RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 373
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 23 2014, 08:03 PM   #2776
sojourner
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Sliders 2.0?
Old January 24 2014, 01:25 AM   #2777
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's how I see things as they now stand for the SFF shows on the US broadcast networks based on closely following the ratings:

Renewed or highly likely to be renewed

Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
Arrow (CW)
Grimm (NBC)
Once Upon a Time (ABC)
The Originals (CW)
Person of Interest (CBS)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
Supernatural (CW)
Under the Dome (CBS; summer series)
The Vampire Diaries (CW)

On the bubble (50/50 shot at renewal)

Almost Human (Fox)
Revolution (NBC)
The Tomorrow People (CW)

Highly likely to be cancelled

Beauty and the Beast (CW)
Dracula (NBC)
Intelligence (CBS)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (ABC - sometimes billed as a limited series, but the intention was for it to continue had the ratings been good enough)

Haven't aired yet

The 100 (CW)
Believe (NBC)
Resurrection (ABC)
Star-Crossed (CW)

Note: edited for clarity

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; January 24 2014 at 02:37 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:38 AM   #2778
Christopher
Writer

The only bubble/cancelled show on that list I would miss is Dracula. I now have two Beauty and the Beast episodes unwatched on my DVR and I don't know if I care enough anymore to watch them.

But it's impressive how much genre content there is on the broadcast networks. In particular, it's astonishing to see as many as three SF/fantasy shows on CBS in the same year.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:44 AM   #2779
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
How things stand now for the SFF shows on the US broadcast networks:

Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
Arrow (CW)
Grimm (NBC)
Once Upon a Time (ABC)
The Originals (CW)
Person of Interest (CBS)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
Supernatural (CW)
The Vampire Diaries (CW)

On the bubble

Almost Human (Fox)
Revolution (NBC)
The Tomorrow People (CW)

Cancelled or highly likely to be cancelled

Dracula (NBC)
Intelligence (CBS)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (ABC - sometimes billed as a limited series, but the intention was for it to continue had the ratings been good enough)

Haven't aired yet

The 100 (CW)
Believe (NBC)
Resurrection (ABC)
Star-Crossed (CW)
Source? Man, I'm pissed. I've been enjoying the hell out of Almost Human-and even my mother likes it, despite it being scifi. Also, Intelligence has potential and despite its flaws, I think Revolution is a ton of fun. So, source?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:52 AM   #2780
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Source? Man, I'm pissed. I've been enjoying the hell out of Almost Human-and even my mother likes it, despite it being scifi. Also, Intelligence has potential and despite its flaws, I think Revolution is a ton of fun. So, source?
My take from following the ratings closely and taking commentary on TV By the Numbers into account.
Old January 24 2014, 02:05 AM   #2781
sojourner
Admiral

So nothing confirmed.
Old January 24 2014, 02:09 AM   #2782
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Oh, I forgot to say that the shows I listed earlier are the one-hour shows on the broadcast networks. In terms of half-hour shows, there's also The Neighbors on ABC, which is likely headed for cancellation.
sojourner wrote: View Post
So nothing confirmed.
Sleepy Hollow is confirmed as renewed. Aside from that, it's an "as things stand now" list based on the observable cancellation thresholds of the various networks in various timeslots.
Old January 24 2014, 02:19 AM   #2783
Harvey
Admiral

I thought that was evident by labeling them as being "on the bubble." In other words, no decision has been reached. Although it might make more sense if the shows that have been actually removed were separated from the ones that will probably be back.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:28 AM   #2784
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I thought that was evident by labeling them as being "on the bubble." In other words, no decision has been reached. Although it might make more sense if the shows that have been actually removed were separated from the ones that will probably be back.
"On the bubble" here means that a show's chances of renewal are about 50/50. So you have a division into shows that are likely to return, shows that are a toss-up to return and shows that are likely to be cancelled. I'll edit in some changes to my earlier post for greater clarity.
Old January 24 2014, 04:29 AM   #2785
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

ABC has ordered The Visitors, based on Ray Bradbury's short story "Zero Hour", to pilot. You can read Deadline's report here.

