MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2012, 06:03 PM   #1711
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

xortex wrote: View Post
Those are all horror to me. I was just watching Starship Troopers, my favorite sci-fi film and even it's end degenerated into gratuitous horror instead of smart sci-fi. Did we learn anything about the bugs or ourselves in the end? No. i would like to rewrite that ending to be more thought provoking, thoughtful and insightful. I guess it's a matter of intent and the disgression of the programmers of sy-fy, etc.. Once again though we're talking about the lowest common denominator (demon eater) here $ and ratings.
Hmmm...You must've watched a different version of Starship Troopers, than I did, because they did capture a Giant "Lady Parts" bug, and Sky Marshall Doogie did use his Telepathic Voodoo to learn about the Bugs. And the whole movie is a Fascism Satire, so of course we learn something about Mankind and ideologies through self examination.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 10:35 PM   #1712
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The problem here is that there are two separate things under discussion: The definition of terms and whether multiple terms can be applied to one thing. The answer, of course, is that multiple can be applied to one thing. The confusion arises, in part, because in TV and movies things that are labeled Science Fiction are really Horror or Action or Fantasy with either secondary SF elements or simply the use of SF tropes. This gives people the wrong idea about what SF means.

Incidentally, there is a dedicated Horror channel called Chiller. Also, there is Fear.net, which is available on On Demand on Comcast, and perhaps elsewhere.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
^^ And, hopefully, RHW's new show. Defender, I think it is.
Considering the lack of news, it's highly unlikely it will materialize.
I hope that's not the case.
Old October 12 2012, 06:59 PM   #1713
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Another Alice in Wonderland series in development.

(For those keeping score, it's NBC vs CW.)

I dunno, I think NBC should leave the fairy tale style shows to the CW and ABC and go for something with more guy appeal. The Munsters reboot was the right idea, but maybe go with a monster themed show that's more horrific and less cute & funny.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 06:04 AM   #1714
JD
Admiral

I don't hold The CW in as much disdain as a lot of people around here (Nikita, Supernatural, and The Vampire Diaries are some of my favorite shows), but this one does some sound a little more interesting than what I've heard about The CW version.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 12:36 AM   #1715
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Another Alice in Wonderland series in development.

(For those keeping score, it's NBC vs CW.)

I dunno, I think NBC should leave the fairy tale style shows to the CW and ABC and go for something with more guy appeal. The Munsters reboot was the right idea, but maybe go with a monster themed show that's more horrific and less cute & funny.
The bigger news is ABC Studios making a show for NBC. If that trend continues maybe CBS would make a Star Trek show for NBC, Fox, or TNT.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 01:03 AM   #1716
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^that happens all the time.
Old October 14 2012, 02:45 AM   #1717
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Given the
news today, here's how we get Star Trek back on TV: kill off a well liked character In the next movie (could be Spock, but if Karl Urban will do TV, McCoy's a great choice) and then use that to leverage interest in that character as the TV lead, however it can be contrived.
Old October 14 2012, 03:34 AM   #1718
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Given the
news today, here's how we get Star Trek back on TV: kill off a well liked character In the next movie (could be Spock, but if Karl Urban will do TV, McCoy's a great choice) and then use that to leverage interest in that character as the TV lead, however it can be contrived.
It should be Sulu, because Cho does TV and everyone will get that Captain Sulu series they yammer on about.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 03:46 AM   #1719
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I could go with a Sulu show.

1313 Mockingbird Lane trailer:

Old October 15 2012, 05:46 PM   #1720
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Defiance teaser:

Hard to get a read on that one yet. Trying to ape the nuBSG style, at least in the teaser, perhaps in the show, might backfire on them by setting expectations too high. I'll be looking for an answer to the question: Why Should I Care?
Old October 15 2012, 05:52 PM   #1721
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I am really liking the look of Defiance. I've seen some of their longer production videos, as well, and they have a pretty interesting visual for the kind of human/alien hybridity in Earth's cities. The more unashamedly outre stuff makes it feel different from say the generically post-apocalyptic America of Walking Dead and Falling Skies..
Old October 15 2012, 07:17 PM   #1722
Christopher
Writer

Kegg wrote: View Post
I am really liking the look of Defiance.
I had just the opposite reaction. It looked like they were dropping cut scenes from the video game right into the show, which is really cheesy and fake-looking, and their prosthetic-makeup aliens look barely any different from human.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 07:20 PM   #1723
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
their prosthetic-makeup aliens look barely any different from human.
I enjoy this thing called Star Trek and it's been a while since I've seen a trailer to something which has aliens like that, so that is part of what I liked.
Old October 15 2012, 07:42 PM   #1724
Christopher
Writer

At least most Trek aliens have more alienness than just painted skin and tinted contact lenses. Okay, that woman in the trailer also seems to have a bit of a prosthetic piece to widen the bridge of her nose, but it's so subtle it's easy to overlook. Keep in mind, this is a show from the creator of Farscape, so it's hard to avoid comparisons to the elaborate alien designs they had there.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 07:57 PM   #1725
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
At least most Trek aliens have more alienness than just painted skin and tinted contact lenses.
In terms of some races - Klingons, Cardassians, Ferengi - sure. But many of Star Trek's alien races have involved minimal facepaint, some forehead markings... or - usually on the original show - just different clothing compared to the Enterprise crew.

The woman with the broadened nose reminds me a bit of Dureena from Crusade, but that may be just me.

Keep in mind, this is a show from the creator of Farscape, so it's hard to avoid comparisons to the elaborate alien designs they had there.
This is true. Although most of that IIRC was due to the Henson company's involvement - I don't just mean the puppets, but also D'Argo's prosthetics.

Though O'Bannon is also behind Alien Nation, which also had a very distinctive look for the titular aliens. But I do still basically like the alien looks here. They're not amazing, but they're not bad.