Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2012, 11:53 PM   #1696
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

stj wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And the same applies to authors, of course. How do you categorize authors like Tim Powers or Graham Joyce, or even Ellison, Leiber, Matheson, Sturgeon, etcetera?

But I suppose we're digressing a bit from "tv development news," so let's just note that sf, fantasy, and horror have blurred together on TV since the glory days of The Twilight Zone . . . .
Matheson was primarily a horror writer.
I feel obliged to point out that Richard is still in the present tense. He's currently developing a Broadway musical version of Somewhere in Time and his last novel, Other Kingdoms, was published just last year.

(It's an historical fantasy-romance with horror elements.)

Matheson is hard to classify. Yes, I've certainly described him as "the grand master of horror and suspense" when it fit the book, but he's also written westerns, a very good novel about World War II, some metaphysical stuff, and even a fair amount of science fiction, including such stories as "Third from the Sun," "The Invaders," and "Steel." (I think robot boxers qualifies as scifi!)

For the record, he stubbornly resists being labeled a horror writer . . . even though I still slap Stephen King quotes on most of his covers.

Last edited by Greg Cox; October 11 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 11:50 AM   #1697
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Good for him...but my ghoulish burial alive of him is fittingly horrific.

(And the horror novel whose title I inexplicably omitted was of course I Am Legend.)

Isn't a romance/horror hybrid a Gothic?
Old October 11 2012, 12:43 PM   #1698
xortex
Commodore

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
My classical station plays the better sort of movie scores - John Williams, LOTR etc - largely because the listeners approve of that kind of expansion of the definition of "classical music."

I used to listen to a classical music station that switched to jazz in the evenings. And I wouldn't mind if they started playing minimalism like Philip Glass, who certainly deserved to be counted as a serious, not pop, musician. (But I know the guy's stuff is not universally liked.)

For me, classical, jazz, minimalism and the best movie scores all fall under the same general category of "serious music." So I can easily see how someone might lump horror, sci fi and fantasy together without worrying too much about boundaries.
I can see a horror/fantasy channel that utilizes elements of sci-fi but a sci-fi channel should try to keep sci-fi separate from jazz and hip hop. Integrity of the material and the programming standards (discretion) like the pirahnnas and mutant sharks.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:13 PM   #1699
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

xortex wrote: View Post
Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
My classical station plays the better sort of movie scores - John Williams, LOTR etc - largely because the listeners approve of that kind of expansion of the definition of "classical music."

I used to listen to a classical music station that switched to jazz in the evenings. And I wouldn't mind if they started playing minimalism like Philip Glass, who certainly deserved to be counted as a serious, not pop, musician. (But I know the guy's stuff is not universally liked.)

For me, classical, jazz, minimalism and the best movie scores all fall under the same general category of "serious music." So I can easily see how someone might lump horror, sci fi and fantasy together without worrying too much about boundaries.
I can see a horror/fantasy channel that utilizes elements of sci-fi but a sci-fi channel should try to keep sci-fi separate from jazz and hip hop. Integrity of the material and the programming standards (discretion) like the pirahnnas and mutant sharks.
See, you slipped and proved the point against yourself there. Once you start talking mutant sharks, you put a scientific gloss over it and it becomes science fiction.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:35 PM   #1700
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Okay, what about ALIEN and its sequels? Heck, most of the classic scifi films of the 1950s had strong horror elements: THE THING, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, THEM!, THE FLY, IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, THE BLOB, etc.

Scifi and horror have been bound at the hip since the days of Mary Shelley and H. G. Wells. What about THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU and THE INVISIBLE MAN? Or the blood-sucking Martians in THE WAR OF THE WORLDS or the cannibalistic Morlocks in the THE TIME MACHINE . . . ?
Old October 11 2012, 03:37 PM   #1701
xortex
Commodore

Those are all horror to me. I was just watching Starship Troopers, my favorite sci-fi film and even it's end degenerated into gratuitous horror instead of smart sci-fi. Did we learn anything about the bugs or ourselves in the end? No. i would like to rewrite that ending to be more thought provoking, thoughtful and insightful. I guess it's a matter of intent and the disgression of the programmers of sy-fy, etc.. Once again though we're talking about the lowest common denominator (demon eater) here $ and ratings.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 03:44 PM   #1702
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Isn't a romance/horror hybrid a Gothic?
Often, yes, but Other Kingdoms doesn't really fit that template. The protagonist and POV character is a wounded WW I vet, not an ingenue, and the plot doesn't play out like a traditional Gothic.

It's more of a twisted love triangle between a soldier, a witch, and a sexy fairy princess.

(That being said, I did ask Richard to delete one scene which I thought was too horrific for this particular book. It was indeed at odds with the overall tone of the story.)
Old October 11 2012, 05:08 PM   #1703
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Mockingbird Lane news.

...looks like he series is dead but we'll see the pilot soon, sometime around Halloween.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:23 PM   #1704
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Titus Welliver To Co-Star In ‘Last Ship’ Pilot

Veteran character actor Titus Welliver (Lost, Sons Of Anarchy, The Good Wife) has been cast in TNT‘s action drama pilot The Last Ship, executive produced by Michael Bay. Jonathan Mostow is set to direct the pilot written by Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane. Based on the novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the Earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. Welliver will play Mike Slattery, second in command to Captain Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) onboard the USS Nathan James, a fair man who cares deeply for his family. He and Tom clash at times over what is the best course of action.
Old October 11 2012, 05:23 PM   #1705
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Those are all horror to me. I was just watching Starship Troopers, my favorite sci-fi film and even it's end degenerated into gratuitous horror instead of smart sci-fi. Did we learn anything about the bugs or ourselves in the end? No. i would like to rewrite that ending to be more thought provoking, thoughtful and insightful. I guess it's a matter of intent and the disgression of the programmers of sy-fy, etc.. Once again though we're talking about the lowest common denominator (demon eater) here $ and ratings.
Science Fiction doesn't have to be "smart" or "thought provoking". You don't even have to "learn" anything. The key is in the two words that make up the term: "Science" and "Fiction".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:27 PM   #1706
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't know. Any definition of sf that excludes ALIEN, THE THING, and H. G. Wells (!) seems a little restrictive to me, not to mention divorced from the entire history of the genre.
Old October 11 2012, 05:30 PM   #1707
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Good news about titus Welliver, I hope he gets into a show that goes the distance ths year.

And speaking of Lost alumni, supernatural Western from Carlton Cuse.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:35 PM   #1708
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Those are all horror to me. I was just watching Starship Troopers, my favorite sci-fi film and even it's end degenerated into gratuitous horror instead of smart sci-fi. Did we learn anything about the bugs or ourselves in the end? No. i would like to rewrite that ending to be more thought provoking, thoughtful and insightful.
Well whether or not you consider it thought provoking, Starship Troopers is a satire with the subtelty of a sledgehammer about how war makes fascists of us all. An ending that had the characters try to understand the aliens would undercut their intentional nastiness.

Last edited by Kegg; October 11 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:58 PM   #1709
stj
Rear Admiral

SF is a mode (aka style) of writing where something fantastic is nonetheless supposed to be natural. Horror is a genre (aka narrative form) of writing where the goal is to horrify (scare and/or disgust) the reader. The statement that SF has been bound up with horror is quite correct. We could also add that SF has been bound up with satire since its inspirations in Lucian of Samosata, Cyrano de Bergerac and Swift's Gulliver's Travels. And SF has been bound up with utopia stories as well, as in More's Utopia and Bacon's New Atlantis. But those other things make SF rather unlike fantasy, even though both have the fantastic.
Old October 11 2012, 06:02 PM   #1710
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
^^ And, hopefully, RHW's new show. Defender, I think it is.
Considering the lack of news, it's highly unlikely it will materialize.