Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 23 2013, 08:54 PM   #2221
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'd rather see JRR Martin try his hand at an epic space opera saga next.
I'm still waiting for someone to film Fevre Dream, his epic Civil War vampire novel.
More Civil War vampires? Someone should do a mashup of that with Abraham Lincoln and Damon Salvatore. (Hmm that reminds me, I think I have that book on my Amazon queue.)

(
Fevre Dream is from 1982, its the other two that are johnny come latelies.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:31 AM   #2222
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
No Defender on the full list of pilots.
Well that wasn't a very full list after all, when I looked it over a second time, plenty of stuff missing that's still perfectly possible, but my hunch is Defender is a dead duck.
That figures.
Old March 26 2013, 08:40 PM   #2223
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

ABC Studios, Sonar Entertainment Team For ‘Fix It Men’ From Creator John Glenn

ABC Studios will work with Sonar to set up and produce the action-suspense series created by John Glenn (Hatfields & McCoys, Eagle Eye) about a scientist and a Special Forces soldier from the post-apocalyptic future who travel back in time to prevent Armageddon. Landing in present day, the pair morph into their younger selves as they set about altering a series of seemingly random events that form the chain leading to the catastrophe. ABC Studios will handle North American distribution and Sonar will take the rest of the world
Old March 26 2013, 10:39 PM   #2224
RJDiogenes

Isn't that the premise of Continuum?
Old March 26 2013, 10:48 PM   #2225
sojourner
Admiral

Not at all, beyond the shared use of the words "time" and "travel".
Old March 26 2013, 11:18 PM   #2226
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
ABC Studios will work with Sonar to set up and produce the action-suspense series created by John Glenn (Hatfields & McCoys, Eagle Eye) about a scientist and a Special Forces soldier from the post-apocalyptic future who travel back in time to prevent Armageddon. Landing in present day, the pair morph into their younger selves as they set about altering a series of seemingly random events that form the chain leading to the catastrophe.
No, they're completely different. Continuum's future is a corporate-ruled dystopia, not post-apocalyptic. The heroine is a lone cop rather than a scientist/soldier team, and she hasn't "morphed" into her younger self, because she's travelled back 65 years and is only in her early 30s. And she's not trying to alter history, but to preserve it against alteration by the bad guys who've also come back from her own time. In fact, it's unclear whether it's even possible to alter history, or whether the actions the characters undertake in 2012 are just part of what led to the future they came from.

Basically Continuum's premise is a lot like the old Dale Midkiff series Time Trax, albeit somewhat darker. If you wanted to formulate an elevator pitch for Fix It Men, I'd think it'd be more like "The Terminator meets Quantum Leap," since you've got time travellers trying to prevent the apocalypse and jumping into their younger bodies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 06:50 AM   #2227
JD
Admiral

ABC Studios, Sonar Entertainment Team For ‘Fix It Men’ From Creator John Glenn

ABC Studios will work with Sonar to set up and produce the action-suspense series created by John Glenn (Hatfields & McCoys, Eagle Eye) about a scientist and a Special Forces soldier from the post-apocalyptic future who travel back in time to prevent Armageddon. Landing in present day, the pair morph into their younger selves as they set about altering a series of seemingly random events that form the chain leading to the catastrophe. ABC Studios will handle North American distribution and Sonar will take the rest of the world
Could be interesting. I'm always up for a good time travel story.
Old March 27 2013, 09:41 AM   #2228
RJDiogenes

Christopher wrote: View Post
ABC Studios will work with Sonar to set up and produce the action-suspense series created by John Glenn (Hatfields & McCoys, Eagle Eye) about a scientist and a Special Forces soldier from the post-apocalyptic future who travel back in time to prevent Armageddon. Landing in present day, the pair morph into their younger selves as they set about altering a series of seemingly random events that form the chain leading to the catastrophe.
No, they're completely different. Continuum's future is a corporate-ruled dystopia, not post-apocalyptic. The heroine is a lone cop rather than a scientist/soldier team, and she hasn't "morphed" into her younger self, because she's travelled back 65 years and is only in her early 30s. And she's not trying to alter history, but to preserve it against alteration by the bad guys who've also come back from her own time. In fact, it's unclear whether it's even possible to alter history, or whether the actions the characters undertake in 2012 are just part of what led to the future they came from.

