RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 426
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 11 2013, 02:37 AM   #2326
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Syfy has a pretty full slate of programming for the next year or so. Of the shows in script development, we'll probably only see one or two ordered to pilot a year from now.
Old April 11 2013, 09:43 AM   #2327
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Lots of interesting news. The Space Operas sound vaguely interesting, though I'm very disappointed that Defender was not picked up.

But here we have some fantastic news:

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Ringworld and Childhood's End miniseries in the works at SyFy!

Michael Perry (The River, Paranormal Activity 2) is adapting Ringworld as a four-hour miniseries. The story follows a team of explorers that travel to the farthest reaches of space to investigate an alien artifact called Ringworld – an artificial habitat the size of one million Earths. As they crash land on this enormous structure, they discover the remnants of ancient civilizations, technology beyond their wildest dreams, mysteries that shed light on the very origins of man and, most importantly, a possible salvation for a doomed Earth.

Childhood’s End will be executive produced by Michael DeLuca (The Social Network) and follows a peaceful alien invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords, whose arrival ends all war and turns the planet into a near-utopia.
I really hope they can do these classics justice.
Old April 11 2013, 04:35 PM   #2328
Christopher
Writer

Given Syfy's track record with miniseries adaptations of novels, I'm not optimistic about Ringworld and Childhood's End turning out well.

But I'll take heart from something Greg Cox told me once or twice: That even a bad screen adaptation of a novel will still bring new recognition and popularity to the novel itself, and new royalties to the author (or his heirs, if Clarke has any). So however these miniseries turn out, it's still a good thing that they're being made.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:28 PM   #2329
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Infinity is ripped out of the headlines, with all of these techno-philanthropists and private startups forming space based companies or giving money to research. Kind of a cool idea.

RAMA
Old April 11 2013, 08:17 PM   #2330
xortex
Commodore

Well they went ffrom none to too many mediocre ones. It makes sense. They have to justify their $1000 suits. They're sly-flys now.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 10:40 PM   #2331
RJDiogenes

Christopher wrote: View Post
Given Syfy's track record with miniseries adaptations of novels, I'm not optimistic about Ringworld and Childhood's End turning out well.
I don't think they've ever adapted a novel I cared about before, so I don't know. But the original mini-series that they used to do have been pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old April 12 2013, 01:56 AM   #2332
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

News on S.H.I.E.L.D.

The title might get changed, probably for annoying legal reasons, not because there's anything wrong with it:

The issue could be the title’s similarity to FX’s former cop series The Shield. Perhaps all those periods aren’t enough to distinguish S.H.I.E.L.D. from The Shield, either from a legal or marketing perspective.
Legal perspective maybe. Nobody in the real world is likely to get the two shows confused.

Press release description:

Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D. He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown. That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 02:04 AM   #2333
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Other branches of the speculative fiction world are getting the royal treatment, too: Jamie Foxx will exec produce, write and direct a Tales From the Crypt-style half-hour horror anthology (no title yet) set to premiere in October. And (again, both in development) Scott Stewart will produce and direct a spin-off of the Paul Bettany movie Legion, called Dominion; while Robert Zemeckis will produce No Place, about a high-tech gated community that seems to exist outside reality.
There's a space opera show from Walking Dead producer Gale Ann Hurd in development, an urban fantasy series called Silver Shields—the slate looks like the table of contents from an issue of Locus.
http://m.adweek.com/news/television/...e-foxx-series-

Silver shields? Space opera?!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 02:08 AM   #2334
Christopher
Writer

^The comma is misleading. Those are two different shows being referenced in that sentence. Hurd's space opera is Clandestine.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:42 AM   #2335
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Clandestine

Christopher wrote: View Post
^The comma is misleading. Those are two different shows being referenced in that sentence. Hurd's space opera is Clandestine.
Here is info on it:
Clandestine

After a clan of bandits are nearly destroyed and left for dead by Coalition forces, they take refuge in the nearest safe haven, a derelict Coalition starship floating in space. Once onboard, they masquerade as Coalition officers while continuing their criminal ways – until they stumble upon a shocking realization about the true nature of the Coalition.

Also
Sojourn
Sojourn

The first detective ever in space is tasked with investigating a murder on a starship — headed to colonize another planet – and instead becomes embroiled in a vast conspiracy involving a mysterious terrible crime dating back to the original launch of the ship 50 years ago.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/...or-high-orbit/

Synopsis of 6 shows at the link.

Also the Starz alien planet-based scifi show "Incursion" major info here

'Incursion,' Starz's Sci-Fi War Drama, Will Have A Female Lead
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_3054897.html
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 09:17 AM   #2336
RJDiogenes

I'm interested in the Crypt-style anthology, but it's nice to see a half-hour show for a change-- but won't they need another half-hour show to pair it with?
Old April 12 2013, 10:50 AM   #2337
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Not genre but I am hoping 'Reign' makes it through.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 01:07 AM   #2338
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's an interview with Ron Moore about Helix, his upcoming Syfy show.
Old April 14 2013, 12:12 AM   #2339
Borgminister

Lost meets Walking Dead?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 01:34 AM   #2340
JD
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I'm interested in the Crypt-style anthology, but it's nice to see a half-hour show for a change-- but won't they need another half-hour show to pair it with?
They could always just show two episodes back to back like they do with most syndicated sitcoms.