Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 21 2012, 03:54 AM   #1036
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Do you understand what you are doing to your soul young woman? You don't have to ever talk about Alcatraz ever again unless... No court in the world convict you.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 08:22 PM   #1037
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hulu development.

Xander Berkeley's in a sci fi (ish) show and nobody told me? Anyone know about this and whether it's worth checking out?

Here's the info on the S2 premiere in July.

“The Booth at the End” (Season Two)
For fans of: “The Booth at the End” (Season One), “Lie To Me,” “Bones,” “Castle,” “Grimm,” “Touch,” “Lost,” “Psych,” “Fringe,” “The X-Files”

Premieres: July 2012

Xander Berkeley, best known for his roles as “George Mason” in FOX’s “24” and “Percy” in The CW’s “Nikita,” stars as an enigmatic man occupying the corner booth of a diner. He possesses the power to grant desires, contingent upon recipients performing mysterious tasks. This half-hour psychological thriller begs the question: “How far would you go to get what you want?” Directed by Adam Arkin (“Justified,” “Grey’s Anatomy”), season two premieres on Hulu and Hulu Plus in July. Five (5) episodes.
Hmm! Actually looks fairly interesting...

S1 trailer

S2 trailer
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 08:50 PM   #1038
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Booth at the End is superb.

Although you're not quite sure if it's magic, demons, numerology or psychology.

I want to see a movie called Mars Attacks 1942.

The Axis has to defend themselves from Martians.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 10:58 PM   #1039
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The Booth At The End looks good. Sort of a cross between Twilight Zone and Fantasy Island.
Old May 22 2012, 02:52 AM   #1040
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

WSJ analyzes fall season, full of creepy dark shows. This line made me happy, from the president of NBC Entertainment:

"How do you make an original cop or hospital show?" she said. "That's why you find yourself leaning into big ideas that are often complex and dark."
FINALLY! They admit they are out of ideas for cop/doctor/lawyer shows!

I think the trend towards darkness is smart. With declining audiences overall, network TV needs to hang onto the female viewers, who watch more TV (especially when you factor out sports) than men, and horror is popular among women. But horror doesn't necessarily drive men away either, so some of these shows will be able to have it both ways.

Why all this darkness now? Partly, executives say, it is a mood, with the political climate tense, the economy still shrouded in uncertainty and a lot of people still out of work.

"We think people want to escape," said Peter Roth, president of Warner Bros. Television, a Time Warner Inc. unit that is making several of the more ominous shows, including "666 Park Avenue." "Some people believe that escape is a singular form that means beaches, warm weather and bikinis," he said. "We don't subscribe to that theory."
Well, maybe. Some kinds of darkness, a la nuBSG, are too thought-provoking and morally slippery to be properly escapist. The type of darkness that is good for escapism is the simple us-vs-them type. Jeckyll vs. Hyde. Innocent young couple vs. their landlords, who probably work for Satan. Cop/crusading journalist vs. serial killer. Paranormal investigator vs global conspiracy involving Nazis and probably Satan again. Sub commander vs. some sort of evil conspiracy in Washington DC. The broadcast networks have been careful to stick with escapist darkness.

Others say broadcast is taking a cue from cable channels, which, in a splintering wilderness of programming, are drawing increasing attention with their original shows, many of which deal with edgier subject matter.
They didn't even mention American Horror Story and Dexter, which are the most obvious inspirations for this trend.
Old May 22 2012, 09:27 AM   #1041
RJDonner&Blitzen

That trend is about thirty years old now. When Networks finally figure something out, that usually means that it's over-- so maybe this is good news.
Old May 22 2012, 07:13 PM   #1042
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The upsurge in horror on broadcast is pretty new, especially at the expense of cop/doctor/lawyer shows. Of course the real trend this year is comedy, but I figure that will end next year when most of them tank.
Old May 22 2012, 10:34 PM   #1043
RJDonner&Blitzen

