RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 811
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2013, 02:32 PM   #2281
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

GoT is based on a series of books that has multiple POV characters and lots of sex and violence. So if it's complicated with too many characters and plotlines or has too much nudity and gore, blame the source material.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:45 PM   #2282
sojourner
Vice Admiral

degra wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Game of Thrones is a failure?? Someone should tell HBO.
GoT imo is a creative failure..
Ah, Ok, your opinion. Guess what? It's a minority opinion.
Old April 9 2013, 06:05 PM   #2283
stj
Rear Admiral

The mediaevalish background reeks so much I can't watch the series. Also, people being mean isn't so entertaining, if you don't identify with the villains at least. So it's not that minority an opinion even here.

And although the series has a fairly high viewership for premium cable, I don't think it even gets a majority of HBO subscribers. It certainly doesn't seem to have inspired a lemming-like rush to buy HBO amongst the millions. In the whole context, Game of Thrones is still a minority taste.
Old April 9 2013, 06:20 PM   #2284
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Game of Thrones currently has HBO's second biggest audience (after True Blood) and is HBO's biggest moneymaker in worldwide revenue.
Old April 9 2013, 06:27 PM   #2285
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

And as far as being a "creative failure," Hollywood measures that sort of thing in Emmy nominations & wins, maybe the Globes count for something too despite being widely regarded as a drunken travesty, and the various guild awards are certainly respected. GoT has not done too poorly in that regards.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 06:27 PM   #2286
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
The mediaevalish background reeks so much I can't watch the series. Also, people being mean isn't so entertaining, if you don't identify with the villains at least. So it's not that minority an opinion even here.

And although the series has a fairly high viewership for premium cable, I don't think it even gets a majority of HBO subscribers. It certainly doesn't seem to have inspired a lemming-like rush to buy HBO amongst the millions. In the whole context, Game of Thrones is still a minority taste.
Apparently the latest ratings put it over 5.3m on HBO and over 1.3m on Sky, plus over a million illegal downloads in 2 days. I'd say it's fairly popular.
Old April 9 2013, 06:59 PM   #2287
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The second season of Game of Thrones averaged 11.6 million viewers per episode in the US with repeats and HBO Go factored in. This season should rise to more than 12 million viewers per episode.
Old April 9 2013, 07:08 PM   #2288
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

For comparison purposes, on NBC Grimm is getting about 5M viewers with Revolution getting 6M and both are solid for renewal. GoT requires a pricey subscription yet gets twice the numbers as a successful show on free TV. And piracy of the show is off the charts. Yeah, it's popular and a critical success.
Old April 9 2013, 09:06 PM   #2289
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Speaking of HBO, Vulture has news about The Leftovers:

Damon Lindelof's HBO adaptation of Tom Perrotta's rapture novel The Leftovers has tapped Friday Night Lights, Hancock, and Rihanna's Battleship director Peter Berg for the pilot. Filming is set to begin in New York in June, with a 2014 premiere eyed. "The pilot will introduce characters and storylines not in the book. It has to," Lindelof told Vulture last summer. "The book is so rich in characters and details ... and opens so many creative doors. But it probably only has enough content for two or three episodes."
Old April 9 2013, 10:28 PM   #2290
stj
Rear Admiral

There seems to be some confusion about what the widest context is.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBO

As of September 2012[update], HBO's programming reaches approximately 30 million pay television subscribers in the United States
As I surmised, Game of Thrones doesn't even get a majority of the HBO subscriber base. I was surprised to find that True Blood is #1. Game of Thrones wild popularity hasn't even made HBO the #1 premium cable, which turns out to be Encore. In my home, Encore is packaged with HBO. It and True Blood have kept HBO on the bill. And if the new showrunner on True Blood isn't up to it, HBO will be losing a subscriber.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

As of August 27, 2012, there are an estimated 114.2 million television households in the United States....
Lowballing the number of people per household at one, Game of Thrones is getting 10%.

There also seems to be some confusion between artistic success and popular success. Vox populi tells us Game of Thrones is doing something right to entertain lots of people. I suggest sex and violence is the main sell, as is usually the case with the supposedly better writing on cable. I wasn't a medievalist but I knew enough not to swallow the Game of Thrones' society as grounded in human reality, instead of old melodramas. I suspect there series is much more compelling to people who know even less than I.
Old April 9 2013, 10:51 PM   #2291
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The entertainment marketplace is now so fragmented that even the most successful shows aren't watched by 80-90% of the US population. Game of Thrones is a commercial hit, one of the biggest on cable. That's a fact. It's also largely been well-reviewed by critics. If any particular individual disagrees and thinks the show is a creative failure, well, knock yourself out.
Old April 9 2013, 11:21 PM   #2292
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

As of August 27, 2012, there are an estimated 114.2 million television households in the United States....
Lowballing the number of people per household at one, Game of Thrones is getting 10%.
I'm sorry, are you trying to argue that's a small number of viewers?
Old April 9 2013, 11:32 PM   #2293
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

In my home, Encore is packaged with HBO. It and True Blood have kept HBO on the bill. And if the new showrunner on True Blood isn't up to it, HBO will be losing a subscriber.
Every place I've ever lived, Encore is packaged with Starz! and Cinemax is usually packaged with HBO.
Old April 9 2013, 11:42 PM   #2294
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The entertainment marketplace is now so fragmented that even the most successful shows aren't watched by 80-90% of the US population. Game of Thrones is a commercial hit, one of the biggest on cable. That's a fact. It's also largely been well-reviewed by critics. If any particular individual disagrees and thinks the show is a creative failure, well, knock yourself out.
Bingo. Of all the shows that could be argued to be a financial or creative hit, GoT is not one of them.
Old April 10 2013, 05:05 AM   #2295
stj
Rear Admiral

Guess what? It's a minority opinion.
Game of Thrones currently has HBO's second biggest audience (after True Blood) and is HBO's biggest moneymaker in worldwide revenue.
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Apparently the latest ratings put it over 5.3m on HBO and over 1.3m on Sky, plus over a million illegal downloads in 2 days. I'd say it's fairly popular.
The second season of Game of Thrones averaged 11.6 million viewers per episode in the US with repeats and HBO Go factored in. This season should rise to more than 12 million viewers per episode.
[

I'm sorry, are you trying to argue that's a small number of viewers?
The people who don't watch Game of Thrones is the majority of the people who could watch. Thus, the opinion that it's good is still a minority opinion. The moral of the story is not that someone needs to make innumerate posts. The moral is that most programming is now a minority taste. And that means it is crazy to try to claim creative quality on grounds only a minority disagrees. Observations about fragmented audiences and the resulting viability of niche programming are not only irrelevant, but actually reinforce the point.

As to critical success? I've never seen a positive review that took Game of Thrones seriously enough to bother discussing the themes, the characters, the setting, the dialogue or much of anything except the sex and violence.
But if that meets your standards for critical success, knock yourself out.