Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 27 2014, 03:57 AM   #2911
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Deadline reports that Jonathan Rhys-Davies has joined the cast of Hieroglyph:

John Rhys-Davies (Lord of the Rings franchise) has been cast as a regular in Fox‘s 13-episode series Hieroglyph, from 20th TV and Chernin Entertainment. Set in ancient Egypt, where fantasy and reality intertwined, it follows Ambrose, a notorious thief who is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah (Reece Ritchie), navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and even a few divine sorcerers. Rhys-Davies, repped by Jeff Golenberg Management and Louisa Spring Management, will play Vocifer, Ambrose’s one-time mentor who was a dashing thief back in his day.
Annnddddd...There's another reason look forward to this one

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 09:45 AM   #2912
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Indeed. I've loved him since Sliders.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Arrow has elements of Science Fiction?
Okay, thank you. Now that you mention it, I've heard of one of those.

Syfy has bought the rights to Metal Hurlant Chronicles, a half-hour Franco-Belgian anthology show based on Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal in the US). It will premiere on Syfy in April. Here's the trailer:
Now that's mighty interesting. They'll probably have to water it down, but Sciffy has been pushing the envelope lately.
Old February 27 2014, 03:43 PM   #2913
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, they did do Nude Vegas after all.
Old February 27 2014, 04:11 PM   #2914
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Network Pilot Watch 2014

i just wanted to put these all in one place. I looked over the list of pilots at deadline.com, and these are the SF/F genre pilots they currently have listed in contention at the broadcast networks.

ABC

CLEMENTINE
Drama
STUDIO: ABC Studios
TEAM: Dean Georgaris (w, ep), Ilene Staple (ep), Mark Gordon (ep), Nick Pepper (ep), Michael Dinner (d)
LOGLINE: A habitual criminal digs into the mystery of her origins after she becomes the target of a group of zealots who fear she possesses latent supernatural abilities that she will one day harness for either profound good or monstrous evil.
CAST: Sarah Snook, Mykelti Williamson, David Strathairn, Edwin Hodge, Kevin Alejandro, Kathleen Munroe, Nick Gehlfuss

FOREVER
Drama
STUDIO: Warner Bros TV
TEAM: Matthew Miller (w, ep), Dan Lin (ep), Jennifer Gwartz (ep)
LOGLINE: Dr. Henry Morgan is New York City’s star medical examiner, but what no one knows is Henry studies the dead for a reason: He is immortal. With the help of detective Jo Martinez, the show peels back the layers of Henry’s colorful and long life through their cases.
CAST: Ioan Gruffudd, Judd Hirsch

THE VISITORS
Drama
STUDIO: ABC Studios
TEAM: Dawn Olmstead (ep), Soo Hugh (w, ep) Darryl Frank (ep), Justin Falvey (ep), Steven Spielberg (ep), Mark Romanek (d)
LOGLINE: Based on a Ray Bradbury short story, it chronicles the race against the clock to defeat an unseen alien enemy out to destroy the world using our most precious resource against us.
CAST: Lily Rabe, Barry Sloane, Derek Webster, Milo Ventimiglia, Kyle Harrison Breitkopf, Catalina Denis

CBS

EXTANT
Drama
PICKED UP DIRECT TO SERIES FOR SUMMER
STUDIO: CBS TV Studios
TEAM: Steven Spielberg (ep), Greg Walker (ep), Mickey Fisher (ep), Brooklyn Weaver (ep), Justin Falvey (ep), Darryl Frank (ep), Adam Rodin (co-ep)
LOGLINE: An astronaut returns home from a yearlong solo mission in space and tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.
CAST: Halle Berry

The CW

THE FLASH
Drama
STUDIO: Warner Bros Television
TEAM: Greg Berlanti (w, ep), Andrew Kreisberg (w, ep), Geoff Johns (w), David Nutter (d, ep), Melissa Kellner Berman (co-ep)
LOGLINE: Barry Allen is a Central City assistant police forensics investigator who arrives in Starling to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. A comic book fanboy, Barry is obsessed with the Arrow unaware that working with Oliver and Felicity to solve the crime has brought him right into the dangerous world of the vigilante.
CAST: Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Rick Gosnett, Danielle Panabaker, Candice Patton, Carlos Valdes, Tom Cavanaugh, John Wesley Shipp, Michelle Harrison

iZOMBIE
Drama
STUDIO: Warner Bros. Television
TEAM: Rob Thomas (w, ep), Diane Ruggiero (w, ep), Danielle Stokdyk (ep), Dan Etheridge (ep)
LOGLINE: A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.
CAST: Malcolm Goodwin, Alexandra Krosney, David Anders

THE MESSENGERS
Drama
STUDIO: CBS TV Studios
TEAM: Basil Iwanyk (ep), Eoghan O’Donnell (w, co-ep), Kent Kubena (ep) Ava Jamshidi
LOGLINE: When a mysterious object crashes down to Earth, a group of seemingly unconnected strangers dies from the energy pulse. But then they awaken to learn that they have been deemed responsible for preventing the impending apocalypse.
CAST: Sofia Black-D’Elia, Joel Courtney

SUPERNATURAL: TRIBES (backdoor pilot)
Drama
STUDIO: Warner Bros Television
TEAM: Andrew Dabb (w, ep), Eric Kripke (ep), Robert Singer (ep), Jeremy Carver (ep), McG (ep), Robert Singer (d)
LOGLINE: Explores the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.
CAST: Nathaniel Buzolic, Lucien Laviscount, Sean Faris

Fox

LAST MAN ON EARTH
Comedy (single camera)
[i[ORDERED STRAIGHT TO SERIES[/i]
STUDIO: 20th TV
TEAM: Will Forte (w, ep), Phil Lord (d, ep), Chris Miller (d, ep), Seth Cohen (ep)
LOGLINE: A stranger who becomes the last human on Earth.
CAST: Will Forte

GOTHAM (expected to go to series)
Drama
TEAM: Bruno Heller (w, ep), Danny Cannon (d)
LOGLINE: Explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon from the Batman comics and films — who is still a detective and has yet to meet Batman — and the villains who made Gotham City famous.
CAST: Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue, Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, Erin Richards

HIEROGLYPH
Drama
ORDERED STRAIGHT TO SERIES FOR NEXT SEASON; 13 EPISODES
STUDIO: 20th Century Fox TV
TEAM: Travis Beacham (w, ep), Peter Chernin (ep), Katherine Pope (ep), Miguel Sapochnik (d, ep)
LOGLINE: A notorious thief is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah, navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and even a few divine sorcerers.
CAST: Reece Ritchie, Kelsey Chow, Condola Rashad, John Rhys-Davies

NBC

BABYLON FIELDS
Drama
STUDIO: 20th Century Fox TV
TEAM: Michael Cuesta (ep, d), Gerald Cuesta (w, ep), Michael Atkinson (w, ep)
LOGLINE: The dead are rising in Babylon, NY, and as a result, lives are regained, old wounds are reopened and families are restored — for better or worse. The newly regenerated bodies are healing faster and growing stronger than anyone else, leading to the suspicion that they might be the next step in human evolution.
CAST: Meagan Good, Skeet Ulrich

CONSTANTINE
Drama
TEAM: Daniel Cerone (w, ep), David S. Goyer (w, ep), Neil Marshall (d)
LOGLINE: Based on the characters in DC Comics’ stories about John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.
CAST: Matt Ryan

EMERALD CITY
Mini-series
STUDIO: Universal TV
TEAM: Matthew Arnold (w, ep), Josh Friedman (ep)
LOGLINE: A modern and dark reimagining of the classic tale of Oz that includes lethal warriors, competing kingdoms, and the infamous wizard as we’ve never seen him before. A headstrong 20-year-old Dorothy Gale is unwittingly sent on a journey that thrusts her into the center of an epic and bloody battle for the control of Oz.

TIN MAN
Drama
STUDIO: Universal TV
TEAM: Ehren Kruger (w, ep), John Glenn (ep), Daniel Bobker (ep), D.J. Caruso (d, ep)
LOGLINE: Psychological crime thriller set in the near future focuses on a fugitive robot accused of first-degree murder, who may hold the key to the future of human evolution, and the young female public defender forced to fight for his cause.
CAST: Patrick Heusinger, Shaun Taub, Ryan Yu, Kara Killmer, Kathleen York, Kristen Connolly, Vondie Curtis-Hall
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 05:10 PM   #2915
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Network Pilot Watch 2014

Last Man on Earth sounds interesting. All the other characters aliens? women? only shown in flashbacks?
Old February 27 2014, 05:17 PM   #2916
Christopher
Writer

Re: Network Pilot Watch 2014

sojourner wrote: View Post
Last Man on Earth sounds interesting. All the other characters aliens? women? only shown in flashbacks?
A hologram, an evolved cat, and a mechanoid?
Old February 27 2014, 08:39 PM   #2917
Spider
Dirty Old Man

LOGLINE: A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.
Really? I mean, come on. Seriously?

No wonder I don't pay much attention to the broadcast channels anymore. Wow.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 08:49 PM   #2918
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
The iZombie comic book was generally well regarded and the TV adaptation has a good creative team behind it.
Old February 27 2014, 08:54 PM   #2919
Spider
Dirty Old Man

^^^
The iZombie comic book was generally well regarded and the TV adaptation has a good creative team behind it.
Really? The idea, just reading it for the first time, sounds like the most preposterous thing I've ever heard. Well, you never know what might turn out to be a good thing. They once had a show about people with six shooters in outer space that turned out pretty good.

Old February 27 2014, 09:02 PM   #2920
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
It's an out there premise to be sure. Shades of Tru Calling, but more macabre and with a structure of solving murders rather than time travelling to prevent them.
Old February 27 2014, 09:29 PM   #2921
sojourner
Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post

Really? The idea, just reading it for the first time, sounds like the most preposterous thing I've ever heard. Well, you never know what might turn out to be a good thing. They once had a show about people with six shooters in outer space that turned out pretty good.
I thought Sleepy Hollow was a silly idea for a series. Look how that turned out.
Old February 27 2014, 09:33 PM   #2922
Spider
Dirty Old Man

sojourner wrote: View Post
Spider wrote: View Post

I thought Sleepy Hollow was a silly idea for a series. Look how that turned out.
Yes, quite true. I've seen some of the episodes, and they are quite good. Another series I jeered at before I saw it was Vikings, now I'm a huge fan of that.

Old February 27 2014, 11:15 PM   #2923
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Danielle Savre & Stephen Martines Set For Lead Roles In ‘Supernatural’ Spinoff
Old February 28 2014, 01:52 AM   #2924
JD
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Deadline reports that Jonathan Rhys-Davies has joined the cast of Hieroglyph:

John Rhys-Davies (Lord of the Rings franchise) has been cast as a regular in Fox‘s 13-episode series Hieroglyph, from 20th TV and Chernin Entertainment. Set in ancient Egypt, where fantasy and reality intertwined, it follows Ambrose, a notorious thief who is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah (Reece Ritchie), navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and even a few divine sorcerers. Rhys-Davies, repped by Jeff Golenberg Management and Louisa Spring Management, will play Vocifer, Ambrose’s one-time mentor who was a dashing thief back in his day.
Annnddddd...There's another reason look forward to this one
Great news, I'm a huge fan of his.
Old February 28 2014, 06:16 AM   #2925
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Kyle Schmid Joins NBC Drama Pilot ‘Babylon Fields’