RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 735
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 6 2012, 11:24 PM   #1171
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Cloud Atlas - free admission
The Man with the Iron Fists - free admission
Wreck-It Ralph 3D - free admission
Flight - free admission
Jesse Stone: Thin Ice - DVD
Jesse Stone: No Remorse - DVD
Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost - DVD
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - DVD

Watched the seventh movie in the Tom Selleck series yesterday. Nothin' spectacular, but still worth watchin'. Makes me want to check out the novels, so I guess that's a good thing.

Just finished Butch & Sundance on DVD. Picked it up for five bucks at Wal-Mart awhile back, and while I know I've seen bits & pieces (and parodies) of it over the years, I'd never seen the whole thing through. Not too bad a movie, and I can see why folks would have thought it was better back in the day.

Gotta work the next couple of nights, so no clue what the next new movie will be, though I do have a plan to try & see Skyfall at midnight Thursday...
Old November 8 2012, 04:34 AM   #1172
CaptainCanada
Admiral

126. Sabrina (A)

Another old film series at the Screening Room, this time Audrey Hepburn-themed. One of her earliest hits (after the breakout Roman Holiday, which I've already seen), this is a late screwball comedy of sorts. The opening scenes with Hepburn's character make her seem almost like a stalker, but it picks up from there, and has the usual Wilder charm. Humphrey Bogart takes a role in a comedy, not exactly the norm for him (though his dramatic roles always had a pretty heavy dose of wry humour, so I don't know that it actually varies his persona much, just the story around him). Unlike a lot of these stories, the script lets Bogart reveal the truth on his own, without some narrative contrivance, which adds power.

Cinema: 38 (+1)
Home Video: 75
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 06:10 PM   #1173
nvek86
Commander

127. Robot & Frank

A great performance by Langella who plays a former thief suffering from dementia. His son gives him a robot who should take care of the household, but he trains it to become a thief as well.
While there are no big surprises (since the trailer basically shows the whole film), this was a nice little comedy.
Old November 8 2012, 07:05 PM   #1174
Agent Richard07
Admiral

305. The Château (✩✩) - DVD - Two brothers go to France to inherit a chateau. Stars Paul Rudd. Most of the movie involves him butchering the french language in front of the staff. Rudd is pretty good with his improvisational skills but the movie itself isn't very good. It's so poorly shot that it looks like a high school project that's barely worthy of YouTube rather than a motion picture. The two stars I gave it are mostly for Rudd.

306. Skyfall (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - Saw it last night. Wasn't blown away, but I enjoyed elements of it. Bardem was a good psychopathic villain and I like what they did with Q and Naomie Harris' bond girl. Some of the locations were also pretty exquisite. More here.

Theatre: 20
DVD/Blu-ray: 114
Live TV: 120
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 07:35 PM   #1175
Agent Richard07
Admiral

nvek86 wrote: View Post
127. Robot & Frank

A great performance by Langella who plays a former thief suffering from dementia. His son gives him a robot who should take care of the household, but he trains it to become a thief as well.
While there are no big surprises (since the trailer basically shows the whole film), this was a nice little comedy.
Never heard of it. It looks good. Reminds me of Bicentennial Man.

Old November 9 2012, 09:10 AM   #1176
Harvey
Admiral

174. Berberian Sound Studio (A-)
175. Tarantula (C+)
176. The Green Berets (F)

Berberian Sound Studio: There seems to be some discussion over the last act of this film, which enters David Lynch territory. I think it works, but some viewers will undoubtedly view this exercise in surrealism as a betrayal of the first two acts of the movie.

In my view, this will join the likes of Blow Out and The Conversation as one of the great movies to tackle sound rather than the moving image. It's certainly features a well-designed sound scape, which is not to say that it is a dense one. Frequently, the film draws attention to sound by its absence rather than its presence, which is a welcome counterpoint to the bloated mixes of modern blockbusters.

Toby Jones delivers another solid, understated performance here, playing a timid sound designer called in to take charge of an Italian horror film in the 1970s (the movie-within-the-movie is fictional, but it borrows from Suspiria heavily enough that at least one other person in the audience noticed). His character slowly loses control, in both a practical sense (he can never seem to get his reimbursement check for his flight to Italy) and a psychological one (his alienation is well-dramatized visually and sonically; he also can't speak Italian, which further isolates him from his co-workers).

Tarantula: In terms of Jack Arnold's sf output, this film falls in the middle of the pack. It features a couple of good performances (especially Leo G. Carrol, who played small parts in four films for Alfred Hitchcock, but really shines here as an elderly scientist), but the effects mainly consist of ineffective process shots. The movie can't impress in visual style, either (it's set on the Universal backlot and in the Vasquez rocks area, and features a lot of poor day-for-night photography as well as sequences that are underexposed). Only the make-up (on Carrol, who again gets the best material) really impresses.

Still, in terms of 50s sf cheapies, this one is perfectly fine. It's just not as masterful as, say, Arnold's The Creature from the Black Lagoon or that other giant bug movie, T.H.E.M.!

The Delta Force: This is essentially two movies that have been glued together with shoddy plotting, poor direction, and (at best) forgettable acting; neither of these movies are good. The first is a ripped-from-the-headlines airline hijacking, led by Robert Forster (sporting a spray tan and mumbled Arabic that are pretty offensive). My favorite scene may be when Forster (who hates the Jews and is, I think, supposed to be a Muslim) decides to wear a golden ring with a Hebrew inscription for...no discernible reason. The first part of this movie wastes no time blaming civilians (and, through a Jimmy Carter era prologue, liberals) not only for getting soldiers killed, but for losing the Vietnam War(!). Others have surely dismantled it's right-wing ideology.

The second-half is a movie where Chuck Norris gets to save the day (mostly single-handedly, despite having a couple dozen other soldiers with him). Hardly anyone is killed except for the bad guys, and the good soldier who doesn't make it gets a dramatic death scene. The worst part of the movie might be watching Lee Marvin try to play the action hero one last time. He frequently looks physically uncomfortable with the action; although he was only 62, alcoholism had turned his body quite frail -- he looks 70 or older (he died the following year, making this his final film). We're at least granted the dignity of only having to watch him hit on a waitress for a brief scene in the beginning. Still, it's hard watching him (along with several other great old-timers, including Martin Balsam and Shelley Winters) forced into playing second-fiddle to Chuck Norris, a man who has no acting ability to speak of.

Theatres: 58+1
Home Video: 107+2
Computer: 10

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 08:37 PM   #1177
od0_ital
Admiral

Flight - free admission
Skyfall - free admission
The American Scream - free admission
Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to be Said? - Netflix Instant
Heckler - Netflix Instant

Took my buddy Joe to see SKYFALL last night. We each had a Vesper martini to go with the movie, too.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, especially the parts with Q and M. Bardem was a great villian, and the thing with his face...Jesus!

I'm all set for more Daniel Craig as Bond in this continuity, too.

Definately gonna go see this one a couple more times...

- edit, to add -

Went to see the documentary The American Scream this afternoon. Its a look at three families in Fairhaven, Mass, and their preperation for Halloween & the haunted houses each of the family within eight blocks of each other. Rather enjoyable, too, if a bit poorly timed to be playin' the week after Halloween.

Got moved into a new place today, and turns out my new roommates have Netflix!

Just finished watchin' Does This Need to be Said?, the Craig Ferguson concert. I saw the show live in Oklahoma a couple of years ago. Still funny.

Watchin' Jamie Kennedy's documentary Heckler now.

Last edited by od0_ital; November 10 2012 at 05:08 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 10:51 PM   #1178
nvek86
Commander

Bain wrote: View Post
nvek86 wrote: View Post
127. Robot & Frank

Never heard of it. It looks good. Reminds me of Bicentennial Man.
Yeah, the film nearly passed me by too. I just found it by accident, looking at the schedule of a cinema.
Old November 9 2012, 11:27 PM   #1179
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ The trailer makes it look pretty good and it has some big names. I wonder why it's not getting a wider release. Gonna read more on that. I also see that the budget was supposedly $2.5 million. That's pretty impressive for what looks like a more expensive film.
Old November 9 2012, 11:32 PM   #1180
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Skyfall was incredible. I highly recommend it. Not just as a great Bond film but on its own merit as an action thriller. A+
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 04:36 AM   #1181
CaptainCanada
Admiral

127. Skyfall (A)

James Bond returns, after fours years of doing battle with the most nefarious villains of all: MGM bankruptcy lawyers.

The Bond franchise has been notoriously producer-driven (the personal preserve of the Broccoli family, basically). Sam Mendes is, by far, the biggest director who's ever taken the franchise on, and (together with Roger Deakins) the result is one of the most stylish films by far. Plotwise it feels like some of the better of the ideas in GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough have been filtered through the lens of a retro-return to the Connery-era status quo. Essentially, the series reclaiming its distinctive identity after the Bourne-style trappings the first two Craig films immersed themselves in. The result is still more serious than most of the franchise, but it's got some of the spectacle and humour back.

Cinema: 39 (+1)
Home Video: 75
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 08:42 PM   #1182
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

30) Boogie Nights - A- (1997)
31) Argo (2012) - A
32) Cloud Atlas (2012) - C
33) Flight (2012) - B+
34) Skyfall (2012) - A

I remember when the Bourne Films came out there was talk about Bourne being the next Bond and that Bond might have become out of touch with the mainstream as far as the espionage film goes. Well, I think I can safely say after seeing Bourne Legacy (Which was not all that great) and watching Skyfall last night, Bond is back with a vengeance.

This was a great film, and a lot better than Quantum of Solace. This was the first time really where I really started to believe Daniel Craig was my favorite Bond, after years of thinking it was Pierce Brosnan. He got the mannerisms down better, especially his scenes with the New Q (Who I also really really liked) and Moneypenny. Also, Javier Bardem was a great villain. If there was a minor quibble I had with the film it was that some of the scenes felt like they went on forever (Like the scenes in Shanghi, even though it was great to look at) but those ending scenes and getting to know more of Bond's backstory made up for it. Also really liked how it ended, which brings me to this next point:

Looking forward to seeing where Bond goes next.

Theater: 15 (+1)
BluRay: 9
On Demand/TV: 4
Itunes: 6
Old November 10 2012, 10:31 PM   #1183
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
Argo (8)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
Cloud Atlas (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
.hack//The Movie: Beyond The World (7)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (8)
Justice League: Doom (7)
Justice League: New Frontier (6)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Looper (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
The Prestige (10)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Resident Evil (4)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Skyfall (9)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Superman: Doomsday (8)
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (8)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (9)
Taken 2 (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 91
Old November 11 2012, 05:55 PM   #1184
Agent Richard07
Admiral

307. p.s. (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A 39 year old admissions officer invites a student back to her place during the day for sex and what follows is a budding relationship and a lot of past issues that resurface. Stars Laura Linney and Topher Grace. Paul Rudd also has a small role as Linney's character's brother. I think this is the first time I've really seen him in a dramatic piece. Just had to say that. Anyway, back to the movie. The initial sex scene was one of the best I've ever seen. It takes place in real time from the two of them making out on the couch to him putting on the condom to them going at it until they're done. What follows is a somewhat convoluted story about personal issues. It's still interesting enough to watch though. Laura Linney also has a beauty that I've never really noticed before this film.

308. Creation (✩✩✩) - DVD - A slightly fictionalized account of Charles Darwin as he came up with some new ideas about life in the face of a family and a society that believed in the bible. Stars Paul Bettany, Jennifer Connelly and Benedict Cumberbatch before he was famous. I didn't find the movie all that engaging, but I made it to the end. Same old religion versus science debate without anything too insightful, but parts of this argument were integrated into the film nicely through scenes showing us the process of life and nature.

309. The Tree of Life (✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - This is a supremely bizzare movie. It's more of a moving art piece than a story that tells a cohesive narrative. It covers the discord of a family in the 1950s and the effect it has on an older present-day version of one of the kids in that family. These events are shown in the context of the creation of the universe, the galaxy, and life on Earth. We're supposed to think about this family's discord and how it relates to the state of grace. I think. It's a movie where you really have to pay attention and either think about what you're watching or just take it all in and try to see what comes. It reminded me of 2001 and The Fountain. And that's interesting because the fx guy who did 2001 also worked on the creation montage for this movie, as did the company that worked on The Fountain. Stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. She got a lot of buzz last year. This is the first time I saw her in anything. I think. I thought of giving this movie a "Not Rated" score, because it really is hard to grade, but I think I'll go with something middling to decent just for the effects and the voice-over at the beginning that set up the movie's subject matter even if the resulting piece lacked clarity. I looked up the movie at the IMDb and saw a thread called "Where can I get the 6 hour director's cut?" I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Theatre: 20
DVD/Blu-ray: 117
Live TV: 120
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4
Old November 11 2012, 10:20 PM   #1185
od0_ital
Admiral

Flight - free admission
Skyfall - free admission
The American Scream - free admission
Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to be Said? - Netflix Instant
Heckler - Netflix Instant
Kevin Pollack: The Littliest Suspect - Netflix Instant
Goon - Netflix Instant
Conan the Barbarian (2011) - Netflix Instant

Got in from work last night, watched a Kevin Pollack stand up special from 2010. I especially liked the Alan Arkin stories in it.

Followed that up with Goon, the hockey comedy starrin' Sean William Scott & Liev Schreiber. It was alright, not great...but I missed it when it was playin' in theaters earlier this year.

And now I'm watchin' the Conan remake before I have to go to work tonight.