TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 2 2014, 05:27 PM   #3016
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Helix isn't coming back until 2015. That is a Game of Thrones level of hiatus.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:32 PM   #3017
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
It's the same sort of hiatus that a lot of cable shows have, including Syfy's Being Human during its four-season run.
Old April 2 2014, 06:04 PM   #3018
Christopher
Writer

Yeah... if a series only makes 13 episodes a year, then naturally it's going to have 9-month gaps between seasons. Unless it does what some cable series do and breaks it into half-seasons of 7 and 6 episodes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 08:25 PM   #3019
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm not sure which I prefer to honest. I kind of like the idea of a mid-season break with a small cliff hanger, but then again I like 13 weeks of uninterrupted viewing too.

Last edited by Savage Dragon; April 2 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 11:14 PM   #3020
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I think The Walking Dead's 8 and 8, works great. Two short Seasons.

13 Eps, is OK to split in half, especially if you have the extra Xmas Episode too, but, any less than that (Such as Falling Skies' 1 x 10) I prefer in a single run (Especially, since Falling Skies typically runs that 10 episodes in only 8 Weeks)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 09:34 AM   #3021
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sometimes short seasons work better, sometimes they don't; but I really hate the long gaps between mini-seasons.
Old April 3 2014, 01:50 PM   #3022
dansigal
Commander

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
It's the same sort of hiatus that a lot of cable shows have, including Syfy's Being Human during its four-season run.
Nothing to see here people, move along. I would go as far to say that this is standard operating procedure for just about EVERY cable show that doesn't split their seasons, which is most of them.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 02:58 PM   #3023
Christopher
Writer

Heck, it's not even standard operating procedure (which implies it's optional), it's just arithmetic. A year is always going to be 52 weeks long, so the fewer episodes there are per season, the longer the break between seasons is going to be.

Old April 3 2014, 03:08 PM   #3024
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Nah, just show your 12 episodes at 1 a month, year round programming sorted.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 03:42 PM   #3025
Christopher
Writer

^And then people would complain about having to wait three weeks between new episodes, just like they already do now whenever there's a week off. The problem isn't with the shows, the problem is that people today have no patience and expect instant gratification.

Old April 3 2014, 04:06 PM   #3026
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

I was kidding. Must kill people waiting an entire year between seasons of Netflix shows given the way they dump them all at once.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:31 PM   #3027
dansigal
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, it's not even standard operating procedure (which implies it's optional), it's just arithmetic. A year is always going to be 52 weeks long, so the fewer episodes there are per season, the longer the break between seasons is going to be.
Well this is based on the assumption that the show will premiere at the same time each year, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I suppose if a show is being ambitious technically it could ramp up production so there's simply less time in between seasons. But realistically that's just generally not how the industry works. For starters, it's more expensive. Also programming stability is a good thing. It gives the networks an idea of what their needs are in a calendar year, and it helps with ratings for the viewing audience to be used to certain shows coming back at certain times of year.
Old April 3 2014, 05:30 PM   #3028
Christopher
Writer

Well, yeah, theoretically you could have a shorter gap in a given year, but that couldn't be expected every year. It takes time and money to produce a TV season, and a production only gets money allocated to it for so many episodes per year. However much you might be able to shift premiere dates in specific cases, on the average you'd still get only one season per year, so if there's a shorter gap between seasons one year, it has to be paid for by a longer gap the following year.

Old April 3 2014, 06:04 PM   #3029
dansigal
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, yeah, theoretically you could have a shorter gap in a given year, but that couldn't be expected every year. It takes time and money to produce a TV season, and a production only gets money allocated to it for so many episodes per year. However much you might be able to shift premiere dates in specific cases, on the average you'd still get only one season per year, so if there's a shorter gap between seasons one year, it has to be paid for by a longer gap the following year.
Agreed. You do see it now and then, like the first season of HBO's Girls premiered with GoT in the Spring, but the second season had a January debut, followed by another January debut for the third season, so it happens. But like you said, for practical reasons it's really just not how the industry works.
Old April 3 2014, 08:48 PM   #3030
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

HBO has set the premiere for The Leftovers for the 15th June. It'll have a 10-episode season.