TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 18 2012, 06:59 AM   #1096
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
.hack//The Movie: Beyond The World (7)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Doom (7)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Looper (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Taken 2 (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 81
Old October 18 2012, 04:30 PM   #1097
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

79. Dredd: A-
80. Bridesmaids: C-
81. Taken 2: B
82. Atlas Shrugged-Part Two: C+
83. Alex Cross: A-

I attended a sneak showing of this and really enjoyed it overall. I went with an A- but was waffling on B+. Bottom line is that it was a thoroughly enjoyable film. It's been so long since I've seen the Morgan Freeman installments, and I've not read any press details to know, if this is a continuation or type of reboot/re-imagining. It's the first film I've seen Tyler Perry in a leading role. I'm just not drawn to his other more well known series, maybe I'll watch some of them at some point. I found him to convincingly show a range of emotions and gravitas. I was equally impressed with Matthew Fox as the sociopathic assassin. The little girl in the movie had one really good scene with her father Alex after a sad situation. Very convincing performance out of her in that moment. My one big gripe was the final fight sequence. For that they utilized shaky cam and all it did was marginalize the moment. It was hard to fully determine who was getting the upper hand, when momentum was shifting during the fight. My guess is they did it to maybe to show disorientation, especially for Alex since he gets suckered by a blow to the back with a lead pipe to start the fight. Still, it ruined what should've been an awesome climatic fight.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:40 PM   #1098
Harvey
Admiral

163. Chinatown (A+)

Chinatown: Still a classic after all these years, I can't think of a single thing wrong with this movie. It is beautifully photographed, well-directed, tightly-written, perfectly-acted, and nicely scored by Jerry Goldsmith (mixing a romantic theme evocative of movies of the period with his more modernist tendencies of the 70s). I still haven't seen the 1990 follow-up, but reviews suggest it doesn't compare to this film.

Theatres: 53
Home Video: 100+1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:01 AM   #1099
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Pete's Dragon - BluRay - I wanted to share one of my favorite films from when I was a child with my sons. So I picked the film up yesterday and we watched it today, together. First thing I have to comment on is the beauty of the transfer, the movie is stunning. I only have a fuzzy recollection of the movie, last time I saw it was on broadcast tv as part of the Wonderful World of Disney when I was about 12, so over 30 years ago.

I was worried about my sons enjoying it but my fears were quickly vanquished within the first few minutes and they were laughing already. My sons loved the movie, to say love it is an understatment for they wanted to watch it again right away but it was time for bath and bed. It so brought me back, I loved it as much today as when I first saw it in the Theater and the last time I saw it on tv. Because of my fuzzy memory of it, I didn't realize how great the cast was, Helen Reddy as Nora is simply great. Mickey Rooney is simply at his Mickey best. Red Button in such a fun roll and probably the person who steals the movie, Shelly Winters as Lena Gogan.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 03:56 AM   #1100
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hatari! - DVD
Bachelorette - free admission
Hotel Transylvania 3D - free admission
Looper - free admission
Won't Back Down - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Pitch Perfect - free admission
Frankenweenie 3D - free admission
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - free admission
Miami Connection (1987) - employee screenin'
Salt - DVD
The House at the End of the Street - theater
Wake in Fright - free admission
Sinister - free admission
Beer is Cheaper than Therapy - matinee
Here Comes the Boom - free admission
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee
Paranormal Activity 2: Extended Director's Cut - DVD
Paranormal Activity 3 - DVD

Gettin' ready for Paranormal Activity 4!

I rewatched Paranormal Activity on DVD the other day. Watched it for the first time a couple of years ago, before the second one came out.

Saw the theatrical cut of the second one at an advanced screenin'.

Finished the extended cut of the second one on DVD this mornin' before work. The case says its seven minutes longer than the theatrical version, but I only noticed two differences from what I saw a couple of years ago - the teenager & her boyfriend gettin' caught in the hot tub & the father boilin' his balls in the hot tub the next day.

Watchin' the theatrical cut of the third movie on DVD now, with a plan to watch the unrated director's cut tomorrow-ish.

And I'll be gettin' together with my friend Chellis to see the fourth PA this Wednesday for free, since its the only new movie any of the Austin Alamo Drafthouses are showin' this week.

Wish we had gotten Alex Cross...wanna see it, but to pay for it, too? Why, god, why???
Old October 21 2012, 03:03 AM   #1101
Lord Garth
Captain

Movies seen in 2012 for the first time: not a lot.