Edit to add: ABC has also ordered Forever, which is about an immortal medical examiner, to pilot. You can read Deadline's report here.
Old January 24 2014, 04:51 AM   #2786
Christopher
Writer

Hmm, the premise of "Zero Hour" could make for an effectively creepy series: Children playing a game with "imaginary friends" who turn out to be aliens using the children as a means of invading the Earth. Although The Visitors is a lame title and too reminiscent of V. Unfortunately we just had a TV series called Zero Hour (although a short-lived and reportedly dreadful one), so I guess they had to change the title. But I hope they come up with a better alternative before it airs.

Old January 24 2014, 10:22 AM   #2787
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
E4 have commissioned an alternative reality show called Alt:

E4 have announced details of their new drama pilot ALT.

The 60-minute pilot - written by Jamie Mathieson (Being Human, FAQ About Time Travel) - enters production this month, and will be directed by Ben Caron (My Mad Fat Diary).

ALT stars Gethin Anthony (Game of Thrones) as 24-year-old Danny, who finds himself transported to a parallel universe with his ex-best friend Milo, played by Craig Roberts (Submarine).

The full synopsis for the new drama reads: "Imagine: that mate you dumped months ago because he's a tool, rings you out of the blue and asks for help. You go round and he's tripping. Banging on about parallel worlds and killers with swords and you're not really listening to be honest.

"And the next thing you know the world's changed. Literally changed. Your girlfriend, who was kind of the love of your life, no longer even recognises you. Dead relatives are suddenly alive again. And someone who looks just like you is living your life. Badly."

I wonder if it's the show's publicist or just the news site that can't be bothered to proofread their blurbs.

Last edited by RJDiogenes; January 24 2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Clarity-- didn't notice the next page.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 04:17 PM   #2788
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Here's how I see things as they now stand for the SFF shows on the US broadcast networks based on closely following the ratings:

Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
Arrow (CW)
Grimm (NBC)
Once Upon a Time (ABC)
The Originals (CW)
Person of Interest (CBS)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
Supernatural (CW)
The Vampire Diaries (CW)

On the bubble (50/50 shot at renewal)

Almost Human (Fox)
Revolution (NBC)
The Tomorrow People (CW)

Highly likely to be cancelled

Dracula (NBC)
Intelligence (CBS)

Haven't aired yet

The 100 (CW)
Believe (NBC)
Resurrection (ABC)
Star-Crossed (CW)

Note: edited for clarity
The 100 reminds me children of the corn meets lord of the flies.
I am happy with all the renewed shows. I am hoping dracula will be picked up.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 07:42 PM   #2789
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Casting news for Tin Man from Deadline:

Kara Killmer has been cast as a series regular in the NBC pilot Tin Man, a futuristic thriller drama from feature writer Ehren Kruger. Set in the near future, it centers on robot Adam Sentry (Patrick Heusinger), accused of the first-degree murder of his creator, Charles Vale, and the female public defender forced to fight for his cause. Killmer, repped by APA and Kelly Tiffan Management, will play Athena True, Vale’s synthetic robotic companion, a gorgeous and provocative seductress modeled to exactly resemble Vale’s late wife. She claims to be an eyewitness of Adam murdering Vale, but the truth may be a lot more complicated.
Old January 24 2014, 07:54 PM   #2790
Christopher
Writer

Wait a minute... A robot named Adam is on trial for the murder of his creator whose name is Charles? That's Eando Binder's "I, Robot." Or, rather, the Outer Limits adaptation thereof, since there was no trial in the original story. Both versions of the Outer Limits adaptation, in the original and revival series, focused on the defense attorney as the main character.

It sounds like this is an adaptation of "I, Robot," but I can't find any articles stating that this is based on the work of Binder or Outer Limits screenwriter Robert C. Dennis, who added the trial element and the attorney character. Hopefully that's just an oversight on the part of the press.