pilot and ground pounder. And a diver. And they snow board."
I'm afraid you have to chalk that up to the cliches of storytelling, like Captain Kirk leading every away party or The Unit's members being able to blend into every enviroment, the series wanted to explore every aspect of the war but keep the continuity of the characters