Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2012, 01:22 AM   #16
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Once Nolan's trilogy ends..

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens...Robin can be done right if you take the right source material and apply it. The greatest Robin origin story I've ever read is Dark Victory. This is my favourite piece of work from Jeph Loeb. Tell me this story handled right wouldn't work in a live action piece. Broccoli hit it on the nail why "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" didn't work. They changed Bruce and Dick's entire dynamic and aged Dick. While "Kick-Ass" was over the top and meant to be so...treated with that level of maturity and sophistication, there is absolutely no reason why Robin can't work in a live action Batman movie. I'm sorry for ranting about this all the time but it is a particular subject I'm really passionate about. As Tim Drake so rightly concluded so many years ago Batman will always need a Robin!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 03:29 AM   #17
Mike Farley
Commodore

Wonder if it'd be too much t0 ask if the Darknight Detective did some detective work?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, this is one element that has been missing from the trilogy.

Old January 7 2012, 04:39 AM   #19
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
A hyper stylized Robert Rodriquez Batman film that combines elements of "Sin City" with tarantino's Crazy 88 sequence from kill Bill..with a twangy surf rock soundtrack. But no camp.
Coincidentally, they're running Desperado on AMC right now
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 05:55 AM   #20
Disruptor
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
A hyper stylized Robert Rodriquez Batman film that combines elements of "Sin City" with tarantino's Crazy 88 sequence from kill Bill..with a twangy surf rock soundtrack. But no camp.

So, then "camp".
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 06:02 AM   #21
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens...Robin can be done right if you take the right source material and apply it. The greatest Robin origin story I've ever read is Dark Victory. This is my favourite piece of work from Jeph Loeb. Tell me this story handled right wouldn't work in a live action piece.
Robin is still a 13 year-old that Batman is bringing out to fight crime with. It was a good story, but a live-action version of that is going to be hard to buy for mainstream audiences.

Broccoli hit it on the nail why "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" didn't work. They changed Bruce and Dick's entire dynamic and aged Dick.
Actually, I said the opposite. I think it worked because they aged him and changed the dynamic.
Old January 7 2012, 06:18 AM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Oh oops...bad job on me for not reading correctly. I still disagree though. I realize that audiences would probably have a hard time rationalizing a 13 year old side kick but then maybe the compromise is having him 14 or 15. I really truly believe it would work handled by someone who can appreciate the character and the material. *Shrugs*. This reminds me of that old Robin thread that was around a few years ago. This is when this topic was first brought up I think. Probably sometime in between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight".

Old January 7 2012, 06:19 AM   #23
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I've heard tell that Warner, once Nolan's Dark Knight saga is concluded, will restart the character in a TV show (live action).

They aren't going to do a live action Bat film for awhile. Allow some time between the end of Nolan's saga and the start of whatever cinematic version begins.
Old January 7 2012, 06:22 AM   #24
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I've not heard any rumours about a live action television series...if they did have one, they'd have to finally lift the Bat-Embargo.

Old January 7 2012, 06:32 AM   #25
stonester1
Rear Admiral

It was mentioned on the Kevin Smith/Ralph Garmin podcast, Hollywood Babble-on, during their "Geek News" segment.
Old January 7 2012, 06:43 AM   #26
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ Oh oops...bad job on me for not reading correctly. I still disagree though. I realize that audiences would probably have a hard time rationalizing a 13 year old side kick but then maybe the compromise is having him 14 or 15. I really truly believe it would work handled by someone who can appreciate the character and the material. *Shrugs*. This reminds me of that old Robin thread that was around a few years ago. This is when this topic was first brought up I think. Probably sometime in between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight".
It would be tough to pull off successfully. Maybe if they had Robin already active and being an older teen to begin with (kinda how they did in B:TAS), people could buy it a little better.

Again, I really liked the idea they went with in Forever/B&R. While it is not the only approach, I think that was the right one at that time to take for a tricky character like that. Now, if the storyline (B&R in particular) serviced the character better...

I've not heard any rumours about a live action television series...if they did have one, they'd have to finally lift the Bat-Embargo.
I remember hearing something like that 2 or 3 years ago. It is probably bunk as WB is likely concentrating on TDKR more than anything else. If there is an idea for a show, I bet it is in the back of their minds at the moment.
Old January 7 2012, 06:45 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I will say that I would love to see a solo "Nightwing" movie with maybe a flash back to his origin as Robin

Old January 7 2012, 06:47 AM   #28
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ Nightwing: Year One was pretty good and the central idea behind it would make a good basis for a Nightwing movie.
Old January 7 2012, 06:50 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Ah we finally agree on something Okay now I remember about those rumours from a couple years ago now that you mentioned the time frame. I still don't think a live action television series is feasible. The economy is a big problem right now. Look at all the productions shutting down. I also think this is one reason why DC can't get their shows off the ground. Their concepts are too expensive to produce right now...but maybe that's a subject left better to another thread.

Old January 7 2012, 06:52 AM   #30
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I don't think a live action Batman TV series would be all that successful. I don't know why I think this. Just a feeling, I suppose.