A Crack in the Earth (1964) -- *** (a solid pre-Star Wars science-fiction film)
AEon Flux (2005) -- *** (great commentary on the decay caused by constant recycling, substitute people for franchises and you'll see the film was ahead of its time)
Barbarella (1968) - N/A (so bad it's good... so I can't bring myself to call it one-star even though I should)
The Andromeda Strain (1971) -- **1/2 (I don't care if Robert Wise directed it, it's over-rated)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - ** (don't argue, let's just agree to disagree)
Mr. Deeds (2002) - **1/2 (better than I expected because I usually can't stand Adam Sandler)
Prometheus (2012) -- **** (a much more ambitious concept than the Alien series, and I'm a bigger Alien fan than Star Trek)
Take Me Home (2011) -- ***1/2 (a good romantic comedy and road movie rolled into one)
The Transatlantic Tunnel (1935) -- **1/2 (not bad per se, but a little plodding)
When Do We Eat? (2005) -- *** (not recommended for the more conservative-minded)

I use a four-star scale. Yeah, this has been more of a TV year for me.

I don't remember if I saw AEon Flux the beginning of this year, or the end of last, but I'll throw it in anyway.

Soon I'll be adding Argo, Skyfall, and A Cabin in the Woods to the list.

One more thing: I got to see Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in a theater this past summer. I'd only ever seen it on VHS or DVD. TFF was the first Star Trek film I saw in the theater. It didn't convert me. I didn't become a fan, in fact, until I saw TVH on video when my parents bought it around the beginning of 1991. We only had a VCR for six months at that point.

Last edited by Lord Garth; October 21 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 04:06 AM   #1102
CaptainCanada
Admiral

113. King Kong (1933) (A)

This was the second feature at the Screening Room's weekly "Birth of Horror" series, which I didn't actually get to see, because the Queen's Law Journal annoyingly scheduled an overlapping work session. But I rented it anyway, to watch on a considerably smaller screen, and having seen it I regret not getting a chance to see it theatres. Every appearance by the titular giant ape is captivating -- I can imagine what it would have been like to see this onscreen in 1933, and while effects have obviously advanced enormously since then, the knowledge of how much work this would have been means that the scenes keep their "wow" factor in a way many other films with dated special effects don't. The characters are mostly forgettable, but whatever, this is a rare film that I found very enjoyable to watch despite how almost every scene has been referenced, parodied, and copied ad infinitum.

Seeing this also means I've now seen at least one film from every year from 1930 to the present.

Cinema: 31
Home Video: 69
Computer: 13 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 10:04 AM   #1103
nvek86
Commander

122. The Man from Earth

This film is basically several people talking in one room, so it needed a strong script and strong actors to make it work - it's got the great script and for the most part the actors are very good as well. The concept is brilliant (a man trying to convince his friends that he is an immortal), so I am thankful that they pulled it off so well.
Old October 21 2012, 10:45 AM   #1104
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ I saw that last year and thought it was an excellent little scifi piece.

286. The Ides of March (✩✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - A campaign manager stick handles his way through the machinations of the political system as he works to get a govornor elected to the presidency. Stars Ryan Gosling and directed by George Clooney. It also has an impressive supporting cast that includes Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marissa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, Gregory Itzin and Evan Rachel Wood. It was adapted from a play called Farragut North. It's writer based the story and its characters on his own experiences with a recent political campaign. The movie was raw, very gripping, pretty cynical, and I liked the turns and developments. It also looked like George Clooney, who plays the candidate, infused a bit of his own politics into the movie through his character.

287. The Last Unicorn (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - I don't review movies in this thread that I've already seen, but I'm reviewing this one because I don't think I really saw it the first time when it was shown at my school in the early 80s as part of movie day. So here we go... I really saw it this time and did so with fresh new eyes. This is an animated movie about a lone unicorn that sets out to find others of her kind that were driven away by the Red Bull. I remember the Red Bull being pretty scary as well as a bit at the end, but not much else. The bull wasn't as scary this time around, but the movie itself is pretty good. It had what I thought were some good insights into the spiritual side of life. I was also surprised at the mild nudity with an emphasis on bosoms. I'm just surprised that a kids movie could get away with showing such content. Anyway, as far as animated movies go, this is one of the better ones.

288. Daybreakers (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Most of the human race has turned into vampires and the blood supply is running out. Stars Ethan Hawke and Sam Neill. It was a pretty solid movie with a decent commentary on the pharmaceutical industry.

289. From Dusk Till Dawn (✩✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Finally saw this. It never looked very good to me, so I wasn't in any rush to see it. Well, I loved it. I like how it's a movie in two parts. Part one is pretty grounded with two criminals on the run with a family held hostage, but then it goes all wacky when it shifts gears and turns into a vampire slasher horror movie. I also loved the Tarantino-style B-movie/70s exploitation schlock. It really added a sense of fun to the action. And here's one of my favorite parts...

George Clooney pretty much says it all.