That's what I mean. Once the networks notice, it's pretty much over. In other areas, we finally seem to be seeing a backlash against the incessant grimness.
Old May 22 2012, 11:41 PM   #1044
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The networks are doing "dark" in a very networky way - not nearly with the same level of moral ambiguity that we'd see on cable. So I think it'll work out for them okay.
Old May 23 2012, 09:26 AM   #1045
RJDonner&Blitzen

As long as it heralds the end of the trend, that's fine with me.
Old May 23 2012, 06:42 PM   #1046
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It'll continue on cable for some time to come - there's no signs of abating or any reason why it should.
Old May 23 2012, 07:49 PM   #1047
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Behind the scenes story on Defiance.

They keep talking about how the game and show are being developed "together" but I still don't see how the game could be integrated into the show without being counterproductive. Having a character show up in the show and talk about what they did in the game sounds silly. If it's germane to the TV show, they should include that dialogue anyway. If it's not, why waste our time?

I suspect that minor details from the game might be brought into the show, but for the show writers to wait for a battle in the game to take place, and then work that into the show, wouldn't be feasible unless it's between seasons, I guess. Even then, I don't want to see stuff from the game used if it results in inferior storytelling. If they want to use the game for ideas on how to take the story, then that's fine, but the overriding principle should always be, what's good for the story.

The show looks very politics-focused, with Julie Benz' character at the center of a lot of pushing and pulling between competing interests, very B5-ish. Which sounds great, but not at all conducive to being integrated with an action-oriented game.

In the series, there's definitely a focus on it as a sci fi/Western, but they don't seem aware of the irony of having the St Louis Gateway Arch prominently displayed as a symbol. It's a symbol of the gateway to the West, which of course means, it's not actually in the West. Also, it never fails to remind me of one-half of a McDonald's sign, but that's probably just me.

They're using digital sets to portray a very futuristic/alien looking St Louis. I hope the show succeeds because this could be a good stepping stone for doing future shows in an actual alien world.

Here's the clip:
Old May 23 2012, 08:08 PM   #1048
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, I'm uneasy about the whole "the game affects the show" thing, because I have zero interest in the game. Crossovers are fine, but part of making a good crossover is making sure that each individual component of it is able to stand on its own without depending on the other, so that audiences who are only interested in one component aren't missing out on anything or confused by anything.

And I'm continually puzzled by the notion of how a computer game can have a canon. Every player puts a different character at the center of the action and they all experience the action in different ways -- go through the missions in different orders, have different outcomes to those missions, etc. Which of those endlessly differing versions is the "real" one where the more conventional tales like TV episodes or novels are concerned? I could understand it if the game were, like, based on the "actual" events that happen in the show's universe -- an interactive simulation that could let people experience approximations of historical events, like the way we have WWII-based shooter games in real life. But the idea of the show responding to events in the game is more puzzling.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 08:14 PM   #1049
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Someday (probably when we have holosuites), there will be a story/game hybrid where characters can choose to observe the main story, or wander off and interact with other parts of the environment, which have some slight chance of impacting the events of the main story in a way that won't upset the story.

Some people can ignore the main story (gamers) and others can ignore everything but the main story (audience). People can go back and forth between these two modes as well, and control the pace at which they observe the story so they don't need to worry about missing anything.

But there will always be a main story that cannot be dependent on the actions of people who aren't chiefly focused on making a good story, with an understanding of what a good story is, in the first place. Expecting gamers to collaboratively create a good story when their goal in the game is going to be building their character's abilities, winning, stuff like that, is like expecting a mudfight to spontaneously result in a sculpture that looks like Rodin's Thinker.

My bet is that most of the TV audience will be unaware that the game is occurring at all. Maybe there will be ads to make the audience aware that it exists, but it won't really matter to enjoying the show. To really be integrated, the show and game need to be happening on the same device.
Old May 23 2012, 08:21 PM   #1050
Christopher
Writer

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
My bet is that most of the TV audience will be unaware that the game is occurring at all.
I sincerely hope so.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote