IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2014, 12:48 AM   #2881
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Or just drop the year altogether and keep using this thread.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:14 AM   #2882
Christopher
Writer

Or -- we convince everyone else in the world to renumber this year "2013"!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:42 AM   #2883
sojourner
Admiral

All we have to do is find convincing evidence that there was a year zero.
Old February 22 2014, 02:58 AM   #2884
Christopher
Writer

^Years are arbitrary. There wasn't a year zero, one, two, fifty, one hundred, two hundred, or five hundred either; the calendar we use today wasn't invented until the year we call AD 525 and wasn't widely adopted until centuries later. Meanwhile, it's currently 1435 to the Islamic world, 5774 in the Hebrew calendar, 1935 in the Indian Civil Calendar, etc. We already call the year whatever we want to call it; it's just a matter of what excuses we use.

Old February 22 2014, 03:04 AM   #2885
sojourner
Admiral

Wow, Gosh! I never knew any of that! I thought for sure that someone sat down one day and said "this is the start of year one today".

Now, about the "what excuses we use", how about we find convincing evidence for a year zero? (whether it be real or fabricated)
Old February 22 2014, 03:09 AM   #2886
Creepy Critter
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
All we have to do is find convincing evidence that there was a year zero.
I got it. Actually kinda clever.

Old February 22 2014, 04:07 AM   #2887
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Now, about the "what excuses we use", how about we find convincing evidence for a year zero? (whether it be real or fabricated)
Well, since a calendar is simply a cultural construct, what we really need is a convincing argument for beginning it on a certain date. You don't even need a "year zero," you just need a justification for assigning a certain date as "year one." Our current "year one" isn't based on anything real anyway, since it's derived from an incorrect calculation of Jesus's birthdate; it's just a totally arbitrary year that happened to be 524 years before Dionysius Exiguus invented his calendar.

So since we're 2014 years after a completely arbitrary starting point, it's no less arbitrary to pick the following year as a starting point instead just so we don't have to go to the trouble of changing a thread title. All we have to do is convince the rest of the world to go along with our arbitrary choice. Which is pretty much how calendars spread in the first place.

Old February 22 2014, 04:28 AM   #2888
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Yeah, but it was a joke. A math joke about the thread title, no less.

But, if we're going to be serious about it, let's clarify with precision.

Christopher wrote: View Post
So since we're 2014 years after a completely arbitrary starting point
Right now, we are not 2014 years after any point in time that lies within the year 1 CE (or any other point in time in the Common Era, for that matter). This is what's often so confusing to people, and why people intuitively perceive a "need" to have a year zero to start things off.

In actuality, this is the 2014st year on (the CE part of) the calendar; 1 CE was the first such year. At the very end of December 31, 2014, it will be 2014 years since the very beginning of January 1, 1. Until that time, it's been only 2013 years and some change since the beginning of year 1, and less since any other part of year 1 (or any other point in the CE that has already occurred).
Old February 22 2014, 05:54 AM   #2889
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

NBC's DC Comics Pilot Constantine Casts Lead

Welsh actor Matt Ryan will play the title role in the potential series
Old February 22 2014, 11:05 AM   #2890
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Hmm. Coincidence?

Today, Conspiracy Studios announced pre-production of the new TV series In Search Of Year Zero. The live-action series, set for a fall 2014 [a.k.a. 2013] debut, will depict the desperate quest of Spiro "Zero" Nero, who, mocked as a child for his belief that the 21st century began in the year 2000, set off on a lifelong odyssey to prove the reality of a Year Zero. What he finds leads him to a millennia-old conspiracy that threatens the very existence of humanity and he soon realizes that only he can save the world. Producers describe the show as "dark," "edgy," and "mathematically challenged."
Old February 25 2014, 05:55 AM   #2891
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Lily Rabe To Topline In ABC Drama Pilot ‘The Visitors’, Catalina Denis To Co-Star

Skeet Ulrich To Co-Star In NBC Pilot ‘Babylon Fields’

Mykelti Williamson To Star In ABC Pilot ‘Clementine’
Old February 25 2014, 09:05 PM   #2892
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hallmark has picked up The Good Witch, starring Catherine Bell, as a weekly series. It's heretofore been a series of telemovies. Deadline's report is here.

Casting for the CW's iZombie as reported by Deadline:

Breakout Kings alum Malcolm Goodwin has been cast as a co-lead in Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero’s CW drama pilot iZombie, from Warner Bros. TV. Also cast in the DC comic adaptation are Last Man Standing alumna Alexandra Krosney, and AliasDavid Anders. iZombie is a supernatural crime procedural that centers on Liv, a med student-turned-zombie who takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective (Goodwin), she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.Goodwin’s Clive is a detective who recently received a promotion from vice to homicide but has been floundering for his first two months and is in desperate need of making a case. Though dubious at first about Liv’s “psychic” powers, she demonstrates too much accuracy for him not to take her seriously. Krosney plays Peyton, Liv’s best friend and roommate who is baffled by Liv’s recent behavior and feels like they’re drifting apart. Anders cast plays the show’s bad guy Blaine, an entitled rich kid who bites off more than he can chew in the drug business.
Old February 25 2014, 09:47 PM   #2893
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Sindatur wrote: View Post
All this genre stuff is great news, but, can't we get just one Space Opera with Space travel and Aliens and such?
This. A thousand times this. I am bored to death of most of todays TV stuff and want a show about ships in space. Hell, at this point, I'd take Dracula in a starship.

Or, the Underworld series set far in the future with the wolves and vamps in epic space battles.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 11:45 PM   #2894
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Syfy has cancelled Being Human after a four-season run.

Here's how things stand now for the SFF shows on the broadcast networks that are in at least some danger of cancellation:

Toss-up to be renewed

Almost Human (Fox)
Revolution (NBC)
The Tomorrow People (CW)

Likely to be cancelled

Dracula (NBC)

Highly likely to be cancelled

Beauty and the Beast (CW)
Intelligence (CBS)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (ABC)
Star-Crossed (CW)
Old February 25 2014, 11:48 PM   #2895
Christopher
Writer

What's your basis for putting Star-Crossed in the "highly likely to be cancelled" category when it's only been on the air two weeks? Did it perform that badly in the ratings?