New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 23 2014, 05:37 AM   #3166
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

The creator of Extant is already talking about a potential second season. According to this article there's no agreed upon definition of the term limited series.
Old May 23 2014, 05:38 AM   #3167
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Isn't it just a miniseries? I swear I remember it being referred to as a limited series somewhere when they first started talking about it around the web.
Under the Dome was also described as a limited series. They're increasingly using that description for network shows and it doesn't necessarily mean that the show is a close-ended miniseries. In most cases they're shows that are open to renewal if the ratings are strong enough. They're just shows designed to have seasons of 13 episodes or less. The term is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
Old May 23 2014, 09:33 AM   #3168
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Since nothing lasts forever, all series are technically limited series.
Old May 23 2014, 12:54 PM   #3169
Christopher
Writer

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The term is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
I'd call it more a matter of preparing for the worst. No show is guaranteed renewal -- in fact, the odds are against it -- so in this more serialized era, it makes sense to have your first season be a self-contained story that comes to a satisfactory conclusion, while still having the option of continuing if the audience response is there.

Although it doesn't always work out that way. The recent Dracula show that aired on NBC was billed as a limited series, but its finale was more a cliffhanger/setup than a proper resolution, with some things resolved but just as much left hanging. And then it didn't get renewed anyway, at least not by NBC (though it's a British production, so it could conceivably continue elsewhere).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 04:48 PM   #3170
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Under The Dome didn't have any kind of resolution either. They must have had some kind of plan on how to either end it or keep it going, depending on how the ratings were.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 05:00 PM   #3171
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Isn't it just a miniseries? I swear I remember it being referred to as a limited series somewhere when they first started talking about it around the web.
Under the Dome was also described as a limited series. They're increasingly using that description for network shows and it doesn't necessarily mean that the show is a close-ended miniseries. In most cases they're shows that are open to renewal if the ratings are strong enough. They're just shows designed to have seasons of 13 episodes or less. The term is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
It's to fool you into sticking around until the end of the Season "Ah, Hell, I've already watched 6 episodes, and it's only gonna be 10 episodes, I may as well go ahead and watch the other 4" Episode 10 ends up being where it starts getting really good and resolves everything and has a great cliffhanger, that traps you into tuning in next Season (If it gets renewed)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 05:32 PM   #3172
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
Under The Dome didn't have any kind of resolution either. They must have had some kind of plan on how to either end it or keep it going, depending on how the ratings were.
It likely just would have been cancelled without resolution had the ratings been poor. That's what's happened to other limited series with open-ended season finales.
Old May 23 2014, 06:29 PM   #3173
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Like Star-Crossed. Ugh.
La la la
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 06:36 PM   #3174
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
The term is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
I'd call it more a matter of preparing for the worst. No show is guaranteed renewal -- in fact, the odds are against it -- so in this more serialized era, it makes sense to have your first season be a self-contained story that comes to a satisfactory conclusion, while still having the option of continuing if the audience response is there.

Although it doesn't always work out that way. The recent Dracula show that aired on NBC was billed as a limited series, but its finale was more a cliffhanger/setup than a proper resolution, with some things resolved but just as much left hanging. And then it didn't get renewed anyway, at least not by NBC (though it's a British production, so it could conceivably continue elsewhere).

And not only is there a satisfactory conclusion, but viewers won't bail out because the ending "matters". If there was no definite conclusion, some semi-fans (who kinda liked it, but not hard core) would give up watching in favor of doing something else. And that's not good for the network (or especially advertisers who were sold on the show in the first place)
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 07:05 PM   #3175
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
And not only is there a satisfactory conclusion, but viewers won't bail out because the ending "matters". If there was no definite conclusion, some semi-fans (who kinda liked it, but not hard core) would give up watching in favor of doing something else. And that's not good for the network (or especially advertisers who were sold on the show in the first place)
As has been discussed, though, the term "limited series" isn't only applied to shows where the season in question has a satisfactory conclusion. Some limited series fit that bill, some don't.
Old May 24 2014, 01:12 PM   #3176
Kegg
Rear Admiral

And then it didn't get renewed anyway, at least not by NBC (though it's a British production, so it could conceivably continue elsewhere).
Actually a co-production between Sky Living and NBC, which is different from say Hannibal, which is only a production of Gaumont TV.

Considering Sky also co-produces Penny Dreadful now I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old May 31 2014, 02:41 AM   #3177
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Bitten has been renewed for a second season.
Old May 31 2014, 03:44 AM   #3178
Harvey
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
And then it didn't get renewed anyway, at least not by NBC (though it's a British production, so it could conceivably continue elsewhere).
Actually a co-production between Sky Living and NBC, which is different from say Hannibal, which is only a production of Gaumont TV.

Considering Sky also co-produces Penny Dreadful now I wouldn't hold your breath.
Hey! Kegg! Nice to see you around again.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 09:49 AM   #3179
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Bitten has been renewed for a second season.
Good news. It had improved greatly by the end of the season, although, unfortunately, the main character is still the weak link.
Old June 4 2014, 07:19 PM   #3180
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Showtime has renewed Penny Dreadful for a second season.