Basically Continuum's premise is a lot like the old Dale Midkiff series Time Trax, albeit somewhat darker. If you wanted to formulate an elevator pitch for Fix It Men, I'd think it'd be more like "The Terminator meets Quantum Leap," since you've got time travellers trying to prevent the apocalypse and jumping into their younger bodies.
Okay, thanks. I haven't seen Continuum, so it sounded kind of the same.
Old March 27 2013, 10:43 AM   #2229
Terror Door
Lieutenant Commander

Odyssey 5 comes to mind. People mind-travelling back in time into their younger bodies to prevent the apocalypse.
Terror Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:01 PM   #2230
Christopher
Writer

Terror Door wrote: View Post
Odyssey 5 comes to mind. People mind-travelling back in time into their younger bodies to prevent the apocalypse.
Oh yeah, that's a good comparison. I'm sure it'll approach the premise differently, of course; there are always plenty of different ways to tell a similar basic story. It sounds like in this version, the time travel is less impromptu and the characters may have a better grasp of the circumstances leading to the doomsday scenario. But that's from a one-paragraph description, so it's hard to say. Plus it's only two characters as opposed to five, which would certainly make for a different dynamic. And it's described as "action-suspense" while Odyssey 5 was more of a drama.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 06:47 PM   #2231
Belbo
Ensign

Netflix Picks Up Wachowskis/ Georgeville Sci-Fi Drama ‘Sense8? With 10-Episode Order

The Wachowskis’ new sci-fi drama project Sense8 has landed at Netflix with a 10-episode order for a debut on Netflix Instant in late 2014. The series is produced by Georgeville TV, Reliance Entertainment/Motion Picture Capital’s TV studio, in association with J. Michael Straczynski‘s Studio JMS. This marks the first foray into TV series for the Wachowski siblings, the masterminds of The Matrix franchise, who are teamed with sci-fi veteran Straczynski (Babylon 5).

Sense8
is described as “a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted” that incorporates the Wachowskis’ storytelling style. “Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. Added the Wachowskis, “We’re excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we’ve wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy.” They also shed some light on how the series was conceived. “Several years ago, we had a late-night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born.”
Interesting - I guess House of Cards really has paid off for them (fair enough, though some of the audience pandering towards the end was a little alarming). Too bad we'll have to wait 18 months or so to see it, but presumably they all have movie commitments to work around .....
Belbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:37 PM   #2232
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Continuum's future is a corporate-ruled dystopia, not post-apocalyptic
Some might argue that's the same thing.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:08 PM   #2233
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Belbo wrote: View Post
Netflix Picks Up Wachowskis/ Georgeville Sci-Fi Drama ‘Sense8? With 10-Episode Order

The Wachowskis’ new sci-fi drama project Sense8 has landed at Netflix with a 10-episode order for a debut on Netflix Instant in late 2014.
excellent news!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:38 AM   #2234
JD
Admiral

[QUOTE=Belbo;7859260]Netflix Picks Up Wachowskis/ Georgeville Sci-Fi Drama ‘Sense8? With 10-Episode Order

The Wachowskis’ new sci-fi drama project Sense8 has landed at Netflix with a 10-episode order for a debut on Netflix Instant in late 2014. The series is produced by Georgeville TV, Reliance Entertainment/Motion Picture Capital’s TV studio, in association with J. Michael Straczynski‘s Studio JMS. This marks the first foray into TV series for the Wachowski siblings, the masterminds of The Matrix franchise, who are teamed with sci-fi veteran Straczynski (Babylon 5).
That is one hell of a combo. I'm definitely interested.
Old March 28 2013, 05:46 PM   #2235
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

[QUOTE=JD;7861537]
Belbo wrote: View Post
That is one hell of a combo. I'm definitely interested.
Me as well. I wonder how Netflix makes this financially viable whereas network TV cannot seem to 'afford,' these types of shows? Makes no sense.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote