Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 04:46 AM   #2476
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

JD wrote: View Post
So would that make it a show for next summer or next fall?
Probably summer if it gets picked up.
Old July 23 2013, 04:30 PM   #2477
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Syfy is developing an adaptation of 12 Monkeys as a potential series. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Feature film producers Chuck Roven and Richard Suckle of Atlas Entertainment -- one of the production companies on board the Universal film -- submitted the pitch, which is being eyed as a 90-minute backdoor pilot that would eventually lead to a straight-to-series order in a fashion similar to Syfy's Battlestar Galactica. Terry Matalas (Nikita, Terra Nova, Star Trek: Enterprise) and Travis Fickett(Nikita, Terra Nova) will pen the script, with 24's Jon Cassar on board to direct the project, which hails from Universal Cable Productions.
Syfy's Mark Stern spoke to THR about their plans in general:

"We're looking at short orders, maybe eight to 10 [episodes] as opposed to 13," Stern said. "Some may be [split runs of] 10 and 10. Our goal is to do five or six original scripted series a year and a big tentpole event miniseries that could also possibly serve as a backdoor pilot to a series as well, the way that Battlestar Galactica did. It's an exciting time for us."

"We're really trying to figure out what our next year is going to be," he added. "We have Helix in January; we're trying to figure out what our summer series is going to be. We have a lot of different options. We know that Defiance is going to come back in the summer, and the last six episodes of Warehouse 13 are going to be back along with Defiance. Then there's this big gray zone after that of what follows. We definitely have a miniseries we want to try to do for December of 2014 -- Jamie Foxx's is a series of half-hours we might do for Halloween of 2014. We're looking to do a big four-hour miniseries -- a tentpole mini -- at the end of 2014, and we're trying to figure out what that's going to be."

"We have a half-dozen scripts that are all pretty amazing in their own way," Stern said of Syfy's development pipeline. "It's a return to our roots in terms of science fiction: cool, interesting push-the-genre science fiction. Some we're looking at doing straight to series, because you really want to give them the flexibility and do a closed-ended, arced run. Some of them are going to be traditional pilots, and then we'll decide and they may be a bit more episodic."
Old July 23 2013, 10:26 PM   #2478
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sounds good, but we'll see what the payoff is.
Old July 24 2013, 03:07 AM   #2479
JD
Admiral

Yeah, if they do actually do this it could be cool. It would be nice to see more scripted Sci-Fi/Fantasy on Syfy.
Old July 24 2013, 04:16 AM   #2480
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Irish actress Ruth Bradley has been cast as the lead in Horizon, Gale Anne Hurd's sci-fi pilot for the USA Network. Meg Steedle has been cast in a supporting role. Here's the description of the show:

Set during the height of World War II, Horizon centers on a secretary at the FBI who discovers that her husband might have been killed in a battle with a spaceship in the South Pacific. Obsessed with learning the truth, she becomes the only person standing between Earth and an alien invasion.
Old July 24 2013, 06:46 AM   #2481
sojourner
Admiral

Ooooo, period piece. That could be fun!
Old July 25 2013, 04:05 AM   #2482
JD
Admiral

Yeah, that does sound pretty cool. I think that is the most interesting I've found a short description like that in a while.
Old July 25 2013, 05:53 AM   #2483
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Cary Elwes To Star In USA Pilot 'Horizon'

Elwes will play Max Hartman, a mysterious man who leads a double life in wartime DC.
Old July 26 2013, 05:24 AM   #2484
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Syfy Gives Pilot Order To ‘Dominion’ As Quartet Of Other Projects Heat Up

Syfy has greenlighted a 90-minute pilot for Dominion, a drama based on characters from the 2010 feature Legion, which starred Paul Bettany.

In addition to Dominion, Syfy has narrowed the field for more pickups as I hear the network is considering both pilot and straight-to-series orders. Said to be at the top of the list are four projects, at least one of which is expected to go straight to series.The quartet includes another movie adaptation, 12 Monkeys, from writers Terry Matalas & Travis Fickett, director Jon Cassar and Atlas Entertainment; Clandestine, from actor-writer Todd Stashwick and artist Dennis Calero, described as a swashbuckling space drama/adventure revolving around mercenaries who masquerade as part of an intergalactic fleet; Proof, from Marti Noxon and M. Night Shyamalan, about the son of a billionaire tech genius who offers a large reward for anyone who can find proof of life after death; and Sojourn, from Phil Levens, Jason Blum and Lionsgate, about a space detective tasked with investigating a murder on a starship.
Old July 26 2013, 09:50 AM   #2485
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Looks like RHW's Defender is definitely dead, but at least we've got a couple of space-based shows in the running.

As for the others-- they don't sound too exciting, but we'll have to see how they develop.
Old July 26 2013, 02:20 PM   #2486
Christopher
Writer

I recognize those two space projects from the April press release. But it sounds like the prospects are fading for Orion, the premise about "an adventurous female relic hunter" against an interstellar-war backdrop, and Infinity, Javier Grillo-Marxuach's lost-in-space premise. Perhaps they felt Infinity was too derivative of Farscape or other similar ideas, though I'm sure JGM would've found a fresh twist on it.

As for Defender, that apparently died a while ago. The April announcement mentioned that RHW was developing an alternate-world fantasy called Silver Shields.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 05:03 PM   #2487
Terror Door
Lieutenant Commander

Since RHW recently joined the writing staff of Star-Crossed, does that mean Silver Shields is also dead? Or is it normal for writers to join other shows while still pitching their own projects?
Terror Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 10:36 PM   #2488
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Sojourn is the generational ship show, right?

As much as I like to see any Bryan Fuller show, I'm glad he's focusing on Hannibal instead of splitting his time with High Moon (which didn't really grab my interest when I read its tiny blurb in the SyFy press release).

Fingers crossed for the space shows still in the running.
Sto-Vo-Kory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:16 PM   #2489
Christopher
Writer

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Sojourn is the generational ship show, right?
I believe so, yes. Although isn't there another generation-ship show in development on another network? Maybe I'm thinking of The CW's The Hundred or whatever that's called.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 12:20 AM   #2490
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I believe so, yes. Although isn't there another generation-ship show in development on another network? Maybe I'm thinking of The CW's The Hundred or whatever that's called.
Thanks for the confirmation on Sojourn, Christopher.

As for the 100 show, it sounds more like a space station in orbit over Earth since the apocalypse nearly a century prior. Since it's just parked in orbit, does that still qualify as a generation-ship? Or does that designation only apply to vehicles on a long journey TO somewhere?

[When I was looking up the 100, I knew it was based on a book series (knowing the CW, presumably a young adult novel series) but I was surprised to learn that the first book in the series hasn't even been released yet. According to Amazon, it comes out in September with the first handful of chapters available for free download in a few weeks.]
Sto-Vo-Kory is online now   Reply With Quote