290. Post Grad (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - An ambitious college grad finds her perfect plans dashed when she doesn't get her dream job and can't find work. Stars Alexis Bledel and Michael Keaton. Bledel was a joy to watch and Michael Keaton was a real hoot. This was the funniest I've seen him.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 108
Live TV: 115
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 40
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 05:11 PM   #1105
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

26) Premium Rush (2012) - B-
27) The Bourne Legacy (2012) - C
28) Haywire (2012) - B
29) LA Confidential - A (1997)
30) Boogie Nights - A- (1997)
31) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - C-

Man I was surprised on how slow and boring this movie was. There's barely any action, it really is just guys sitting in a dark room whispering stuff, and I was somewhat disappointed because the hype for this movie was pretty good I remember. The only reason I gave it a C- was because Gary Oldman was very good and the music was atmospheric. Other than that, this isn't a movie I would seek out to watch again.

Theater: 11
BluRay: 10 (+1)
On Demand/TV: 4
Itunes: 6

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:37 PM   #1106
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

81. Taken 2: B
82. Atlas Shrugged-Part Two: C+
83. Alex Cross: A-
84. RockNRolla: B-
85. Paranormal Activity 4: B

RockNRolla: I jumped this one up the queue cause of Tom Hardy. Didn't realize he was in it when I put it in there. I really liked the story but some of the humor didn't work for me otherwise I might've gone with A. Good cast, worth checking out for sure imo.

Paranormal Activity 4: gave a few thoughts in the thread here.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 01:33 AM   #1107
od0_ital
Admiral

Hatari! - DVD
Looper - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Salt - DVD
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee
Paranormal Activity 2: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
The Mummy (1932) - free admission
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D - free admission
Paranormal Activity 3: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD

Went over to the Drafthouse S Lamar this afternoon for a Universal double feature.

First up, the Boris Karloff original Mummy movie...I still like the Brendan Fraser version, but this one wasn't bad, considerin' its age.

Waited about an hour, and then got into a restored 3D print of Creature from the Black Lagoon. I enjoyed it, too, especially the underwater sequences in 3D.

Still workin' my way through the unrated director's cut of Paranormal Activity 3, or else I'd add it to the list, too.

- edit, to add -

Finished the director's (directors'? since there were two of 'em, right?) cut of PA3 this mornin'. Only noticed a few differences (mostly involvin' Randy, the assistant, early on) and the bit with the babysitter & the blanket is still the best part of the movie.

All set to see the fourth one with my friend Chellis on Wednesday!

Last edited by od0_ital; October 22 2012 at 04:12 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 09:17 PM   #1108
nvek86
Commander

123. Judge Dredd

There are some hints and elements that show that it could have been an interesting film, so it's disappointing that the end result is so mediocre. Well, it nearly works as an unintentional comedy...
Old October 23 2012, 04:09 AM   #1109
od0_ital
Admiral

Hatari! - DVD
Looper - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Salt - DVD
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee
Paranormal Activity 2: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
The Mummy (1932) - free admission
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D - free admission
Paranormal Activity 3: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
Alex Cross - matinee

Decided to skip the free screenin' of Cloud Atlas tonight, went to an early bird matinee of Alex Cross, instead.

I agree with Captain Craig, the shaky cam durin' the final fight sequence was out of place and annoyin'. Completely unnecessary.

And I don't see why this couldn't have just been a generic cop drama. They just used Alex Cross for the name, or brand or whatever, 'cause the character Tyler Perry was playin' wasn't the same guy from the books.

But, I will give 'em credit for not usin' an origin story to develop Alex Cross as a bad ass detective/profiler. No flashbacks to the police academy or medical school. They didn't have to show him assemblin' his team, they were already there. And the movie kicked off with 'em chasin' a baddie. Kinda wish the folks who made superhero movies would follow this approach.

Think I may go see Seven Psychopaths tomorrow. For sure goin' to see An American Werewolf in London tomorrow night...
Old October 23 2012, 05:24 AM   #1110
CaptainCanada
Admiral

114. Tomorrow Never Dies (B)

While buying Moonrise Kingdom on a visit to FutureShop, they had a few of the new James Bond Blu-rays there (in addition to the huge set) for $9. I got this, which I'd seen before, but not in many years, as well as On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which is rated as one of the best but I've never gotten around to seeing it.

Anyway, I'd say this is a pretty decent movie, though not as good as I remembered when I saw it in the 90s (much younger then, was I). The Brosnan films (the first three, anyway) had really good villains, and Pryce's Carver is a lot of fun. Most of the one-liners are horrible, but then, that's Bond for you; there's probably a tone about halfway between this and some of the grimmer parts of the Craig films that would likely be ideal for the franchise. There are a number of examples of mid-90s CGI that haven't aged especially well.

The best thing about the film is (as, I remembered) Michelle Yeoh's ass-kicking Wai Lin, by far the most useful Bond girl the franchise has ever had. If she and Brosnan had any real sexual chemistry, she'd be easily the best; as it is, she's an awesome partner for 007, but they don't exactly light up the screen, so she'll have to settle for being one of the best.

Cinema: 31
Home Video: 70 (+1)
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote