Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 1 2012, 09:55 AM   #1141
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Bain wrote: View Post
299. Fright Night (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A guy who may be a vampire moves innext door. Stars Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. I liked this movie mainly because it tried something different…
Ya know its a remake, right?
Old November 1 2012, 03:43 PM   #1142
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

84. RockNRolla: B-
85. Paranormal Activity 4: B
86. Argo: A+
87. Skyline: F
88. Cop Out: D

Bruce Willis and Tracey Morgan in this buddy cop flick that feels like it's trying to be in the vein of Lethal Weapon. Especially when they toss in Sean William Scott as the thief that is befriended by our duo. He's essentially in the Joe Pesci role. I felt like Bruce did as good as could be expected for the role. It's the first movie of his I've seen in awhile I didn't just instantly like as I was watching it though. I just didn't buy Tracey Morgan as a cop AT ALL, not with that characterization. In hindsight looking at Willis career choices by and large of late he seems to be doing mostly films that might be or already are considered a franchise. He did R.E.D., that sequel is shooting. He took a larger role for Expendables 2, he is in the upcoming G.I.Joe2, of course Die Hard 5 and I think this was probably presented to him as a new spin on Lethal Weapon. His Moonrise Kingdom and Looper's are probably a break from franchise choices.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 04:30 PM   #1143
Agent Richard07
Admiral

cup of g00 wrote: View Post
299. Fright Night (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A guy who may be a vampire moves innext door. Stars Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. I liked this movie mainly because it tried something different…
Yeah.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 01:03 AM   #1144
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Both of these movies have contributed so much to pop culture iconography that it's hard to overstate their influence, but beyond its historical status there's really not much to Dracula. It's stagebound, features a lot of rather poor acting (particularly the guy playing Jonathan Harker), and its climax is particularly unsatisfying; when compared with the far more dramatic and dynamic Frankenstein, released the same year, it seems particularly inadequate.
Agreed. Have you seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula? It takes the same script, but is a little more cinematic in terms of camera placement and movement. Lugosi is probably better than his Spanish-language counterpart, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:09 AM   #1145
od0_ital
Admiral

cup of g00 wrote: View Post
Yeah.
'kay.
Old November 2 2012, 03:47 AM   #1146
CaptainCanada
Admiral

122. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (B)

After two decades' hiatus, Indy returns again, for one of what has become a trend of "old action heroes reprising their roles in their sunset years" films. This attracted some serious dislike from portions of the fandom, and I can understand their POV, even if I don't share it.

Probably the biggest change is that in the 20 years between Last Crusade and this, we've got from the era of practical effects to the era of CGI, and the whole feel of the film is very different. Actually, the film reminds me quite a lot of the sort of madcap action Spielberg would later do in his CGI The Adventures of Tintin -- but I don't think this is really so big a leap for the movies, particularly with things like Indy and co.'s exit from the plane in Temple of Doom. It is a bit amusing that Dr. Jones seems to get tougher the older he gets, but action heroes tend to shed any remaining human vulnerabilities as they go along (compare the most trailer for the fifth Die Hard movie with McClane's activities in the first one).

Then there's the complaint, most famously verbalized in South Park, about aliens not belonging in an Indiana Jones movie. Seriously, why? Why do so many people think this is outside the sort of thing you'd see in these stories? It makes no sense to me, given the sort of pulp source material the Indy series was inspired by, and this already included pretty pervasive supernatural elements. Sci-fi explanations for ancient archaelogy is a pretty standard genre trope.

Oh, and there's Shia LaBeouf. No real defence there, he's lame. It's nice to see Karen Allen back, and I enjoyed Blanchett as the main bad guy.

Cinema: 34
Home Video: 75 (+1)
Computer: 13

Harvey wrote: View Post
Agreed. Have you seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula? It takes the same script, but is a little more cinematic in terms of camera placement and movement. Lugosi is probably better than his Spanish-language counterpart, though.
I've heard of that, but I haven't seen it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:25 AM   #1147
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
Argo (8)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
Cloud Atlas (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
.hack//The Movie: Beyond The World (7)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Doom (7)
Justice League: New Frontier (6)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Looper (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
The Prestige (10)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Resident Evil (4)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Superman: Doomsday (8)
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (8)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (9)
Taken 2 (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 89

Last edited by zakkrusz; November 2 2012 at 07:22 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:39 AM   #1148
od0_ital
Admiral

Cloud Atlas - free admission
The Man with the Iron Fists - free admission

Had to go to a realtors office near a Drafthouse, so I wound up gettin' the paperwork I needed, and goin' to see a movie.

First up, I saw Looper again. Its still awesome.

Then I went to see Cloud Atlas. I will definately be goin' to see it again, just so I'm not distracted tryin' to figure out which actors are playin' which characters in the different eras of the movie.

And now I'm waitin' for the midnight showin' of The Man with the Iron Fists at a different Drafthouse...
Old November 2 2012, 05:52 PM   #1149
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - (B)

After two decades' hiatus, Indy returns again, for one of what has become a trend of "old action heroes reprising their roles in their sunset years" films. This attracted some serious dislike from portions of the fandom, and I can understand their POV, even if I don't share it.

Probably the biggest change is that in the 20 years between Last Crusade and this, we've got from the era of practical effects to the era of CGI, and the whole feel of the film is very different. Actually, the film reminds me quite a lot of the sort of madcap action Spielberg would later do in his CGI The Adventures of Tintin -- but I don't think this is really so big a leap for the movies, particularly with things like Indy and co.'s exit from the plane in Temple of Doom. It is a bit amusing that Dr. Jones seems to get tougher the older he gets, but action heroes tend to shed any remaining human vulnerabilities as they go along (compare the most trailer for the fifth Die Hard movie with McClane's activities in the first one).

Then there's the complaint, most famously verbalized in South Park, about aliens not belonging in an Indiana Jones movie. Seriously, why? Why do so many people think this is outside the sort of thing you'd see in these stories? It makes no sense to me, given the sort of pulp source material the Indy series was inspired by, and this already included pretty pervasive supernatural elements. Sci-fi explanations for ancient archaelogy is a pretty standard genre trope.
Preach it! I can understand certain aesthetic complaints in regards to the filming technique and any given scene one has as "cheesy"(for me it's swinging with the monkey's) but I get that as a nod to the Tarzan films of the 50's which is where the film seems to be taking it's nostalgia.

Aliens aren't that big a leap if they are a leap at all. The in story issue I had was that Lucas/Speilberg or whoever couldn't just leave it at aliens. They had to "live in the spaces between the spaces" and the extra narrative is my .

The online beef with the "nuke fridge" and yet in TDKR nary a peep about Batman's nuke escape.
KoCS is a much better film, with a few admitted issues, than many want to admit.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 05:56 PM   #1150
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
KoCS is a much better film, with a few admitted issues, than many want to admit.
No, it isn't.
Old November 2 2012, 09:06 PM   #1151
nvek86
Commander

125. Shrek Forever After

While the "alternate reality" was a nice idea, the film as a whole was just average.
Old November 2 2012, 09:12 PM   #1152
od0_ital
Admiral

Cloud Atlas - free admission
The Man with the Iron Fists - free admission
Wreck-It Ralph 3D - free admission
Flight - free admission

Went to the first 3D show of the day for the new one from Disney. I enjoyed it - the established game character cameos were well done, and I liked seein' 'em poke fun at the first person shooters.

There was a nice short before the movie, and a trailer for Monsters, Inc, which is gettin' re-released, this time in 3D, next month.

Just about to see Flight, it starts in ten minutes. Gotta get the new movies out of the way, since I work openin' shifts the rest of the weekend...
Old November 3 2012, 03:35 AM   #1153
CaptainCanada
Admiral

123. Flight (A-)

Robert Zemeckis returns to the land of live-action for the first time since 2000, while Denzel Washington takes his first non-paycheque role in a while, and shags a white woman onscreen for the first time I can recall.

This is a rare bird indeed: an adult-targeted, R-rated character drama produced by a major studio. It's also a pretty big departure from Zemeckis, who hasn't done anything R-rated in a very long time, and Washington only occasionally heads into territory like this, but in doing so he gives one of his best performances, and his best in a very long time (and I'm a big fan of the work he did in American Gangster). It's got a large cast of strong actors, including Bruce Greenwood, Don Cheadle, Tamara Tunie (who has one really dynamite scene), and John Goodman (who is prominent in the advertising but only has really three scenes, and who also appears to have borrowed his wardrobe from Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski). Kelly Reilly has the other really substantive role in the movie apart from Washington, and delivers a terrific performance. As you'd expect from Zemeckis, the technical aspects of the film are matchless.

Oh, and Nadine Velazquez looks great naked.

Cinema: 35 (+1)
Home Video: 75

- Homer Simpson
Old November 3 2012, 06:33 AM   #1154
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

123. Flight (A-)

Robert Zemeckis returns to the land of live-action for the first time since 2000, while Denzel Washington takes his first non-paycheque role in a while, and shags a white woman onscreen for the first time I can recall.

This is a rare bird indeed: an adult-targeted, R-rated character drama produced by a major studio. It's also a pretty big departure from Zemeckis, who hasn't done anything R-rated in a very long time, and Washington only occasionally heads into territory like this, but in doing so he gives one of his best performances, and his best in a very long time (and I'm a big fan of the work he did in American Gangster). It's got a large cast of strong actors, including Bruce Greenwood, Don Cheadle, Tamara Tunie (who has one really dynamite scene), and John Goodman (who is prominent in the advertising but only has really three scenes, and who also appears to have borrowed his wardrobe from Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski). Kelly Reilly has the other really substantive role in the movie apart from Washington, and delivers a terrific performance. As you'd expect from Zemeckis, the technical aspects of the film are matchless.

Oh, and Nadine Velazquez looks great naked.

Cinema: 35 (+1)
Really going to try to see this movie this weekend (Maybe Monday). I've been looking forward to it for a while and it looks really really good. I'm happy for all the positive reviews.
Old November 4 2012, 05:49 AM   #1155
CaptainCanada
Admiral

124. Wreck-It Ralph (A+)

Two movies tonight, at two different theatres downtown; there was about a half-hour between them, which lined up nicely. The evening progressed from the sublime to the ridiculous.

To start, Disney delivers their best film since The Lion King (not to say it's that good, mind you), easily outclassing the last two films from Pixar (indeed, while it will take some rewatching, I think this sits happily in that company). I have very little experience with the arcade games that form the basis for this, so I'm not even in the older nostalgia crowd, but the film works wonderfully on every level, from the animation, to the story, to the terrific voicework (particularly John C. Reilly).

125. The Room (F)

That would probably also be an A+ in terms of entertainment value, between the constant hilarity of the movie itself and the enjoyable group theatre experience. This is the first F I've handed out, because usually even terrible mainstream movies have some technical merit and basic scene construction.

I've seen the internet highlight reels, but I couldn't miss this screening of Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece. And there's so much more to it then a ten-minute collection of clips could get across, including irrelevant supporting characters, the full extent of the pointless sex scenes, and dialogue where every sentence seems only tangentially related to the preceding and subsequent ones. It's the kind of thing that can only be made when someone with no talent is absolutely convinced that they're making art.

Both movies highly recommended, though for very different reasons.

Cinema: 37 (+2)

- Homer Simpson