Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2014, 04:11 PM   #3256
Borgminister

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Not sure how that's gonna be sustainable. Hope it doesn't put me to sleep...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 11:32 PM   #3257
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

‘The Greatest American Hero’ Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
Old August 30 2014, 09:56 AM   #3258
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I can't wait to see how they make it "darker."

Although, to be fair, they've done pretty well with Sleepy Hollow.
Old August 31 2014, 06:19 AM   #3259
JD
Admiral

The whole concept behind Nod is interesting, but there's going to have to be a lot more to it than that basic concept to really get me interested.
I've never watched Greatest American Hero, so at this point I don't really have an opinion on the remake either way.
Old August 31 2014, 01:31 PM   #3260
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I've never watched Greatest American Hero, so at this point I don't really have an opinion on the remake either way.
It was a fun but flawed show; it started out with a lot of promise, but got somewhat dumbed down over time due to the network's assumption that its superheroic focus made it a kids' show. But it was really more a deconstruction of superheroes, and sometimes a rather harsh one. The hero didn't use a code name, he was rather embarrassed by his costume, other people seeing him in costume were generally mocking or disturbed, he had little understanding of his powers, and they tended to screw up his life quite a bit. I think a modern adaptation, in this era when superheroes are a more widely embraced cultural mythology and when comics and superhero movies themselves have already done so much to deconstruct the genre, the tone and approach of the remake would have to be different.

What made the original work most, though, was its cast, especially Robert Culp, and the interplay between Culp and William Katt. Like many Stephen J. Cannell shows, it really centered on the mismatched-partners dynamic. Also the cool Mike Post/Pete Carpenter score helped a lot.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 08:49 PM   #3261
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Fox Nabs ‘Minority Report’ Series With Big Put Pilot* Commitment

The series is envisioned as a sequel to the movie. It is set 10 years after the end of Precrime in DC. One of the three Precogs struggles to lead a “normal” human life, but remains haunted by visions the future, when he meets a detective haunted by her past who just may help him find a purpose to his gift.
* put pilot definition
Old September 8 2014, 09:02 PM   #3262
Christopher
Writer

Wow, I never would've expected the Minority Report series to go in that direction. I figured it'd be set while Precrime still existed and just have that be the status quo. Having it be a loosely-connected sequel set in the movie's world is an interesting idea, but it remains to be seen how it'll play out. (And since it's a put pilot, we're pretty much guaranteed to see it.)

Old September 9 2014, 12:37 AM   #3263
Borgminister

This sounds like a promising twist... and on Fox, it has a chance to represent the genre, as opposed to Extant on CBS.
Old September 11 2014, 04:34 PM   #3264
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Fox Buys Ghost Hunting Drama From ’24’ Producers

Fox is looking to return to its X Files roots with a supernatural drama from 24 executive producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto...

Written by Katz and Coto, the untitled project centers on an Iraq war vet who experiences a supernatural attack that leaves his wife in an unexplained coma. He embarks on a desperate quest to unravel the truth behind hauntings. Though a determined and acerbic loner, circumstances force him to work with a media-hungry, but not very successful team of ghost hunters. The team is led by a former university professor fired because of her research into mysterious phenomena, who is now determined to restore her reputation and academic career. Together, they chronicle dangerous, violent and truly terrifying occurrences.
Old September 11 2014, 11:38 PM   #3265
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Roland Emmerich & Keanu Reeves To Produce Virtual Reality Drama Series

Feature director Roland Emmerich is set to direct and executive produce New Angeles, a TV series from Slingshot Global Media, the Los Angeles-based company launched in February by former FremantleMedia topper David Ellender.

Best-selling novelist and comic book writer Gregg Hurwitz will write the project and also executive produce.

Set in the future, the series centers on a young man who escapes the mundane reality of his life by entering an exciting virtual reality world called New Angeles. Once down the rabbit hole, he adopts a new identity, becoming the man he was always destined to be, and in the process, unlocking the keys to a mystery that has real-world consequences for him and his family.
Old September 12 2014, 01:18 AM   #3266
JD
Admiral

The Minority Report series is interesting sounding, I just hope they can make it unique in the cop series heavy TV world.
Not sure what to make of those other two at this point.
Old September 12 2014, 01:37 AM   #3267
Borgminister

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

Feature director Roland Emmerich is set to direct and executive produce New Angeles, a TV series from Slingshot Global Media, the Los Angeles-based company launched in February by former FremantleMedia topper David Ellender.

Best-selling novelist and comic book writer Gregg Hurwitz will write the project and also executive produce.

Set in the future, the series centers on a young man who escapes the mundane reality of his life by entering an exciting virtual reality world called New Angeles. Once down the rabbit hole, he adopts a new identity, becoming the man he was always destined to be, and in the process, unlocking the keys to a mystery that has real-world consequences for him and his family.
Hero's name is: Neo.

It'll be interesting, but hardly original...
Old September 12 2014, 04:01 AM   #3268
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

http://deadline.com/2014/09/titans-s...-order-833189/

DC Comics ‘Titans’ Drama From Akiva Goldsman Nears TNT Pilot Order

Now the studio is expanding the DC brand to cable drama with Titans, a project that is nearing a pilot order at TNT. Titans is one of three TNT drama pilots stuck on the runaway, awaiting a formal green light as the network is undergoing a regime change.
Cool.

ETA: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/11/ti...ghtwing-pilot/
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 04:17 AM   #3269
Christopher
Writer

I just hope Starfire is closer to her animated incarnation than her New 52 incarnation.

Old September 12 2014, 10:22 AM   #3270
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

It sounds like they are lifting the 'New Cap City' plotline from Caprica. I think that was one of that show's best story lines so if they are drawing from it for inspiration I hope this series does well.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote